Windows 10: Desktop Folder Suddenly Went Missing - Can't Find it Anywhere

Discus and support Desktop Folder Suddenly Went Missing - Can't Find it Anywhere in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I suddenly lost a folder with a bunch of important files in it. I also lost another folder with a lot of family videos. I'm not as worried about the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by khamilton, Sep 8, 2016.

1. khamilton Win User

Desktop Folder Suddenly Went Missing - Can't Find it Anywhere

I suddenly lost a folder with a bunch of important files in it. I also lost another folder with a lot of family videos. I'm not as worried about the videos because I have those backed up with Google and on thumb drives, but the other folder I need desperately.

I have done 2 restore points but this didn't help. I restarted the computer, I search in hidden folders view, I searched the computer for the names of the documents, folder, etc but can't find any shred of evidence.

Why would this happen and is there any recourse for gaining these files back?

Thanks

:)

khamilton, Sep 8, 2016
  2. IdoBerlin Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Hello Neha,

I had the same problem - after I updated to Window 10, all of my desktop files were gone.

When I found them, I replaced them to my new desktop, but when I restarted my computer, these files were gone and my old, pre-Windows-10 desktop was again my desktop.

I can't find the missing files anywhere, not even in the folder you instructed, and all I could find is shortcuts to the missing files, which path is missing.

Is there any way to recover the missing files?

Thanks a lot,

Ido

IdoBerlin, Sep 8, 2016
  3. lumia 2520 some apps dissappeared

Suddenly, one day I realised that some of the apps were missing. Checked everywhere, in my apps it says I purchased them, if I install them again it says installed, but can't find them anywhere. Can anybody help?

brianofernandes, Sep 8, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

If by chance the Desktop folders were not over-written, you might be able to get them back by, on another computer, downloading a Puppy Linux ISO, create a usb boot stick or DVD boot, boot said utility on the problem computer, and use the abbreviated Linux file manager to copy the desktop folders onto any trusted available external media.

RolandJS, Sep 8, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    System Restore does not recover any missing or deleted files.
    If you have searched the computer for files within the lost folder by a file's Name and you can't find it, it is most likely deleted. You can also do a search for the type of file (ie) if searching for a Word document, in the search box type *.doc, or *.docx etc.
    You can try to recover deleted files by using the free Recuva. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack.

spunk, Sep 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Your first port of call: You didn't mention whether you had looked in the recycle bin. Double click it to open it in file explorer.

If not, most important you don't write to the drive or partition where the folder was. If the folder was on the same drive as your OS, and not in your recycle bin, it could be overwritten by routine OS writes... another good reason to keep personal data off your OS drive.

After that proceed to scan with Recuva as above- ensuring it's not saved to or installed on the same drive where your lost data was.

How were these lost or deleted? Failing disk? User mistake? Rogue program?

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    Are you using File History? If so, you might find your folder there. I recommend you schedule regular incremental backups of your system (at least weekly?) and keep archives going back several months. Most people on this forum use Macrium Reflect. You can mount a Reflect backup and copy/paste the files/folders you have lost.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop Folder Suddenly Went Missing - Can't Find it Anywhere - Similar Threads - Desktop Folder Suddenly

2. user folder went missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user folder went missing: after messing with some folder file permissions, the D:\Users\User folder went missing along with all my documents contained in the User folder. I have ran some recovery software and the files were located as "deleted". however, when restoring these files to a different...
  3. user folder went missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user folder went missing: after messing with some folder file permissions, the D:\Users\User folder went missing along with all my documents contained in the User folder. I have ran some recovery software and the files were located as "deleted". however, when restoring these files to a different...
  4. Can't find Task View or New Desktop anywhere on my screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find Task View or New Desktop anywhere on my screen: I'm running Win 10 19043.1348 and can find no item called Task View to open multiple desktops. I've looked at Settings and Task View is greyed out so I can't switch it on. Please Advise. I want to open an app multiple times so I can work from different sections of...
  5. Bluetooth suddenly went missing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth suddenly went missing.: I am unable to find the Bluetooth Turn on button on Windows 10. After doing some investigation and doing the following steps I still am not able to resolve it. 1. Ran the Bluetooth troubleshooter and the result said there is no Bluetooth device which is strange as I was...
  6. Can't create a folder anywhere

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't create a folder anywhere: Hi, as the title says, I can not do it. I have tried creating a new registry file with the long code inside the shallax folder (which most of the tutorials suggested), nothing. Please help? submitted by /u/shvrhd [link] [comments]...
  7. Build 1809 -- can't find anywhere

Build 1809 -- can't find anywhere: EDIT: Is there somewhere to dl the ISO or something of version 1809 to re-install it over the current version? I really need to roll back my windows 10 from version 1903 to 1809. However, despite looking for almost the entire day I've had no luck. submitted by...
  8. Desktop Bluetooth went missing...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop Bluetooth went missing...: About a week ago my MS Sculpt Comfort mouse bluetooth wouldn't work on my desktop. Windows 10 v. 1903 Checking, I found that Bluetooth was missing entirely and there was no option to turn it on or connect devices. Thinking it was the usb bluetooth adapter I had bought from...
  9. Folder/Files suddenly missing in Desktop

Folder/Files suddenly missing in Desktop: Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right sub to call for help regarding my problem. I have this folder on my desktop which I put all my work files but suddenly it's gone. I'm going to give as much as possible information because I really need those files for my work. Last time...
  10. Can't create folders anywhere

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create folders anywhere: I accidentally deleted both desktop.ini files after moving some files into new folders from the actual desktop, then emptied the recycle bin. When I rebooted, I noticed right away that one file was missing and I assumed it was One of the files came back, but the other did...