Windows 10: Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed

Discus and support Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a laptop with a 4k 17.3" display. When set to native resolution, 3840x2160, some programs do not display their dialog boxes and menus in usable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Leo Scott, May 5, 2017.

1. Leo Scott Win User

Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed

I have a laptop with a 4k 17.3" display. When set to native resolution, 3840x2160, some programs do not display their dialog boxes and menus in usable form. In an attempt to correct this I have tried setting the display resolution to 1920x1080. Then setting the magnification to 100%. At 4k resolution it is set to 250%. When I change the resolution down the dialogs and menus become usable, however all the desktop icons disappear and the icons pinned to the taskbar all change to the same graphic, I can't tell what it is. If I change the resolution back to 4k the icons become normal again. Any ideas?

:)

Leo Scott, May 5, 2017

2. Icons

In Windows 10: Icons have disappeared from desktop and from listings of documents, downloads and pictures. Non Microsoft icon in taskbar have changed to generic icon. Resetting to a date prior to disappearance did not work.

Welwyn Woman, May 5, 2017
  3. My taskbar icons disappear

I am using Windows 10. In my desktop I have icons in the taskbar. These open OK but when I close any icon the rest of the icons all disappear in the taskbar even though the task bar is 'locked'. There is a white vertical bar in the taskbar to the right
    of the icons with up and down arrows. When the icons have disappeared if I click on the up arrow they all appear again. This is a pain having to do this everytime. What is the point of 'Lock the taskbar'. How do I stop these icons from disappearing?

RonnieCampbellZD, May 5, 2017
Thema:

Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed

1. Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Disappeared

2. Icons on the taskbar disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons on the taskbar disappeared: I was working on My laptop until suddenly I got a blue screen, then when it ended during the reboot it said reparing the device, I am now in the desktop and My taskbar icons are missing, what do I do?...
  3. Taskbar icons disappeared!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icons disappeared!!: Unsure what happened but my taskbar icons have disappeared, please help :' Tried looking through other questions but can't seem to find my answer.I'm not on tablet mode, checked taskbar settings and my system icons are all on, only have 1 screen, .. run out of solutions....
  4. Taskbar icons disappeared!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons disappeared!!: Unsure what happened but my taskbar icons have disappeared, please help :' Tried looking through other questions but can't seem to find my answer.I'm not on tablet mode, checked taskbar settings and my system icons are all on, only have 1 screen, .. run out of solutions....
  5. Taskbar icons disappeared!!

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Desktop icons, background. and taskbar disappear

Desktop icons, background. and taskbar disappear: A coworker is having an issue with their computer and I've been tasked to figure it out, but I don't understand what's happening here.At random times during the day her desktop background, desktop icons, and taskbar disappear and all she can see is a black screen and her...
  7. Taskbar Icons Disappearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar Icons Disappearing: [IMG] Sometimes my taskbar icons disappear. They still work and if I hover the mouse over a blank spot the name of the app appears. I can click and use the apps just fine. I just don't know why they go away....
  8. Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons Disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons Disappeared: So I started up my computer today and I noticed that all of the icons for my apps where missing on my desktop, and on my taskbar it just showed a generic image, except for mail which is showing just fine. I can still access all of the apps, and when I load up discord the...
  9. Desktop & Taskbar Icons have disappeared

Desktop & Taskbar Icons have disappeared: All Desktop Icons & Taskbar Icons have disappeared. Why & how do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-taskbar-icons-have-disappeared/77766c8c-93a0-4e51-915c-75eb1d81c959
  10. Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed: This morning when I booted up my desktop, all of my icons on the desktop were missing, although the shortcut is still there and works. The icons in the taskbar now have a generic looking icon. Right clicking on the start menu no longer brings up the menu and when I go to file...