Windows 10: Desktop cannot start

Discus and support Desktop cannot start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I could not power up my desktop but with a lot of finagling I got it going(power cord - in out). Somehow, luckily , I got something on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by maranna, Jan 23, 2016.

1. maranna Win User

Desktop cannot start

Hello
    I could not power up my desktop but with a lot of finagling I got it going(power cord - in out).
    Somehow, luckily , I got something on my monitor and the power button went from yellow+steady, to white.
    Using Macrium I recovered an image. I then ran SFC, Dell diagnostics + all fine now ).

Question, I have a rescue flash drive WinPE for Windows 10.
    Could I have booted from it to get to see something on the monitor even if I could not get in the BIOS or even get anything on the screen?
    Do you just hold the power button until the flash drive takes over?
    I do not know how to use a rescue media if I cannot start the PC and googling is not helping.
    I cannot ask the Macrium forum as I am not a paid member.
    I have run MBAM with exploit and Defender. I also have SpywareBlaster and am behind a router.
    Thank you
    Peter

:)

maranna, Jan 23, 2016

2. After upgrading to Windows 10, I cannot access desktop. I cannot find a Desktop tile either.

Original Title - Cannot access Desktop!

Hello,

After upgrading to Windows 10, I cannot access desktop. I cannot find a Desktop tile either. All I see at all times when I am not on a window, is the tiles/start screen. I want to be able to access the desktop itself. Thank you.

SueannetteNunez, Jan 23, 2016
  3. start menu in windows 10

I cannot close the start menu; so I cannot see the desktop icons

barbershop3, Jan 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Desktop cannot start

To boot from external media you need to be able to load code from the BIOS flash into RAM.
    Further, in order to boot from an external device, the order of boot devices needs to be changed from MS default to specify a USB device or a CD/DVD.

So if you can't get your BIOS shown on your monitor or screen, that becomes a hardware issue.

dalchina, Jan 24, 2016
  5. maranna Win User
    >>Yes, it could be a failing p.s. or mobo or.... I am not skilled enough to trouble shoot so will report symptoms.

I think I should have held the power button down longer to boot. I'll see if there are any other symptoms as it is good to date. Thank you for the reply.
    Peter

maranna, Jan 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I'm now thinking that perhaps your actual question is
    How can I boot from a bootable USB device or CD/DVD?

For whatever reason manufacturers don't make that so easy. The order of boot devices (your hard disk, USB device, CD/DVD drive) is set in your BIOS or UEFI - whichever one your PC has.

Originally to get to BIOS settings you would hit a key as the PC booted (typically some information flashes up too quickly to see about those keys as you boot up).

If your system uses UEFI it's different.
    Here's how - provided your PC boots up.
    How To Access UEFI Firmware Settings In Windows 10

Thus it becomes a priority to set the boot order so that your PC boots first from a CD/DVD or USB device, and so use recovery and other tools.

If your PC won't boot so you can do this it may be possible to force it to show the UEFI settings by removing the disk (I'm not sure, and it may depend on your particular PC).

dalchina, Jan 25, 2016
  7. maranna Win User
    I am capable of maneuvering within UEFI to set the boot order and to disable secure boot then enable CSM. With macrium and Aomei the flash drive rescue media boots right to the imaging program. My problem was that when I pressed the power button, nothing appeared on the screen to allow any selections. I think, in retrospect, I could have held the power button a bit longer and it would have powered down and ready to boot up. Maybe my PSU is failing . I ran 1 1/2 hours of hardware diagnostics, PSU not included, to my knowledge, and all tests well. I have a Seagate SMART hard drive which tested well with therm also.
    Now that I am running all seems to be OK. Incidentally, I tried macrium and until I reached install it was free and at that pint it was 'trial'. I may have blundered as 2 members here have suggested but I think it is a misrepresentations as it appears free until installation. I lost all my macrium images but Aomei seems faster and have imaged there. This is just an incidental addendum so others are alerted to the same thing.
    Peter

maranna, Jan 25, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

Desktop cannot start

jds63, Jan 25, 2016
  9. maranna Win User
    I tried and got as far as two screens showing the machines data but was unable to send them to you. Let me try again.

