Windows 10: Desktop files disappeared and cannot be searched or unhidden, help

Discus and support Desktop files disappeared and cannot be searched or unhidden, help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I was working on something in chrome and suddenly I noticed all of my desktop files disappeared. I tried searching and unhiding them as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sacley, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Sacley Win User

Desktop files disappeared and cannot be searched or unhidden, help

Hello, I was working on something in chrome and suddenly I noticed all of my desktop files disappeared. I tried searching and unhiding them as suggested in some threads but I still couldn't get them back. They are not in the recycle bin. Any ideas of what might be happening? Some files are quite important and I really need them back.

I also had had an issue a week ago where I would save a certain file and it disappears from the desktop every time. I saved the file to a new location and it stayed. I wonder if this is the same issue. Please help *Sad

:)

Sacley, Nov 12, 2016

2. desktop

My DESKTOP has disappeared! I can do searches for individual files but the full desktop with all icons is nowhere to be seen.

Help!

KathyThornhill, Nov 12, 2016
  3. Windows 10

please also tell me what i have to do with the files and folders you have told me to make unhidden, they have appeared on the desktop. An i supposed to delete them???

AtharvGupta, Nov 12, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum first job is to check the disk for errors

Samuria, Nov 12, 2016
  5. Sacley Win User
    Thanks! I did the error checking in properties and it found no errors. My drive is a SSD bought around 3 years ago... Any other ideas?

Sacley, Nov 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Nov 12, 2016
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Is the computer running any form of Crypto-protection? In the past, I've run into a side effect that I an end-user could no longer access Users folder. I'm wondering if a protection program is keeping you the end-user out of the Desktop area?

RolandJS, Nov 12, 2016
  8. Sacley Win User

Thanks, but it's not that. I tried searching for those files and even using recovery software, I couldn't find them. They just disappeared mysteriously. I've booked a callback from Microsoft and I hope they can help... But in the meantime if anyone has suggestions it would be great because I really need those files *Sad

Sacley, Nov 12, 2016
  9. Sacley Win User
    How do I find out? I just scanned with Windows defender and it said there's no threats, but I do not have other antivirus software, is it possible that I might have a virus?

Sacley, Nov 12, 2016
  10. RolandJS Win User
    If you did not install any sort of Crypto protection, then, my earlier post is moot. I'll be listening in and learning alongside you.

RolandJS, Nov 13, 2016
  11. Samuria Win User
    Is there any new profiles if hours failed it would create a new one from default the old profile would still be there

Samuria, Nov 13, 2016
  12. Sacley Win User
    Well, it seems like the files are completely gone. Software like Recuva can't find them either. Disk seems to have no problems. I've got the call back from Microsoft but they can't find the problem and blamed it on viruses, so I did a full scan but couldn't find anything.
    Even now when I save new files to the desktop they disappear after a while...

Has anyone got other ideas? *Sad

Sacley, Nov 15, 2016
  13. Desktop files disappeared and cannot be searched or unhidden, help

I suggest you try 3rd party search software like Everything Search by VoidTools which is totally free, fast and efficient.
    It's a long shot but Everything will show hidden files and folders in the results and you can right click > open to go to the folder
    Everything has a portable version so you can test it without installing it. I always use the portable version

You might also want to try a 3rd party file explorer like Free Commander or Explorer++
    Both are free and Portable

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Nov 15, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    a. You could leave Sysinternals Procmon running, leave your PC e.g. overnight or until an item is deleted from your desktop, then inspect the (extremely long) log to see what's deleted your file.

The program has very good filters, so you should be able to find actions related to your desktop relatively easily, then inspect the full log around that time.

===========================
    b. Elimination
    Does this happen
    a. in Safe Mode
    b. after a clean boot?

dalchina, Nov 15, 2016
  15. Sacley Win User
    Thanks dalchina, I left that running and now some of my files disappeared. I just put my computer to sleep overnight. But I don't really know how to go from here. How would I be able to find the related parts of the log and then what to do? I'm new to this so I'd appreciate your advice!

Sacley, Nov 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Desktop files disappeared and cannot be searched or unhidden, help - Similar Threads - Desktop files disappeared

2. Specific desktop files disappeared?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Specific desktop files disappeared?: I recently tried to access some files that I have stored in a folder on my desktop. While the folder is still there, all of the files in it mostly Word documents have disappeared.While diagnosing the problem, I noticed that my desktop's file path does not show up as...
  3. Specific desktop files disappeared?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Specific desktop files disappeared?: I recently tried to access some files that I have stored in a folder on my desktop. While the folder is still there, all of the files in it mostly Word documents have disappeared.While diagnosing the problem, I noticed that my desktop's file path does not show up as...
  4. unhidden folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unhidden folders: I have a problem with my unhidden folders when i try to unhide the folders that were hidden i dont see all the unhide folders they just have been lost or i dont know where they go it just write for me desktop and all of the folders that i hide has been lost or i dont know...
  5. unhidden folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unhidden folders: I have a problem with my unhidden folders when i try to unhide the folders that were hidden i dont see all the unhide folders they just have been lost or i dont know where they go it just write for me desktop and all of the folders that i hide has been lost or i dont know...
  6. unhidden folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. desktop files disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop files disappeared: just reinstalled a fresh windows 10 onto my computer. it was fine for a little while, but now my desktop files are gone. i did a lot of things that i searched up regedit modification, tablet mode check, show desktop icons. but nothing seems to be working....
  8. Desktop files disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop files disappeared: I was working today and 3/4 if my desktop folders just disappeared. I have searched by name and they are just gone. I ran the hard drive check and it appears okay and they are not in the recycle bin. Please help!...
  9. Desktop Files Disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Files Disappear: Over the past week, my desktop has been acting up. My files keep being deleted from my desktop. I used Everything Search to see if the files are just being moved, and they're not. They're completely wiped out. I ran a Windows Defender and it didn't come up with anything. I...
  10. File disappeared off desktop - cannot find or recover

in Windows 10 Support
    File disappeared off desktop - cannot find or recover: Hi, I was transferring all my photos on my phone to a folder on my desktop, named 'Photoa'. A couple of seconds after the last photo was copied over I watched the folder suddenly disappear from the desktop. I was not performing any action at the time. A search of the...