Windows 10: Desktop contents missing after upgrade

Discus and support Desktop contents missing after upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After upgrading to 10, all of my previous desktop icons are missing, including folders, shortcuts, etc. Windows 10 icons are present. How do I restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by grumps, May 21, 2016.

1. grumps Win User

Desktop contents missing after upgrade

After upgrading to 10, all of my previous desktop icons are missing, including folders, shortcuts, etc. Windows 10 icons are present.
    How do I restore my previous Desktop?

:)

grumps, May 21, 2016

2. Missing Desktop contents after upgrade to Windows 10

Nothing wrong with storing your files on the desktop, its a folder like any other. The only reason why they don't recommend storing files there is, it slows down loading the desktop. I am going to escalate this and see if it gets any attention.

I am also going to setup a VM and try this myself to see what happens.

Andre Da Costa, May 21, 2016
  3. Missing Desktop contents after upgrade to Windows 10

Thanks for the feedback Andre; it seems the Desktop folder is the only one affected by this. I can actually recover the lost files with ShadowExplorer. The files were nowhere to be found, not in temporary accounts, not in the Public user folder, not in
    windows.old, they were truly gone. I'm trying to figure out why, but right now my best guess is that it's a bug in the upgrade process.

Robert de G., May 21, 2016
  4. Desktop contents missing after upgrade

Lottiemansion, May 21, 2016
  5. grumps Win User
    Folders in windows.old/users/ are all empty. Upgrade just 2 days old.

grumps, May 22, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Are you looking at an empty desktop, or are you looking at Start Menu screen ?
    What's my point ?
    I am wondering if you are actually in Tablet Mode.
    Click the Notification icon next to Time > click Tablet Mode.
    Does that bring you back to your normal desktop ?

davidhk, May 22, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    If none of that works, try looking in c:\users\TEMP\desktop

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop contents missing after upgrade

1. Desktop contents missing after upgrade - Similar Threads - Desktop contents missing

2. Right Click Content Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click Content Missing: Hi, When i am in my Local Drives Not in Drive C in I Cannot Create New Files like Word, Excel, Text, etc when i right click, It only gives me an option for New > New Folder. But When i am in desktop every option is available , Can you please help...
  3. Right Click Content Missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click Content Missing: Hi, When i am in my Local Drives Not in Drive C in I Cannot Create New Files like Word, Excel, Text, etc when i right click, It only gives me an option for New > New Folder. But When i am in desktop every option is available , Can you please help...
  4. Right Click Content Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Task view, desktop contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task view, desktop contents: Hi, If I add desktops in TaskView, and open one, they all have same contents same webpages, same excels open etc. If I close one tab in e.g Desktop 1, it also closes in e.g Desktop 2 = all desktops are identical.Question: how do I get different contents to different desktops?...
  6. Content missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Content missing: This morning, 08/24, when I turned-on my computer I started receiving the following alertIt happens when I access the games and after I click close, it is gone but it comes back after about 30 seconds. That cycle repeats as long as I'm logged-in to a game. I restarted my...
  7. Contents in the toolbar are missing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Contents in the toolbar are missing.: [ATTACH] As the above marked, content names in the file explorer are missing, can anyone tell me how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/contents-in-the-toolbar-are-missing/f8d3cead-7c46-447e-bda4-3522f2afdc8d
  8. Lost content of windows.old after upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost content of windows.old after upgrade: Hi there, I have a very vital problem. Some weeks ago, I corrupted the boot file for my windows when attempting splitting partitions to enable dual boot. Yesterday, I reinstalled windows with a bootable disk for windows preview that I had in 2018. Everything worked...
  9. Purchased Minecraft content is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purchased Minecraft content is missing: Hello. I purchased minecraft windows 10 edition and some minecoins. I tried to purchase some items , sometimes I had problems and I fix them by ressetting the app. Now I can't access to my template world Even I have purchased it , sign in to the xbox account that I purchased...
  10. All the files from desktop are missing after recent upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All the files from desktop are missing after recent upgrade: My computer just upgraded on 10/9/2018 to the latest version of Windows 10 and now all the files, folders and shortcuts on my desktop are missing....