Windows 10: Desktop crashes after login in Windows 10

Discus and support Desktop crashes after login in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, but I could not find a similar thread. I received the notice that the windows 10 update was available for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WoIfStar, Aug 7, 2015.

1. WoIfStar Win User

Desktop crashes after login in Windows 10

Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, but I could not find a similar thread.

I received the notice that the windows 10 update was available for a windows 7 laptop we have. The install appeared to go fine, it did not give me any error messages on this. However now that it is completed and tried to use it we have an issue. It loads to the windows login fine, accepts your password, loads the desktop, but then after approximately 15 seconds the tiles on the quick launch bar vanishes, followed by the entire start menu and desktop. I am left with a black screen and a mouse cursor. I am able to access task manager through ctrl+alt+del, and use Run in there in order to access the various programs, but not explorer.exe like normal. This appears to not be running and if I try to run it, the task bar flashes for a few moments but then reverts to the black screen.
    I have verified that the drivers are all current (as much as I'm able to working in command prompt and device manager). I cannot access the windows 10 settings since they are windows explorer based (as far as am aware).

I have tried booting the computer into Safe Mode but the same issue happened.
    I tried creating a new profile and using it, however the same issue happened. Since I can't access the Windows Update I can't revert back to windows 7, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

:)

WoIfStar, Aug 7, 2015

2. GTX 650 Ti Drivers (358.50) on crashes in Windows 10

Recently the Nvidia GTX 650 Ti drivers for Windows 10 started to crash really frequently. It can happen before login and after login. After login when you try to run a desktop app I get a blank screen for a few seconds. Sometimes it recovers, but sometimes
    the screen goes blank for a long time and i need to force shutdown.

Anyone else having the same issue or know an fix

ShanilMuthuthanthrie, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Driver Power State Failure

Alright... So after installing those drivers. I let the computer go to sleep, and it instantly woke up.

I was presented with the login screen. Logged in. It was loading up the desktop (never made it to the desktop), and then the PC crashed BSOD.

After trying again, it is back to normal. EDIT: When I say normal, I mean not working, it is back to crashing again.

Not sure if this is helpful or not.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuTLbAHxhKgqgYhuRBqZoKccmWNyFw

RavenSnyder, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Laptop or Desktop problem give as much info on your system as possible,, how did you upgrade.

Bazz, Aug 7, 2015
  5. WoIfStar Win User
    Apologies, didn't think about that. It's a laptop that was upgraded through the icon in the notification tray. I don't remember the other specs to the computer very well, since it's a friend's machine. Upgraded from Windows 7 Home Edition

WoIfStar, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Bazz Win User
    Ok np to do things in the correct order you really need a bootable copy of windows 10 on a flash drive or DVD, I don't suppose you made a image of the Winndows 7 Hard drive before you started the upgrade?

Bazz, Aug 7, 2015
  7. Charlie Win User
    Refresh Windows 10 Have a look at this tutorial if you have another pc to look at it.

Charlie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop crashes after login in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Desktop crashes login

2. Windows crashes after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows crashes after login: My PC starts up fine, I enter my pin, and then Windows crashes. I have restarted many times and every time it does one of these:- black screen with nothing on it. I can move the cursor around but can't do anything.- my desktop is there, but none of the startup programmes...
  3. Windows crashes after login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows crashes after login: My PC starts up fine, I enter my pin, and then Windows crashes. I have restarted many times and every time it does one of these:- black screen with nothing on it. I can move the cursor around but can't do anything.- my desktop is there, but none of the startup programmes...
  4. Windows 10/Desktop Freeze After Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10/Desktop Freeze After Login: Hi,As shown in the image, after login the desktop freeze after login.Even after waiting for half a day, nothing happen. The cursor keep loading at the bottom. Cannot go to Task Manager or any other function.Right click, cannot enter Display Setting or Personalize or any other...
  5. Windows 10/Desktop Freeze After Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10/Desktop Freeze After Login: Hi,As shown in the image, after login the desktop freeze after login.Even after waiting for half a day, nothing happen. The cursor keep loading at the bottom. Cannot go to Task Manager or any other function.Right click, cannot enter Display Setting or Personalize or any other...
  6. Windows 10/Desktop Freeze After Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Desktop/File Explorer Crash Loop after Login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop/File Explorer Crash Loop after Login: Had this issue after the Nov update and was able to uninstall the offending update and disable for a month, but now I'm forced to download it and same issue is back. On start-up, logging into windows takes longer than usual. Once the desktop shows up, there is no wallpaper...
  8. Windows 10 desktop hangs after login

Windows 10 desktop hangs after login: Hi, Everytime i log in to Windows 10, it is not possible to do anything. The taskbar loads up but i can't click on it, it only shows the spinning circle. The desktop icons don't show up and ctrl alt del work's but if i press on task manager it won't load up. Suddenly after a...
  9. Windows desktop freezes + crashes after login

Windows desktop freezes + crashes after login: As the title says, the whole desktop freezes after I've logged in. I can get the Ctrl + Alt + Delete menu up but task manager wont appear until the desktop finally sorts itself out. My wallpaper doesn't appear while it's frozen (grey screen) and the little cortana mic is also...
  10. Windows 10 desktop unresponsive after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 desktop unresponsive after login: Hi, on my Acer 5750g laptop running Windows 10 I logged in as usual and the desktop initially didn't populate my desktop at all so i restarted and the desktop was there as usual but the laptop was running very very slow and even hovering over icons on the desktop had no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 crashes after login

2. after login pc crashes

3. windows desktop crashed

4. windows 10 crashing on login,
  5. windows 10 crashing after login,
  6. winos10 crashes after log in