Windows 10: Desktop full of OneDrive Files

Discus and support Desktop full of OneDrive Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just wanted to draw attention to another post which is closed that solved my problem... How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chris Nason, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Desktop full of OneDrive Files

I just wanted to draw attention to another post which is closed that solved my problem... How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? - Microsoft CommunityI stupidly moved the default folder for 'saving' and then found at the next reboot that my Desktop was full of all my OneDrive files. Apparently I had merged my OneDrive and Desktop. Lots of advice on the web that missed the point. But this post above showed how to reset a Registry Key from the problem setting "D:\OneDrive\Documents" to this..."%USERPROFILE%\Desktop"

:)

Chris Nason, Feb 29, 2024

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 29, 2024
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Feb 29, 2024
  4. KeithM Win User

Desktop full of OneDrive Files

OneDrive is subfolder of Desktop in the Registry.

You don't specify the key you found that entry under, but I'm guessing it's:
    • HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Then you say:
    • " I have found the GUID of OneDrive is a different hex number."
    But you don't tell us how you "found" this or the value of the GUID, but I'm guessing it's:
    • {018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}
    Both are related to OneDrive. {A52BBA46-E9E1-435f-B3D9-28DAA648C0F6} is the KnownFolderID of the OneDrive folder. The ID/Path value is only found under HKCU\...\UserShellFolders if the file sytem location of the OneDrive folder has been changed from its default of %UserProfile%\OneDrive, which can only be done on setup or when re-linking your PC after un-linking. {018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6} is the CLSID of the virtual folder that is inserted into the Virtual Desktop namespace via:
    • HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
    This is what allows OneDrive to appear in the Navigation Pane and on the Desktop. That is why it's the GUID you find most frequently in internet searches --- people frequently want to remove it from the Navigation Pane. Before I make any suggestions, would like more info:
    1. In the Explreor Address bar or a Run dialog, type shell:OneDriveEnter. Does a folder open, eror occur, or nothing happen?
    2. Does the folder D:\Desktop\OneDrvie exist? Amy content?
    3. Does the %UserProfile%\OneDrive folder still exist? Any content?
    4. If you access OneDrive online via your MS account, and it contains folders/files, can you locate the corresponding items anywhere on your PC?
    The one thing you might try is deleting the {A52BBA46-E9E1-435f-B3D9-28DAA648C0F6} value under HKCU\...\UserShellFolders, creating (if it doesn't exist) a folder named OneDrive in your user profile folder (the default location), restarting your PC, and then seeing if your can start OneDrive.

KeithM, Feb 29, 2024
Thema:

Desktop full of OneDrive Files

1. Desktop full of OneDrive Files - Similar Threads - Desktop full OneDrive

2. Desktop full of OneDrive Files [Solution]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop full of OneDrive Files [Solution]: I just wanted to draw attention to another post which is closed that solved my problem... How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? - Microsoft CommunityI stupidly moved the default folder for 'saving' and then found at the next reboot that my Desktop was full of...
  3. Desktop full of OneDrive Files [Solution]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop full of OneDrive Files [Solution]: I just wanted to draw attention to another post which is closed that solved my problem... How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? - Microsoft CommunityI stupidly moved the default folder for 'saving' and then found at the next reboot that my Desktop was full of...
  4. Desktop full of OneDrive Files [Solution]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Desktop full of OneDrive Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop full of OneDrive Files: I just wanted to draw attention to another post which is closed that solved my problem... How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? - Microsoft CommunityI stupidly moved the default folder for 'saving' and then found at the next reboot that my Desktop was full of...
  6. Desktop full of OneDrive Files

Desktop full of OneDrive Files: I just wanted to draw attention to another post which is closed that solved my problem... How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? - Microsoft CommunityI stupidly moved the default folder for 'saving' and then found at the next reboot that my Desktop was full of...
  7. OneDrive Is Full

OneDrive Is Full: Unfortunately, when trying to back up my Windows 10 PC with an external hard drive all of the files on it went into the OneDrive. Therefore, the OneDrive is just about full on my quite new HP PC. I want to move the files that have filled up the OneDrive on the PC to the new...
  8. OneDrive Is Full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Is Full: Unfortunately, when trying to back up my Windows 10 PC with an external hard drive all of the files on it went into the OneDrive. Therefore, the OneDrive is just about full on my quite new HP PC. I want to move the files that have filled up the OneDrive on the PC to the new...
  9. OneDrive Is Full

10. Desktop files gone with OneDrive

Desktop files gone with OneDrive: One day I was scrolling through YouTube and stumbled upon a Windows 10 opt. video and decided to follow the steps. The video showed a program that debloats Windows 10 and it had an option to remove OneDrive so I clicked on it, because I didn't know it was linked with any of...