Windows 10: Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option

Discus and support Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello tenforums, I hope you can help. A friend of mine who recently upgraded to Windows 10 is legally blind and is struggling with some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by d2thomas, Aug 9, 2015.

1. d2thomas Win User

Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option

Hello tenforums, I hope you can help.

A friend of mine who recently upgraded to Windows 10 is legally blind and is struggling with some accessibility options. Here is what we are struggling with: We need to change the font color of desktop icons to black. Certain contrasts are more visible for some impairments and in this case, a yellow background with black bold icon text is the best condition.

What I've tried:
    • Tried high contrast theme / mode
    • Tried to modify regedit based on a suggestion for 8.1 here.

Where I've looked:
    • Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Advanced - Performance
    • Personalize - Change Desktop Icons
    • Personalize - Colors
    • Control Panel - Personalization
    • Display Settings
    • Themes - Theme Settings

I was able to get the text black when using the white high contrast mode, but that option won't work. While it does change the icon text to black, it also takes over many other options that deliver a less than desirable contrast for the user. We originally were thinking we could start with the high contrast theme, save as another theme and then systematically roll back the changes we didn't like, leaving the black text. Does not work - when in high contrast mode it effectively locks out your ability to make certain changes.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

:)

d2thomas, Aug 9, 2015

2. how do I change font color for desktop icons

Umm this does not change the desktop Icon font, this only changes the Window pane color.

I have a white background photo, and my desktop icon font color is also white, hence making them impossible to read.

How do I change the Desktop Icons Font Color???

xhefrxxhefrx, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Font colors on desktop.

Desktop Icon Font Color - How do I change the font color of the text that describes desktop icons in Windows 10??

MikeHunter_RTT, Aug 9, 2015
  4. DJG
    DJG Win User

I struggled with this for some time but I found a way. If you have the background set to picture, set it to Solid color. Chances are it's black by default. This is forcing a white font color regardless what you select for a picture. Change it to say orange, which will make the font color black. Now change the background back to picture, and you should have a black icon font color.

5. Wow, DJG what an elegant solution - worked like a charm, no changing registries etc.

AnneThackeray, Dec 2, 2015
  6. DJG
    DJG Win User
    Thank you! Just a little pay forward - I certainly get a lot from this forum *Smile

Happy Holidays!

7. OldGuy Win User
    Just came across this post and it was exactly what I needed as well !

Thanks.

OldGuy, Mar 27, 2016
  8. allie0311 Win User

Thank you, thank you, thank you DJG!!!

Totally joined this forum just to be able to tell you that. *Biggrin

allie0311, Mar 29, 2016
  9. goofwear Win User
    WOW, Thank you I created wallpaper that has a lot o white in it and then today applies a windows 10 gold them and the desktop font color was stuck to white. Who would have though of trying the idea you had to come up with this fix.

goofwear, Apr 12, 2016
  10. MIKLO Win User
    Very cool thanks so much I been messing with this for some time so I really appreciate very much. I know this is an old thread but it is exactly what I needed to fix this problem, when someone shares what probably to them some time to figure out that's very cool so thanks again dude. *Smile

MIKLO, Dec 14, 2017
  11. DJG
    DJG Win User
    Glad I helped, all, I've gotten so much from this forum it's nice to give something back for a change. *Smile

12. tom9940 Win User
    I just tried this and while the background was orange the icon text was black, but when I changed the orange back to a picture, the icon text returned to white. Nice job MS!

tom9940, Feb 23, 2018
  13. DJG
    DJG Win User

Did you try something more excessive, like white background? They might have changed the threshold, though orange still shows black font for me.

14. Edwin New Member
    You need to turn off 'drop shadows' in advanced appearance settings...

Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option [​IMG]

Edwin, Feb 23, 2018
  15. DJG
    DJG Win User
    Indeed!

Thema:

1. Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option - Similar Threads - Desktop Icon Color

2. desktop icon color

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop icon color: hello i would like to ask about desktop icon`s color.since i have upgraded on win11 when i tap one time with the mouse on the icon the color of the icon became a trasparent white but i would like to change..since my image is light......
  3. desktop icon color

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop icon color: hello i would like to ask about desktop icon`s color.since i have upgraded on win11 when i tap one time with the mouse on the icon the color of the icon became a trasparent white but i would like to change..since my image is light......
  4. Color changing icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Color changing icons: The color of my icons are being highlighted by my mouse and change color,and sometimes the whole wallpaper changes to a color.how do I fix plz.[IMG][IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/color-changing-icons/e5cb6d8c-7ba2-470b-86ae-632999b3a1c7
  5. How to change the Desktop Icon font color

How to change the Desktop Icon font color: The font color of desktop icons doesn't change even after trying every solution found on the Internet. I have tried to make the background-color orange and remove the shadows of the texts. [ATTACH] And even after setting the desktop background to white, the font is still...
  6. Desktop Icon text changing color and shading

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon text changing color and shading: Hello all! I have a unique question I haven't found an answer to. My 85 year old grandfather has an old Windows 7 computer we recently upgraded to 10. So far he loves it! But... His desktop icon text is normally black with no shadow, but sometimes after he closes programs...
  7. How to change desktop icon font color

How to change desktop icon font color: Hi, I have winaero tweaker, and don't see how to change icon/shortcut font color. Could someone help with tweaker or in the registry editor? I have windows 10 1903. I see "desktop colors - which setting applies to icon font color? thanks...
  8. how to change desktop icon font color and style

how to change desktop icon font color and style: With this latest Windows update, the icons on my desktop are in white with shadows. How can I get them to return to regular black letters. Thank you....
  9. Change Desktop icon font color

Change Desktop icon font color: I've tried the changing background to Orange, etc and it doesn't work for me. Somewhere, it was mentioned about changing to orange then changing back. Followed the procedure and it didn't work.Would like to change to black. Pete 78333
  10. color icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    color icons on desktop: Many icons on my desktop have no color and these seem to be the ones that keep moving around when the machine is shut down. Anybody have any suggestions? 59589