Desktop / Explorer delay after restarts

Discus and support Desktop / Explorer delay after restarts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For some time now it's been taking > 30 seconds before Desktop or Explorer reacts. The desktop displays, and startup apps run, but tring to open an app... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DJG, Jul 5, 2018.

1. DJG
    DJG Win User

For some time now it's been taking > 30 seconds before Desktop or Explorer reacts. The desktop displays, and startup apps run, but tring to open an app or Windows Explorer, or interacting with the desktop is taking a strangely longer time than before. Is this part of new anti-malware / hacking fixes?

:)

2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Jul 5, 2018
  3. Loreto Osa Win User
    Internet Explorer Pop-Up invisible in Desktop

Thank you for the update, David. For further troubleshooting, we would like to know if Internet Explorer appears in Task Manager even without starting Internet Explorer or it appears and remains in Task Manager after opening and closing Internet Explorer?

If after opening Internet Explorer and it appears and remains in the Task Manager, we suggest opening Internet Explorer without add-ons and see if the issue persists. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Right-click the Start button (lower-left corner) in Windows, and click
      Run.
    Alternatively, you can press the Windows logo key and the R key on your keyboard.

• In the Run box, type iexplore.exe -extoff
      and press Enter.

If doing the steps above eliminates the issue, then we suggest following this
    article
    for you to be able to manage/disable add-ons that's causing the issue in Internet Explorer 11. Managing
    other versions are also available at the bottom of the article.

We will be waiting for your update.

Loreto Osa, Jul 5, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Delay on file explorer operations of about 2 to 3 seconds

Yes, That was my post in 8 forum. However, step 5 in that post will not work with Windows 10. I updated here:
    Right Click on Desktop take long time to show up - Windows 10 Forums

In addition. Incompatible Shell extensions is one of the cause. Delay can be caused by other things such as:
    • Explorer is busy re-discovering the mapped drive because the DNS Cache was not up to date.
    • Corrupted Systems Files
    • Corrupted HD drives
    • External HD need time to wake up
    • Corrupted Video/Audio files which explorer is busy trying to build the thumb nails
    • etc...

It resolved by itself because the DNS was updated.

topgundcp, Jul 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop / Explorer delay after restarts - Similar Threads - Desktop Explorer delay

2. Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop: Hi all, I'm having a problem with a brand new Dell XPS 15" computer regarding what files and folders it hides. Here's a picture of what is happening. [img] I have tried all the usual suspects. It is not marked as "Hidden" in the properties. I always enable "seeing...
  3. Groove new app update causing desktop / explorer bar issues on install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Groove new app update causing desktop / explorer bar issues on install: Anyone notice a glitch after installing groove update today? We use several user accounts . I updated it on mine through the store and launched it to test, all was ok. Then I logged into the other four user accounts one by one to test it works still (windows 10 can be buggy...
  4. Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer: My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions? 101768
  5. Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access folder in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access folder in Explorer: Hi, opened up the file explorer, quick access pinning works fine for all other folders, but I cannot pin the Desktop folder in there. It shows up in the folders pane on the left, (I have to scroll a way up to find it..) but using the 'pin to quick access' button in the...
  6. Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer: This is the first issue I haven't able to resolve after using Windows products for years I recently bought a monitor to use with my laptop while at home. Whenever I disconnect my laptop from the monitor and then shut the laptop down, upon restarting I lose all my desktop...
  7. Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing: I was recently just using my computer, browsing files, moving stuff about when the entire desktop crashes and restarts as it does when that happens. This has never happened before and I've not modified the shell recently at all, hence I'm slightly concerned to what actually...
  8. How Do I Get Windows Explorer to Open Desktop Folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Get Windows Explorer to Open Desktop Folder?: Brink is right. That is the easiest way.
  9. Moving / Restoring Desktop,resulting in Access Denied to File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving / Restoring Desktop,resulting in Access Denied to File Explorer: Hi all, first time here, hoping you can help. I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 Bit. This might be a bit of a long post... but I want to lay out the process... I fixed (I think) a long standing problem I've had, tonight, but am left with a new problem.. so want to show...
  10. How Do I Open Windows Explorer to Desktop by Default?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Open Windows Explorer to Desktop by Default?: How do I get windows explorer to open up to the desired directory by default? I want to be able to open it to the Desktop directory. How do I do this? 92939