Windows 10: Desktop Background problems

Discus and support Desktop Background problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; About 2 weeks ago, I haven't been able to change my desktop background. I opened the Personalization Settings and notice it goes back and forth between... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tuddley3, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Tuddley3 Win User

Desktop Background problems

About 2 weeks ago, I haven't been able to change my desktop background. I opened the Personalization Settings and notice it goes back and forth between Picture and Solid Color. So when I try to make a picture off the internet, or a screenshot from a PC game, it changes the desktop background/Wallpaper to solid color. If I try it again, it changes back to the previous wallpaper.

I can however see different wallpapers with the SLIDESHOW function. I then turn off slideshow and back to picture and when I reboot windows it goes back to Solid Color. Also the same happens when exiting a PC game, and sometimes the wallpaper is super distorted except for about an inch along the top.

So in short, I can't add any new wallpapers.

Also I have the latest Win10 Update.

Thank you,
    Todd

:)

Tuddley3, Jan 28, 2016

2. Desktop Background Problems

It shows pictures from a folder unrelated to the one I chose. Tried the Windows Run command and it still doesn't work. Not sure how to fix this!

Torie Smith-Israel, Jan 28, 2016
  3. Desktop Background Problems

A: Is it showing you the images from the Pictures folder or your custom folder? When you click "Browse" it's always going to browse from a Pictures-y folder because that's what that dialog likes to do.

B: The setting should be right once you set it: the visual is just wrong. Known bug.

You can run exactly:

control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper

from a WIN+R (Run) prompt to use the older control panel where you might not hit this.

zachd [MSFT], Jan 28, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Try saving what picture you prefer to.....save as (by right clicking mouse).....in Pictures....go to Personalisation.....under choose your picture click on browse...then you can use your chosen background from Pictures.

dencal, Jan 28, 2016
  5. Tuddley3 Win User
    Same thing happens. I chose a photo from the Pictures folder and selected it and it went immediately to Solid Color. So I clicked on the drop down list and chose Picture and it showed my old background.

I appreciate your tip, thanks for trying.

Another thing. When PICTURE is selected, there are 5 pictures to choose from. When I click on any of them it switches to SOLID COLOR. Even the little preview window shows the photo I want, but not on the desktop.
    Desktop Background problems [​IMG]

Tuddley3, Jan 28, 2016
  6. Are you saving the Wallpaper? If you don't it revert back to the Wallpaper your trying to replace. Also if you are logging in using your Microsoft account it will change the wallpaper on every device you login to with that account.

orlbuckeye, Jan 28, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    Can you do a Command Prompt (admin)...right click M$ cone....and copy paste the following to check all ok.
    sfc /scannow

dencal, Jan 29, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

Just right click the background in the Pictures Library and choose "Set as desktop background" from the menu.

Desktop Background problems [​IMG]

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop Background problems - Similar Threads - Desktop Background problems

2. Problem Changing Image Background used on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem Changing Image Background used on Desktop: I recently activated OneDrive on my Laptop and I only mentioned it as the only known change. I am using an Acer Laptop with Win10 and this is something I have managed many times in the past. I am trying to change the Desktop Image using the Personalize option. But this time...
  3. Desktop background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop background: Hello my pc background changed while my pc was turned off.And it is a troll picture so someone who knows me made it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background/7bf70d62-fda5-4554-8311-eccfe79d0bf2
  4. desktop background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop background: Ho do I change the amount of time between picture changes on my Windows 10 background? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background/85ab920d-8574-4999-8974-92070b72e0dc
  5. desktop background

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop background: Ho do I change the amount of time between picture changes on my Windows 10 background? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background/85ab920d-8574-4999-8974-92070b72e0dc
  6. desktop background

desktop background: I want to display my photo as a background on the desktop. It is important to have the photo fully displayed. Is it possible? If yes, how can I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background/9c674a73-e7e4-4f38-a1c5-007e31f9b60b
  7. desktop background

desktop background: How do I keep as my desktop background the beautiful pictures that seem to come from webshots? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background/b4ad2c56-14e3-4004-bcb4-b780fc75c0bd
  8. Desktop Background Picture problem

Desktop Background Picture problem: Though I can't be sure, it appears that something in the last update, or the one before the last, has changed my desktop background picture. It used to be extremely clear and crisp, and now it is very hazy and washed out. Could it have something to do with the custom...
  9. Desktop Background

Desktop Background: Hi Microsoft Team, I'm Vansh, a very frequent customer and faithful one too of yours. But I'm facing a problem now. I've tried each and every size of image on my desktop background but it still becomes blurry, no matter it is equal to the resolution of screen (resolution/size...
  10. Problem with desktop background changing

Problem with desktop background changing: I have googled this for days now and tried all the remedies offered and none seems to work for me. I have an image which I want to use for desktop background. I select it in personalize/background/ picture. In a couple of minutes the background changes to an all black...