Windows 10: Desktop icons do not work

Discus and support Desktop icons do not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I click on my desktop icons I get a small square window (by the icon) that I can click and put a check mark in. It does not open the program. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Underachiever, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Desktop icons do not work

When I click on my desktop icons I get a small square window (by the icon) that I can click and put a check mark in. It does not open the program. In order for me to open program/icon I have to right click the icon and select open from the drop down menu. I can click icons in the lower taskbar and they'll open programs but I'm puzzled on what I've done here.

Using Windows 10 64 bit OS.

Help and suggestions are appreciated. What do I need to do to allow me to double click icons in the desktop and open programs?

Thank you

:)

Underachiever, Nov 13, 2016

2. Desktop Icons do not work.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

I understand your inconvenience and we will surely help you to resolve the issue.

Please answer the below question to resolve your issue.

1. What icons are you trying to open?

2. If issue is specific with all desktop icon?

3. Go to all Apps and check if you can open the applications?

Please follow the below methods to resolve the issue:

Method 1: Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

SFC scan:

1. Press Windows logo + X.

2. Select command prompt admin.

3. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ (without quotes) and press enter.

4. Restart your computer.

Refer link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: Perform DISM and check it helps.

I suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

1. Press Windows key + X.

2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press
    Enter.

Hope this helps to resolve the issue. Please revert for any clarification on this or any Windows issue. We will be glad to help you.

Suvarna Govinda, Nov 13, 2016
  3. Desktop Icons do not work.

Thank you for your speedy reply. As I sat musing over the problem, I decided to check the updates. I updated what was suggested, restarted the computer and every icon on the desktop worked. It is hard for me to imaging that the problem was solved so
    simply. I will , however, keep your directions incase the problem arises again. Thank you.

Care Valkanas, Nov 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Desktop icons do not work

Hi, I understand that associations for .lnk (shortcuts) may be broken.

You might try
    Default File Type Associations - Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Option 2 and find 'lnk'
    Download and merge the reg file.
    Make sure you follow the instructions under Option 2.

Otherwise if the problem has occurred recently you may have a system restore point you could use.

Note: we strongly recommend using disk imaging routinely so you can easily restore your system to a previous working state e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external image storage.

dalchina, Nov 13, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    A single click does exactly that, selects a desktop icon or shortcut. To open a program from desktop icon you need to double click it.

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop icons do not work

1. Desktop icons do not work - Similar Threads - Desktop icons

2. Can't create desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create desktop icons: I have an enterprise-managed laptop which had a disk crash, and IT installed a fresh enterprise image of Windows 10 . The laptop shows desktop icons when connected to the enterprise network. I want to be able to have full use this laptop when not connected to the work...
  3. Can't create desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create desktop icons: I have an enterprise-managed laptop which had a disk crash, and IT installed a fresh enterprise image of Windows 10 . The laptop shows desktop icons when connected to the enterprise network. I want to be able to have full use this laptop when not connected to the work...
  4. Can't create desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode: When you enter Safe Mode with any variant on any Windows 11 build Assumingly build 22000 - 26100 - The widgets and "Learn about this picture" icons do not get set to hidden in Safe Mode despite them not being supported there due to multiple services being disabled there all...
  6. Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode

Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode: When you enter Safe Mode with any variant on any Windows 11 build Assumingly build 22000 - 26100 - The widgets and "Learn about this picture" icons do not get set to hidden in Safe Mode despite them not being supported there due to multiple services being disabled there all...
  7. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?: It is very annoying when I have taken the trouble to order my desktop icons to how I want them, when a Windows Update totally trashes my preference with a re-ordered desk top that defies logic . Is there anyway of stopping this or do I just have to accept that Microsoft knows...
  8. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?: It is very annoying when I have taken the trouble to order my desktop icons to how I want them, when a Windows Update totally trashes my preference with a re-ordered desk top that defies logic . Is there anyway of stopping this or do I just have to accept that Microsoft knows...
  9. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. How to remove the small arrow icon from the applications icons on the desktop without...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove the small arrow icon from the applications icons on the desktop without...: Hello Community,I had Windows 11 Pro installed on my PC and I've recently reinstalled it from the scratch due to some display drivers related issues. After the OS reinstallation, I can see that there're small arrow icons at the bottom left corner of some of the applications...