Windows 10: Desktop crash

Discus and support Desktop crash in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My desktop which, although I am running Windows 10 with the latest update, is very similar to what I had on previous versions of Windows i. e. a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by A Gray, Jan 2, 2018.

1. A Gray Win User

Desktop crash

My desktop which, although I am running Windows 10 with the latest update, is very similar to what I had on previous versions of Windows i. e. a background picture of my own choice and various shortcuts to folders and programs that I use regularly. These are arranged in a layout to suit me. Two or three times recently I have clicked on a folder which has not opened as expected, instead The screen goes blue after a few seconds. The desktop is then re-established with the usual background but with all the icons in a default position at the left hand side of the screen. I can then open the folder that I wanted to open and everything works normally.
    I have then to rearrange the icons to their old layout. As I said this has happened several times recently and is becoming annoying. Can anyone suggest a cause for this and how I might prevent it's recurrence?
    I am running AVG Antivirus free, Malwarebytes Premium and regularly clean out junk with CCleaner so hopefully I have not encountered a virus or malware.

:)

A Gray, Jan 2, 2018
  2. CaseyRBB Win User

Double-Click causes Remote Desktop to crash...

We have a remote work-station that crashes in Remote Desktop when a file is double-clicked or opened in file explorer of the remote desktop. Can you advise and provide possible causes and solutions to this problem?

To clarfiy:

1. Login into remote work-station using remote desktop

2. Open file explorer

3. Double-click, or right click on a file, and select open file

4. Remote Desktop crashes

We are able to log-in back into remote desktop and the work-station without either system crashing but, if the same procedure is done again, Remote Desktop will crash.

Thankfully,

Casey

CaseyRBB, Jan 2, 2018
  3. Desktop is crashing

Hi Jamie,

Please answer the question below to assist you better.

- Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

- What is the make and model of your device?

- Are you using Microsoft account or Local account?

- From which OS did you upgrade to Windows 10?

This issue may occur due to corrupt device drivers or settings.

I would suggest you to run hardware and devices troubleshooter
    and check if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.

b. Click troubleshooting in the search results.

c. Click "View all" and then click "Hardware and Devices".

d. Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jan 2, 2018
  4. zbook New Member

Desktop crash

Run this log collector and post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting:
    log collector v2-beta06.zip

zbook, Jan 2, 2018
  5. A Gray Win User
    Thanks Zbook. I'll try this tomorrow as I am rather busy today.

A Gray, Jan 3, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jan 3, 2018
  7. Icons becoming rearranged is a nuisance. But I'd be more concerned about this:
    "... recently I have clicked on a folder which has not opened as expected. Instead the screen goes blue after a few seconds."

margrave55, Jan 3, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Desktop crash

Granted, just that was an aspect not covered by @zbook's approach.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop crash

1. Desktop crash - Similar Threads - Desktop crash

2. random BSODs and games crashing to desktop after installing new CPU and motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    random BSODs and games crashing to desktop after installing new CPU and motherboard: Hello everyone! I'm having some issues after installing a new Motherboard and CPU into my PC. I switched from a ASUS Prime Z-270K with an Intel i5-7600k to an MSI mpg b550 Gaming Plus with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D. After the switch I had a lot of issues with occasional blue...
  3. random BSODs and games crashing to desktop after installing new CPU and motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    random BSODs and games crashing to desktop after installing new CPU and motherboard: Hello everyone! I'm having some issues after installing a new Motherboard and CPU into my PC. I switched from a ASUS Prime Z-270K with an Intel i5-7600k to an MSI mpg b550 Gaming Plus with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D. After the switch I had a lot of issues with occasional blue...
  4. random BSODs and games crashing to desktop after installing new CPU and motherboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How Do I Solve Windows 11 Refresh/Crash While Right Clicking Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Solve Windows 11 Refresh/Crash While Right Clicking Desktop: Hey!My computer has ran for a few months, and it’s been fine for a bit. Recently, I used RAZER Synapse to clear junk files, and that’s when I think I noticed issues, but I can’t remember if it was before or after using that.Now most of my games are “corrupted” and I also...
  6. How Do I Solve Windows 11 Refresh/Crash While Right Clicking Desktop

How Do I Solve Windows 11 Refresh/Crash While Right Clicking Desktop: Hey!My computer has ran for a few months, and it’s been fine for a bit. Recently, I used RAZER Synapse to clear junk files, and that’s when I think I noticed issues, but I can’t remember if it was before or after using that.Now most of my games are “corrupted” and I also...
  7. How Do I Solve Windows 11 Refresh/Crash While Right Clicking Desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Hp slimline desktop keeps crashing!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hp slimline desktop keeps crashing!: Had a person give me a little hp slimline desktop for free because it keeps crashing at varies times. It will crash within 5 seconds of turning it on, a couple mins, and the longest is about 5 to 10 mins. It just crashes, no error code, no nothing. It has a 256 m.2 that I...
  9. Hp slimline desktop keeps crashing!

Hp slimline desktop keeps crashing!: Had a person give me a little hp slimline desktop for free because it keeps crashing at varies times. It will crash within 5 seconds of turning it on, a couple mins, and the longest is about 5 to 10 mins. It just crashes, no error code, no nothing. It has a 256 m.2 that I...
  10. My PC randomly restarts with no BSOD or crashing back to desktop. This has been happening...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC randomly restarts with no BSOD or crashing back to desktop. This has been happening...: What could be my issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-randomly-restarts-with-no-bsod-or-crashing/61a57001-1f57-41ce-bd0f-e4e86d1e0c6f