Windows 10: Desktop Icon sorting: 1st list from A-Z, 2nd list from A-Z

Discus and support Desktop Icon sorting: 1st list from A-Z, 2nd list from A-Z in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The below is not so much of an problem and probably there is a logical explanation for this curious sorting. When doing a desktop sort, the results... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tfwul, Sep 28, 2015.

1. tfwul Win User

Desktop Icon sorting: 1st list from A-Z, 2nd list from A-Z

The below is not so much of an problem and probably there is a logical explanation for this curious sorting.

When doing a desktop sort, the results are as follows:

(let's say I have 30 icons)

- a number of icons are sorted from A-Z (say 20 icons)
    then
    - the rest is also sorted from A-Z (10 icons)

there are also 2 desktop.ini-files

Don't know whether or not it has something to do with it.

=

Desktop Icon sorting: 1st list from A-Z, 2nd list from A-Z [​IMG]

=

Note: maybe this is a common thing, I really don't know. It has been this way for many years for many years, since way back Windows 7. I don't raise this as a specific Windows 10 issue, but am just curious to know why desktop sorting takes place this way, at least with me.

Thanks.
    =

:)

tfwul, Sep 28, 2015
  2. garym123 Win User

Groove Music - Song by Artist does Not Show in List

from the song, artist, album selection you select 'songs'

you refine the search and use the filters, sort by 'artist' , filter 'only on this device' , genres 'all genres'

What do you get if you list songs and use sort 'A to Z' ?

Artist list, refine, A to Z, only on this device, all genres ?

Album list, refine, A to Z, only on this device, all genres ?

All this is tag search,

garym123, Sep 28, 2015
  3. Is it Possible to sort MS edge bookmarks a-z instead of z-a?

Original Title:Edge Bookmark sorting?????????

Is it Possible to sort MS edge bookmarks a-z instead of z-a, and put folders first?

TravisBreedlove, Sep 28, 2015
  4. pbcopter Win User

The reason you are seeing this is that the desktop is really composed of two folders. One is your user desktop folder and the other is a public desktop folder that is for all users. They are combined into one desktop for each user. When they are sorted, each folder is sorted separately.

Program shortcuts that are intended for all users are stored in the public desktop folder and those that only the specific user intends to use are stored in his or her desktop folder. The result is seeing all the shortcuts on the one desktop.

pbcopter, Sep 28, 2015
  5. tfwul Win User
    Thanks a lot.

Assume this is the same with everybody then and can not entirely be avoided...?

Some installs (not all) are offering the option to install for 'All Users' (or something like that), in which case I should then untag that option so as to limit this, let's say, 'double listing' / 'double sorting'.

=

tfwul, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop Icon sorting: 1st list from A-Z, 2nd list from A-Z - Similar Threads - Desktop Icon sorting

2. 2nd monitor vanished from device list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd monitor vanished from device list: I had two monitors working fine. Suddenly one of the monitors vanished. I checked the connections, all were fine. I checked the cable by connecting it to another computer. The monitor works fine with other computers. I tried looking into the Device list. The second monitor is...
  3. 2nd monitor vanished from device list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd monitor vanished from device list: I had two monitors working fine. Suddenly one of the monitors vanished. I checked the connections, all were fine. I checked the cable by connecting it to another computer. The monitor works fine with other computers. I tried looking into the Device list. The second monitor is...
  4. How do I change the order of downloads in a folder from "Z to A" to "A to Z"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the order of downloads in a folder from "Z to A" to "A to Z"?: I don't know how I did it, but somehow I changed the order of my downloads in this folder I have. https://imgsh.net/i/0saO3ay.pngthe screenshot wouldn't upload to this website, so I had to upload it elsewhere and copy-and-paste it here...
  5. How do I change the order of downloads in a folder from "Z to A" to "A to Z"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the order of downloads in a folder from "Z to A" to "A to Z"?: I don't know how I did it, but somehow I changed the order of my downloads in this folder I have. https://imgsh.net/i/0saO3ay.pngthe screenshot wouldn't upload to this website, so I had to upload it elsewhere and copy-and-paste it here...
  6. How do I change the order of downloads in a folder from "Z to A" to "A to Z"?

7. Z drive

Z drive: Trying to access my quick books program t thru the server computer. I can get it on the server computer but not my computer … it says You must have at least 512KB available on drive Z: in order to open the Quickbooks company.Can anyone assist?...
  8. Ctrl z

Ctrl z: I was writing in the notepad and then I clicked ctrl z to undo what I did but instead of retrieving my notes while clicking ctrl z, my notes were all gone.. I need to know how and why it happened ??...
  9. Drive Z?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive Z?: What is this drive Z and how do I get rid of it?[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-z/df59a2d7-3838-48d5-b62c-b2ca2f64cb69
  10. Remove Drive Z: from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove Drive Z: from File Explorer: How can I remove the Z drive from appearing in File Explorer? I can't access it "You don't currently have permission to this folder", which is fine as its's EFI partition on Disk 0. I have tried diskpart "select volume Z" then "remove letter=Z", which works at first, but...