Windows 10: Desktop does not show all file icons

Discus and support Desktop does not show all file icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Win10 Desktop seems to have problems. I can copy a file to the desktop but no icon show for it. But pressing WindowsE shows it as present. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by James1093, Oct 10, 2016.

1. James1093 Win User

Desktop does not show all file icons

My Win10 Desktop seems to have problems. I can copy a file to the desktop but no icon show for it. But pressing WindowsE shows it as present.
    Is there any way to ensure the icon always appears ?

Thanks.

:)

James1093, Oct 10, 2016

2. Trying to view my downloaded pictures via the new Windows 10.

Windows 10:

Downloaded all picture to a desktop icon on Windows 7-woked very fine for years.

Now when I click on desktop icon it shows all my file picture folders for 2 seconds that gets out of them and goes to quick access "picture" library does not open to show my pictures at all--empty!

Have 1,000 of pictures! a photographer.

bharris100, Oct 10, 2016
  3. virtual Desktop win 10

You can pick your options for which desktops show taskbar icons, but your desktop files will always show on all desktops

For the other options (which desktops to show the taskbar icons on), open Settings and type "taskbar" into the search box.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 10, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I'd right-click the a blank area of the Desktop and choose View, try one of the selections available. If one has a lot of icons on the Desktop some can be hidden behind others and clicking one of the selections may make them show up.

Berton, Oct 10, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    'Align to grid' would make sure no icon can hide behind another.

6. James1093 Win User
    Many thanks, but I don't think that the problem.. that option is ticked and there's only about 20 desktop icons in total.
    I should add it's not all files (just some, maybe copied over LAN, still testing) and one in particular is present now but was missing yesterday.
    Not an issue others have had ?

James1093, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop does not show all file icons - Similar Threads - Desktop does show

2. Changed desktop folder icon; icon does not show

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed desktop folder icon; icon does not show: Windows 10 Pro.I right-clicked a Win 10 Desktop folder named "Email", selected properties, clicked "Change icon", browsed to a folder on the desktop I created to hold downloaded icons and assigned a downloaded icon to the desktop folder. Got no error, but the icon does not...
  3. Changed desktop folder icon; icon does not show

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed desktop folder icon; icon does not show: Windows 10 Pro.I right-clicked a Win 10 Desktop folder named "Email", selected properties, clicked "Change icon", browsed to a folder on the desktop I created to hold downloaded icons and assigned a downloaded icon to the desktop folder. Got no error, but the icon does not...
  4. Changed desktop folder icon; icon does not show

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. desktop icon showing same picture on all icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop icon showing same picture on all icons: how can i change the fact that all my icons on desktop have the same picture on them all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-showing-same-picture-on-all-icons/f0d1cf0d-b807-428c-b6f1-97cee2f581cf
  6. desktop icon showing same picture on all icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop icon showing same picture on all icons: how can i change the fact that all my icons on desktop have the same picture on them all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-showing-same-picture-on-all-icons/f0d1cf0d-b807-428c-b6f1-97cee2f581cf
  7. desktop icon showing same picture on all icons

8. All my desktop icons are not showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All my desktop icons are not showing up: there is a white bar in the top left corner of the screen and when i right click on the desktop no menu shows up how can I fix this submitted by /u/Ro807Pan6a [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/izl8o8/all_my_desktop_icons_are_not_showing_up/
  9. Not all of my desktop icons show

Not all of my desktop icons show: I connected by usb to a asus portable screen, for some reason now my desktop icons do not all show. Some do, others do not and the icons are showing the full name instead of an abbreviated name. This means that about 24 icons take up my full screen. I know how to use the view...
  10. File listed on desktop does not show in desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    File listed on desktop does not show in desktop: When I search my computer for a file, it shows up in the found list with a bunch of numbers and letters after it that mean nothing to me. When I open it and try to save it to the desktop, I'm told that it is already on the desktop. I look for it and its not there. When I...