maranna, Jan 25, 2016
  10. jds63 Win User
    Just the sensors info i need, use Control + Print Screen, select Paint left click in the center of Paint and press paste in Paint, save to jpeg.

jds63, Jan 25, 2016
  11. maranna Win User
    I hope this helps. Please let me know if you see any red flags or if this is not what you wanted.

maranna, Jan 25, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    No,sorry, see yellow Sensors on menu bar of HWInfo. Page may be long so might have to take 2 screen captures to include all sensor pages to see the Power Supply info. Giving now is GPU and CPU specs

jds63, Jan 27, 2016
  13. maranna Win User

Desktop cannot start

Let me know if this is what you need. If it is not please tell m where I should click on the program so you can see if my PSU is OK. I am looking everywhere for it.
    Thank you

maranna, Jan 28, 2016
  14. jds63 Win User
    Think it is a little further up on it's page, i see some voltages there are a bit low +12v and +3.3v, show you from my image.

Desktop cannot start [​IMG]

What is still happening with the PC, has been 3 days since last response, still having starting issues ?

jds63, Jan 28, 2016
  15. maranna Win User
    PC has been OK. if you still need more than I have provided please tel me where to look and if it is OK I will close the issue -OK?

maranna, Jan 29, 2016
Thema:

Desktop cannot start

1. Desktop cannot start - Similar Threads - Desktop cannot start

2. Cannot start Remote Desktop Services in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot start Remote Desktop Services in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]There are reports by both Windows 11 and Windows 10 PC users whereby after installing a recent Windows update, they cannot start Remote Desktop Services on their system, and they see an error message Windows could not start the Remote Desktop Services service on Local...
  3. Cannot start Remote Desktop Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot start Remote Desktop Service: I have a new Windows 11 PC and I am not able to start Remote Desktop Service. Based on other threads, I think BitDefender altered the registry for TermService. I have another Windows 11 machine where it starts fine. I exported the registry for term service and imported it on...
  4. Cannot start Remote Desktop Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot start Remote Desktop Service: I have a new Windows 11 PC and I am not able to start Remote Desktop Service. Based on other threads, I think BitDefender altered the registry for TermService. I have another Windows 11 machine where it starts fine. I exported the registry for term service and imported it on...
  5. cannot save to desktop

cannot save to desktop: I cannot save documents to he desktop. Told to unhide hidden item in file explorer. However this just acts as a toggle - set to unhide then doc appears. Save another doc to desktop and nothing shows. Go and 'hide' docs remove tick and it appears on desktop. Something...
  6. The start menu covers my desktop and I cannot close it

in Windows 10 Customization
    The start menu covers my desktop and I cannot close it: The start menu covers my desktop and I cannot close it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-start-menu-covers-my-desktop-and-i-cannot/6fb27dd7-299e-4b39-a314-d1749eaa29f3
  7. File name starts with an underscore "_" cannot be deleted on the desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File name starts with an underscore "_" cannot be deleted on the desktop.: Hi, I was saving an pdf article in Chrome via the print function on my account desktop. After reading that i tried to delete it but the delete function gives me no response, which usually there is a prompt box to confirm whether I wish to put to the recycling bin. The...
  8. starting a desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    starting a desktop: i recently got a refurbish computer , when i turn it on it starts to boot up about half way through it gives a stop code inaccessible boot device. do you have any advice for this problem....
  9. Start to Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start to Desktop: When I log on in Windows 10 it automatic go to the Start screen. That is ok for 90%. How do I toggle between the Start screen and the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-to-desktop/147fa8dd-cf69-4b78-b919-afca96171c5e
  10. Cannot start different PDFs on different desktops

Cannot start different PDFs on different desktops: This is a possible glitch. I want to have two desktops with a different PDF loaded on each one. When I try to load the second PDF on the 2nd desktop, it switches back to Desktop 1 and opens the PDF there instead. 4586