Windows 10: Desktop Gadgets?

Discus and support Desktop Gadgets? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I was poking through gpedit.msc looking for things to disable when I found: [img] I thought desktop gadgets were removed in Windows 8? To... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Culbrelai, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Culbrelai Win User

Desktop Gadgets?

So I was poking through gpedit.msc looking for things to disable when I found:

Desktop Gadgets? [​IMG]

I thought desktop gadgets were removed in Windows 8? To test it I enabled them, got my favorite .gadget.

Nada.

Is this for compatibility purposes or just another example of Windows bloat?

P.S.

I know there are third party programs to get them working in Windows 10, I just think its odd

:)

Culbrelai, Aug 21, 2016

2. Windows update error (0x80070422)

desktop-ltdglo7, Aug 21, 2016
  3. Windows update error (0x80070422)

desktop-ltdglo7, Aug 21, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Desktop Gadgets?

You are right, I have it too although I was never a fan of gadgets and found them mildly useless because they worked on desktop only which I scarcely see, maybe once or twice a day and they are burden to RAM and CPU.
    Don't know the reason it's still there, maybe just a leftover or for compatibility's sake. By default, it's policy is not set so by default it's just some text floating around and not much of a bloat.
    It would be interesting to see if some of those third party programs change policy setting.

CountMike, Aug 21, 2016
  5. Stephanie Win User
    I have Gadgets but don't use them - System Windows 10 Pro x64

Desktop Gadgets? [​IMG]

Stephanie, Aug 21, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    Desktop Gadgets? [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 21, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    So it's just a relic from olden times ?

CountMike, Aug 21, 2016
  8. Desktop Gadgets?

I think if people upgraded from Windows 7 they are still in your system albeit redundant - I get the impression a clean install of Windows 10 though will have no trace of them but I'm not 100% certain

Scottyboy99, Aug 21, 2016
  9. Stephanie Win User
    You can DL Gadgets and they work fine in W 10 *Smile

Stephanie, Aug 21, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
    I don't think they 're-write' the Group Policy Editor for new versions of Windows, they just add to it.

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Gadgets?

1. Desktop Gadgets? - Similar Threads - Desktop Gadgets

2. Desktop Gadgets for Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Gadgets for Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows 8.1: I have been using Desktop Gadgets for Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows 8.1 for more than 6 or 7 years and I noticed for the last week or so maybe it's been longer, the gadgets do not appear to work any more. It appears like they are unable to communicate with any services....
  3. Desktop Gadgets for Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Gadgets for Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows 8.1: I have been using Desktop Gadgets for Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows 8.1 for more than 6 or 7 years and I noticed for the last week or so maybe it's been longer, the gadgets do not appear to work any more. It appears like they are unable to communicate with any services....
  4. Desktop Gadgets for Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. High contrast mode messes with my desktop gadgets, any way to fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High contrast mode messes with my desktop gadgets, any way to fix it?: As you can see in the attached picture, The gadgets are being affected by the high contrast theme.Is there any way to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-contrast-mode-messes-with-my-desktop-gadgets/76fc3820-03b0-4b98-9d4e-9f259e1b6f3c
  6. High contrast mode messes with my desktop gadgets, any way to fix it?

High contrast mode messes with my desktop gadgets, any way to fix it?: As you can see in the attached picture, The gadgets are being affected by the high contrast theme.Is there any way to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-contrast-mode-messes-with-my-desktop-gadgets/76fc3820-03b0-4b98-9d4e-9f259e1b6f3c
  7. High contrast mode messes with my desktop gadgets, any way to fix it?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. W10 desktop system gadgets,any?

W10 desktop system gadgets,any?: Hi guys. I want to monitor my PC system paramters like RAM,CPU freq/usage,GPU freq etc...via desktop gadget. I tried HWInfo gadget but it's gadget sucks. I have some old W7 system gadgets but I'm no sure if they are accurate with W10. I want it to run automatically when I...
  9. Any replacement for win7 desktop gadgets?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any replacement for win7 desktop gadgets?: I found it incredibly helpful to have my calendar available at a glance on the desktop. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. Are there any workarounds that provide the same functionality? submitted by /u/HobieSailor [link] [comments]...
  10. (question) I was watching a video and saw these gadgets on the desktop, does anyone know...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    (question) I was watching a video and saw these gadgets on the desktop, does anyone know...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DueCucumber1752 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l5nhcw/question_i_was_watching_a_video_and_saw_these/