Windows 10: Desktop Icon Columns

Discus and support Desktop Icon Columns in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have lots of shortcut icons on my desktop for files and programs. That means 2 or 3 columns of small icons. It would appear the Win 10 will only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CalBear37, Oct 1, 2014.

1. CalBear37 Win User

Desktop Icon Columns

I have lots of shortcut icons on my desktop for files and programs. That means 2 or 3 columns of small icons. It would appear the Win 10 will only allow 1 column. I've messed with the icon spacing and vertical spacing (regedit) and the vertical spacing works but horizontal spacing seems to have no effect. Is that a feature or a problem?

:)

CalBear37, Oct 1, 2014
  2. Meeki94 Win User

Desktop icons keep moving when downloading a file

My desktop icons keep doing what they want.

I have my icons disposed in columns, from the top to the bottom of the desktop. Currently i have 2 columns, the first column is full (8 icons) while the in the second column there are 7 icons, so there is an "empty space" at the bottom.

Now, when i download a file from my browser (my default download location is the desktop) the file is usually created at the bottom of the second column (or in a new column if the second is full). What is driving me mad is that sometimes (completely RANDOM)
    the downloaded file is created at the HALF of the first column (even if it's full) and all the icons from the half column on are shifted by one posisiton.

This happens with the "auto arrange icons" option enabled or disabled

I already tried to delete the iconcache file but nothing changed.

The 10 version of windows and there are problems that were not even in windows 98

That's so frustrating

Meeki94, Oct 1, 2014
  3. Rasmus8 Win User
    windows 10 desktop icons won't stay in left column

Move any desktop icon, and left column is emptied of icons

Rasmus8, Oct 1, 2014
  4. Desktop Icon Columns

Hi and Welcome to TenForums.

Do you mean you would like to be able do this?

Desktop Icon Columns [​IMG]

If so, make sure you have Auto arrange switched off (un-checked)

Right Click Desktop >> View >> Auto arrange icons

Does that help?

Regards,
    Jamie

JDobbsy1987, Oct 1, 2014
  5. CalBear37 Win User
    I can move them anywhere I want with auto arrange turned off. In Win 8 and 7 auto arrange provides columns in Win 10 that doesn't work. Trying to keep 40 or more icons in order without auto arrange is a real pain. So... why is Win 10 different, feature or problem?

CalBear37, Oct 1, 2014
  6. Are you referring to the desktop or the start screen (where the live tiles are)?

JDobbsy1987, Oct 1, 2014
  7. CalBear37 Win User
    Desktop, see my original posting.

CalBear37, Oct 1, 2014
  8. Desktop Icon Columns

I honestly don't know what you mean by columns on the desktop?

Windows 8 had the ability of creating groups of apps on the start screen like this

As for the desktop, you just drag icons to where you want them, not sure what you mean by columns on the desktop unless you are using a 3rd party app like rocket doc etc...

JDobbsy1987, Oct 1, 2014
  9. CalBear37 Win User
    Icons also know as shortcuts. They look like this. They don't have to be shortcuts, they can actually represent files that are located in the desktop folder.

CalBear37, Oct 1, 2014
  10. I understand what an icon is however people use different terminology over the world so it's not always that simple.

From your screen shot i can see 3 columns of shortcuts/icons... whats the issue?

Here you can see i have a load of folders/icons

And now i have sorted them into columns...

Is this what you are wanting to do?

JDobbsy1987, Oct 1, 2014
  11. CalBear37 Win User
    I want to use auto arrange. It keeps things neat and tidy for all those icons. If you turn it on it appears you can only make 1 column. When you try to move an icon to the right of the column a "line" like this appears in the existing column perhaps indicating the limit of icon placement.
    |------| That doesn't happen in previous versions of Windows.

CalBear37, Oct 1, 2014
  12. Ah i see, i don't use the auto arrange feature to be honest.

What OS have you been using when this works? Win 7 or Win 8?

Regards,
    Jamie

JDobbsy1987, Oct 1, 2014
  13. Desktop Icon Columns

If it works the same as Win 8

Turn off the Auto Arrange Icons
    Turn on the Align Icons to Grid

See if that makes a difference, with that in 8 mine all align in rows/columns and I can move them about

paulsalter, Oct 1, 2014
  14. CalBear37 Win User
    Win XP, Win 7, Win 8. Perhaps even earlier than that, my memory is fading Desktop Icon Columns :) It appears that Microsoft decided to limit the auto arrange to one column. Perhaps that is in conjunction with the multiple desktops for some reason. I have two 24-inch monitors. The task bar is for very frequently used programs, the desktop icons are for frequently used programs and files, the start menu is for all other programs.

CalBear37, Oct 1, 2014
  15. In your columns are the text labels positioned to the right of the icons ?

David Bailey, Oct 1, 2014
Thema:

Desktop Icon Columns

1. Desktop Icon Columns - Similar Threads - Desktop Icon Columns

2. Why do I always have an empty icon spot in the last column of icons on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do I always have an empty icon spot in the last column of icons on my desktop?: My windows desktop, either version 10 or 11 always has an empty icon spot in the last column of icons. No matter what I do it is always an empty spot....
  3. How to remove / icons in the language column?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove / icons in the language column?: Same this question topic: https://answers.microsoft.com/zh-hans/windows/forum/all/win10%E5%A6%82%E4%BD%95%E5%8E%BB%E6%8E%89%E8%AF%AD/2437e7d4-61dc-45f6-ad86-295a16e8f027But the topic didn't solve my problem. The questioner solved the problem himself, but he didn't know how to...
  4. How to remove / icons in the language column?

How to remove / icons in the language column?: Same this question topic: https://answers.microsoft.com/zh-hans/windows/forum/all/win10%E5%A6%82%E4%BD%95%E5%8E%BB%E6%8E%89%E8%AF%AD/2437e7d4-61dc-45f6-ad86-295a16e8f027But the topic didn't solve my problem. The questioner solved the problem himself, but he didn't know how to...
  5. How to remove / icons in the language column?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.: Hello. I'm a Windows 10 and Windows 11 user. I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 but Windows 11 has changed number of icons on a column on desktop. It displays only 9 on Windows 11 desktop screen whereas 10 on Windows 10. How do I make Windows 11 desktop having 10 rows of...
  7. Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.

Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.: Hello. I'm a Windows 10 and Windows 11 user. I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 but Windows 11 has changed number of icons on a column on desktop. It displays only 9 on Windows 11 desktop screen whereas 10 on Windows 10. How do I make Windows 11 desktop having 10 rows of...
  8. Icons add to desktop in columns. Items on desktop are highlighted by rows. How does this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons add to desktop in columns. Items on desktop are highlighted by rows. How does this...: When you have icons added to the desktop, they add vertically from top left down column by column moving right. When you select an icon, and hold shift, and select another icon, it highlights all the icons by row first, starting where selected and going right then down, row...
  9. more columns on windows screen for icons?

more columns on windows screen for icons?: I need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-columns-on-windows-screen-for-icons/4ce92140-5121-4ddb-a978-a570fa07f4a7
  10. Desktop: change icon autoarrange order from columns to rows

Desktop: change icon autoarrange order from columns to rows: Hello, I have an issue with the autoarrange of icons on the desktop. I like to organized my icons in rows and have several rows with different grouped icons. However, when I download new files to my desktop, their icons are automatically arranged in columns on the desktop,...