Windows 10: Desktop doesn't auto-refresh

Discus and support Desktop doesn't auto-refresh in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. Since I installed Windows 10 when it was released, every now and then my desktop doesn't refresh to include new items I've added. If I want them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RobertoSAGuedes, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Desktop doesn't auto-refresh

Hello. Since I installed Windows 10 when it was released, every now and then my desktop doesn't refresh to include new items I've added. If I want them to show up, I need to press F5. Now, I've found something about changing a registry key (DontRefresh), but I can't find it, nor the folder it is supposed to belong to.

Any ideas?

:)

RobertoSAGuedes, Jun 6, 2016

2. [Windows 10] Desktop Icons move unpredictably when manually arranging them.

This doesn't work. It was also one of the first things I tried doing, and unchecking Align icons to grid not only goes against keeping the desktop organised, it doesn't help. Thanks for the reply though.

things I've tried: Auto arrange icons (off) and refreshing the desktop (f5)

ezzymortimer, Jun 6, 2016
  3. What does refresh option in desktop do?

Hi Kamal,

Windows refresh does nothing to the Windows system or RAM. It is meant to refresh your Windows desktop. It has been programmed to auto-refresh when Windows desktop contents change.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Justine Pel, Jun 6, 2016
  4. xanderax Win User

Desktop doesn't auto-refresh

It is a common problem with lots of potential causes. There are lots of articles of things to try. If it is an option, just do the "Reset this PC" function, keeping your files. This should fix most everything, though you'll have to reinstall your software.

xanderax, Jun 6, 2016
  5. Oh. Is there another option that could work? I'd like to keep this as a last resort.

RobertoSAGuedes, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop doesn't auto-refresh

1. Desktop doesn't auto-refresh - Similar Threads - Desktop doesn't auto

2. Desktop refreshing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop refreshing: So, i updates my PC to the latest windows 11 preview update today and when i log in to my PC it just kind of refreshes like 5 times until it crashes and restarts. To add to that sometimes when i try to log into my PC it doesn't log in, what i mean by this is that i put in my...
  3. Desktop refreshing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop refreshing: So, i updates my PC to the latest windows 11 preview update today and when i log in to my PC it just kind of refreshes like 5 times until it crashes and restarts. To add to that sometimes when i try to log into my PC it doesn't log in, what i mean by this is that i put in my...
  4. File Explorer not auto-refreshing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer not auto-refreshing: I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh the folder to see it placed in its new position. While this normally would be a quick and mundane task, I need to...
  5. Desktop refresh

Desktop refresh: When I delete a file from the Desktop and it goes to the Recycle Bin and I empty the Recycle Bin, the file shows back up on the desktop with 0 bytes and when I try to delete it again, it says the file can't be found and then I have to press F5 for it to go away....
  6. Windows 10 64bit desktop won't auto refresh

Windows 10 64bit desktop won't auto refresh: For some reason this started recently, or at least I only started to notice it in the last week or two... If I move something to the trash bin, and then empty the bin, it disappears from the bin. However, if I start an app or do something else, and then come back to the...
  7. Auto refresh

Auto refresh: Hi i am hoping you can help. Basically at work we have what i believe is a cerridge system to book cars in on a digital diary. What i want to do is have the digital diary up on screen for the techs to see what to do. As an example if on Saturday i have booked a job from...
  8. Windows 10 86 Bit Doesn't Auto Refresh Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 86 Bit Doesn't Auto Refresh Files: Every time I rename/delete/move a file or folder I have to press F5 to see the changes. Please fix this - the latest Windows update is doing more harm than good at the moment!...
  9. Auto-refresh on file explorer when desktop backgrounds are changed.

Auto-refresh on file explorer when desktop backgrounds are changed.: The title basically says it all, I thought this was happening because of software on the computer, but I realized that it happens when wallpapers change automatically or when you right click and select "Next desktop background". It's something annoying mostly when you have...
  10. Refreshing Desktop auto arranges Desktop Icons!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Refreshing Desktop auto arranges Desktop Icons!: I'm running Windows 10 Pro (version 1803 OS Build 17134.228 - a/o Aug 15, 2018) It appears some recent update has decided to ignore my Desktop settings and auto arrange all my Desktop Icons whenever I refresh my Desktop (right click background / left click Refresh) even...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows desktop doesnt auto refresh

2. desktop auto refresh

3. desktop doesnt refresh automatically

4. windows doesnt auto refresh,
  5. win 10 icons frequently refresh