Windows 10: Desktop file 'gone'

Discus and support Desktop file 'gone' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After the latest updates (2 days ago) I got the message that backing up & synchronizing in Edge is no longer possible because the map Desktop cannot be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vestiphobic, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Desktop file 'gone'

After the latest updates (2 days ago) I got the message that backing up & synchronizing in Edge is no longer possible because the map Desktop cannot be traced, and would I be so kind to "Search or Stop synchronizing." A Search only results in "Desktop - This map is empty". But I still have my Directory, and my start up Desktop image with the shortcuts. I just want backing up / synchronizing back...*Biggrin

:)

Vestiphobic, Nov 18, 2017

2. Desktop files gone

A classic example of why you should NOT store data on the Desktop.

The Desktop is a special system folder that is not designed to store data.

Data should be stored in your Documents folder which is what it's designed for.

Unless you have a backup, then I suspect all these files are gone for good.

Gordon B-P, Nov 18, 2017
  3. Desktop files gone

Then you've been very lucky!

I'm afraid I don't know why it happens.

Gordon B-P, Nov 18, 2017
  4. Gordon7 Win User

Desktop file 'gone'

Desktop file 'gone' [​IMG]

Gordon7, Nov 18, 2017
  5. Gordon7, I'm not sure if I understand this. I have to delete a hibernate file? I never work with hibernation/sleepmode, I log out and log in... Okay , I'll fill in all the specifics but have look up most of them and right now I can't. I'll put the post up again in a few days.

Vestiphobic, Nov 19, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Open a Command Window and enter powercfg /hibernate off.

bro67, Nov 19, 2017
  7. bro67,
    This is unknown territory for me... OK, I prompted powercfg, the command immediately closed after enter, no confirmation, no file, no Windows directory overview. I mean, when I type 'regedit', the Registry opens. (And that's the only command I ever used so far.) So I hope I did correct.

8. mrgeek Win User

Desktop file 'gone'

When command prompt (admin) opens, type- powercfg.exe /hibernate off to turn hibernation off. To clear the hiberfil.sys file, type powercfg -h off

mrgeek, Nov 19, 2017
  9. @mrgeek,
    When regedit opens, I can't type in anything. Except in the key files, I know I can make certain changes in those keys. But which HKEY and subsection do I need to make this change? I've searched, but can't find 'powercfg'.

10. mrgeek Win User
    My brain fart *Busted You type these in a command prompt or Windows powershell ... duuuhh
    Hit Win key+X and choose whichever is in menu (Admin)
    Reading post 1, I'm not sure this will fix your initial issue but the hibersys.file can get corrupted and cause problems at startup. I turn this off on all computers I service so Sleep and Shut Down are the only options.

mrgeek, Nov 19, 2017
  11. Ok, I did. But I can't enter the prompt! Is that normal? I decided to simply click it shut.*Tongue

12. Bree New Member
    Open a Command Prompt (Admin). Type powercfg /hibernate off then press the ENTER key.

13. mrgeek Win User

Desktop file 'gone'

It takes a few seconds for window to open, type after system32> appears. Like this

mrgeek, Nov 19, 2017
  14. mrgeek & Bree, I did this. But with Enter nothing happened. So I'm not sure now if the prompts have gotten through.

I have good news too, just found a Taskbar message from 50 minutes ago that Back Up & Synchronizing have been Updated. Means to me that it's working again. And that was what I wanted.
    I have no further problems. Actually, since I got Win10 I have no problems at all, the best OS ever. How long did it Microsoft take to reach such perfection? 30 years? *Cool
    All I learned today will be forgotten next week... Nevertheless thanks for the help, folks, I really appreciate it.

15. Ow, one more question. According to my view on computerlife I must be able to see in Regedit if these keys now show Off, right? Or aren't they featured there? Can't find them.

Thema:

Desktop file 'gone'

1. Desktop file 'gone' - Similar Threads - Desktop file 'gone'

2. all my files on desktop are gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all my files on desktop are gone: hello , i logged into my iCloud this morning and after i was done all files on my desktop are gone and got logged out of my accounts . i tried restarting and everything but it didnt do anything . my one drive dose not work and it says the location got changed or got deleted ....
  3. all my files on desktop are gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    all my files on desktop are gone: hello , i logged into my iCloud this morning and after i was done all files on my desktop are gone and got logged out of my accounts . i tried restarting and everything but it didnt do anything . my one drive dose not work and it says the location got changed or got deleted ....
  4. Files on Desktop and Pictures gone!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files on Desktop and Pictures gone!: I lost All my pictures downloaded from my iPhone that I have been keeping in the 'Picture' folder. ALL my setup on my desktop are gone. This happening after the update, NOT upgrade. I don't backup on Cloud thought my computer is safe enough to save all my pictures. I...
  5. All My Files on desktop are gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All My Files on desktop are gone: I Dont know what happen .i just turn on my laptop then i check my files ,my apps,my photo ,my project in desktop missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-files-on-desktop-are-gone/9d0b4556-4924-47f4-a400-511730cbfb0d
  6. Desktop files are gone

Desktop files are gone: Ok, so I really need help with this one, massively. My computer updated to the newer version of Windows 10 without me asking. I noticed all my folders were gone from the desktop. I managed to find them in my desktop folder, which had my old desktop items but not my new ones,...
  7. Files gone missing from Desktop???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files gone missing from Desktop???: I have a folder structure sitting in my desktop directory that contains about 40 sub directories, one for each of my past clients. Within each of these sub-directories there are other sub-directories. A few days ago I went into one of these sub-directories and found that...
  8. Deleted files on the desktop gone?

Deleted files on the desktop gone?: Hi, I need your help. I did a file folder on the desktop a long time ago, which I accidentally deleted then, through the recycle bin which I also emptied. But I didn't know that I saved it on the desktop and not a folder on the hard disk. What can I do? Is very important...
  9. Desktop files gone with OneDrive

Desktop files gone with OneDrive: One day I was scrolling through YouTube and stumbled upon a Windows 10 opt. video and decided to follow the steps. The video showed a program that debloats Windows 10 and it had an option to remove OneDrive so I clicked on it, because I didn't know it was linked with any of...
  10. Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop and File Explorer icons gone: Hello! I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted up my computer and all of my icons are randomly gone, in File Explorer and on the desktop. I cannot go to...