Windows 10: Desktop icons doesn't show up until I restart explorer.exe on task manager on start up

Discus and support Desktop icons doesn't show up until I restart explorer.exe on task manager on start up in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello I've had this problem for over a month now and I do not know what has caused it Every time I start my computer up or restart (sleep not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JosieRiz, Aug 14, 2018.

1. JosieRiz Win User

Desktop icons doesn't show up until I restart explorer.exe on task manager on start up

Hello

I've had this problem for over a month now and I do not know what has caused it

Every time I start my computer up or restart (sleep not affected) my desktop icons are all gone

If I go on file explorer and check my drives, everything is still there but if I try to look at my desktop from file explorer, everything is gone there too.

The icons come back when I end explorer.exe and start it again

Another thing is, the only thing that is in my task bar is google chrome and if I start my computer up and don't restart explorer.exe, when I open chrome, it opens with none of my bookmarks or themes etc. it just opens up as if it's my first time ever using google chrome

restarting explorer.exe also fixes the chrome problem ^

:)

JosieRiz, Aug 14, 2018

2. Computer not showing desktop or start icon?

My computer is not showing the desktop icons or the start menu bar... everytime I want to open something i have to use the windows task manager. anyone know why this happens? also when i want to open My Computer properties or something it says I'm missing the RUNDLL32.EXE

Victas2009, Aug 14, 2018
  3. Antilope Win User
    Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?

You can drag and drop icons from the Apps list or Start Menu to the Task Bar or the Desktop. A copy of the icon will be dragged to the Task Bar or Desktop and the original icon will still be in the Apps list or Start Menu.

You can also find the .exe file in the File Explorer and right click and copy the .exe file. Then right click over the desktop and paste shortcut to place an icon on the desktop.

Antilope, Aug 14, 2018
  4. Desktop icons doesn't show up until I restart explorer.exe on task manager on start up

Desktop Icons not showing on Start up

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• Are you able to view the icons on Start Menu?
    • Are you able to view the icons on desktop when you login with other user account?

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1:
    Microsoft Account Troubleshooter

If the issue persist with the particular user account then I suggest you to download and run the
    Microsoft Account Troubleshooter and check.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts.diagcab

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to follow method 2 and check.

Method 2:
    Rebuilding the Icon Cache.

Close all windows that are currently open and follow the steps provided below.

• Launch Task Manager, using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key.
    • In the Process tab, right-click on the Windows Explorer.
    • Click on End Task.
    • In Task Manager, click on File menu.
    • Select Run new task.
    • Type CMD.EXE, and click OK button.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

DEL IconCache.db /a

EXIT
    • In Task Manager, click on File menu.
    • Select Run new task.
    • Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK button.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if the issue is resolved. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

Desktop icons doesn't show up until I restart explorer.exe on task manager on start up

1. Desktop icons doesn't show up until I restart explorer.exe on task manager on start up - Similar Threads - Desktop icons doesn't

2. Task manager doesn't work and icons don't show up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager doesn't work and icons don't show up: A few months ago, my laptop's HP ENVY x360 Convertible, Model No. 15-dr1000nx desktop and taskbar icons suddenly disappeared and soon after that, I found out that Task Manager had also stopped working. I also noticed that applications that are pre-installed or installed from...
  3. Task manager doesn't work and icons don't show up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager doesn't work and icons don't show up: A few months ago, my laptop's HP ENVY x360 Convertible, Model No. 15-dr1000nx desktop and taskbar icons suddenly disappeared and soon after that, I found out that Task Manager had also stopped working. I also noticed that applications that are pre-installed or installed from...
  4. Task manager doesn't work and icons don't show up

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Task manager doesn't work and icons don't show up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. PowerShell showing up on start up on task manager why?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PowerShell showing up on start up on task manager why?: I tried Malwarebytes they said "The service is not normal but the contents of the script seem normal. It's possible that it is/was some sort of Manufacturer setup script but not sure so I will remove it." then I re-installed my win10 but it still showing and removed it from...
  7. App doesn't show up in App History in Task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    App doesn't show up in App History in Task manager: The question posed by Boatbuilder2000 was I am using the web designing app 'Xara Web Designer Premium' on my Windows 10 computer but can't find it listed in the 'App History' in the Task manager. As I have been using this a lot, is there any reason why this does not...
  8. USB floppy drive doesn't show up until explorer is refreshed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB floppy drive doesn't show up until explorer is refreshed: I have a USB floppy drive that I connected to my Windows 10 laptop, when I was in the "This PC" folder, it would show up when I connected the drive. But today, it doesn't show up on "This PC", until I refresh the "This PC" window. I have not updated my Windows. I don't know...
  9. App doesn't show up in App History in Task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    App doesn't show up in App History in Task manager: I am using the web designing app 'Xara Web Designer Premium' on my Windows 10 computer but can't find it listed in the 'App History' in the Task manager. As I have been using this a lot, is there any reason why this does not appear as I am interested to know more details...
  10. Icons not showing up on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons not showing up on desktop: Hello all, I've run into a problem on my laptop where icons are not showing up on the desktop. If I go to Personalization and add icons for My Computer, Recycle Bin, or whatever, they don't show up. Copy-pasting a file to the desktop, it doesn't show up. However, I can see...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop icons hidden untill explorer is restarted