Windows 10: Desktop does not appear as it should

Discus and support Desktop does not appear as it should in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Why does my Desktop appear differently 50% of the time when I open my Lenovo Yoga Laptop each day? What happens is that all my icons are there, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by The Pool Commish, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Desktop does not appear as it should

Why does my Desktop appear differently 50% of the time when I open my Lenovo Yoga Laptop each day?

What happens is that all my icons are there, but all around the desktop instead of where I want them. I try and move them to where they are supposed to be, but they do not go there. I have tried Auto Arrange, Arrange to Grid but that does nothing.The either go back to where they started or to another place.

Also, if I leave it as it opened, and I click on an any icon to open a program (Outlook, Excel, Word, Quicken, etc.) it opens as a full screen. Then when I click on a file (in Outlook it happens with new email, open email, contacts, etc.) that also opens as a full covering the entire desktop.

When I see this happening when I start in the morning, I go to re-start and it opens the way I originally set it up that I like.

Help anyone???????

Thanks,

:)

The Pool Commish, Aug 27, 2018

2. Windows 10 - Icons appear on Desktop but not Desktop Folder

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that desktop icon shortcuts does not appear in the Desktop folder in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope the above information was helpful. if you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 27, 2018
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Desktop does not appear as it should :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Caring1 Win User

Desktop does not appear as it should

Throttlestop overclocking Desktop PCs

Has anybody worked on that suggestion of putting together a list of unlocked CPU's?
    I've got an E.S. E5-2650 that appears to be locked and the BIOS on the Motherboard is locked down even tighter.
    I would like to play with it without buying a new board, CPU's can be cheaper.

Caring1, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

Desktop does not appear as it should

1. Desktop does not appear as it should - Similar Threads - Desktop does appear

2. Eject Drives Safely does not appear on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Eject Drives Safely does not appear on Desktop: I have four external drives. Two SSD 16gb Sandisk thumbdrives, one SSD 1tb Sandisk, and a 2tb HDD Seagate. On my laptop running windows 11 I have the option to safely eject all of my drives. On my desktop running windows 11 I only get the option to eject the two thumbdrives...
  3. Eject Drives Safely does not appear on Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Eject Drives Safely does not appear on Desktop: I have four external drives. Two SSD 16gb Sandisk thumbdrives, one SSD 1tb Sandisk, and a 2tb HDD Seagate. On my laptop running windows 11 I have the option to safely eject all of my drives. On my desktop running windows 11 I only get the option to eject the two thumbdrives...
  4. Unnamed folders appearing on my desktop, Should i worry ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unnamed folders appearing on my desktop, Should i worry ?: After turning on my computer, I noticed a strange, unnamed folder that I could either delete, cut, or create a shortcut to. If I delete it, it simply reappears, and if I copy it somewhere, it just gives an error Non-implemented and i haven't checked if it does anything if a...
  5. Powerpoint windows does not appear on my desktop,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powerpoint windows does not appear on my desktop,: Now I am using Windows 11, I am not sure if this problem occurs because Windows 11 or not. Powerpoint runs but it's windows does not pop on screen. I am not sure if this is because of my display setting or not. I have using External Monitor to add more screen for my...
  6. Powerpoint windows does not appear on my desktop,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powerpoint windows does not appear on my desktop,: Now I am using Windows 11, I am not sure if this problem occurs because Windows 11 or not. Powerpoint runs but it's windows does not pop on screen. I am not sure if this is because of my display setting or not. I have using External Monitor to add more screen for my...
  7. why does debug.log appear repeatedly on my Desktop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why does debug.log appear repeatedly on my Desktop?: Why does debug.log appear repeatedly on my Desktop? What does the debug.log do and why does it appear on my Computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-debuglog-appear-repeatedly-on-my-desktop/4ac12d09-5bff-44c7-a358-64f34501af1c
  8. My external drive does not appear on the desktop, does not appear in searches but is in the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My external drive does not appear on the desktop, does not appear in searches but is in the...: Hi, My external drive does not appear on the desktop, does not appear in searches but is in the device manager. How do i make it appear on my desktop. Note: "I hate windows 10" has 120 user names and "windows 10 is ****" has 461 usernames in this community. I am trying it...
  9. Application does not appear with the icon on the desktop, what to do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Application does not appear with the icon on the desktop, what to do?: Hello, everyone, i keep having (especially specifically with Krita) the problem that i download the app, but after a while the logo is no longer displayed, only a white sheet (see picture). For the most part, the apps still work smoothly, although there are problems with...
  10. Desktop does not appear in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop does not appear in Explorer: W10-64 Home. 1909 I found the same problem in an older thread which is solved, but either I am doing ot wrong or it is not working for me.Following those instructions, I now have: [img] Notice, no Desktop. In the folder Downloads are the desktop files. They are also in...