Windows 10: Desktop icons keep re-aranging themselves. How to stop it?

Discus and support Desktop icons keep re-aranging themselves. How to stop it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For some reason, every time I change users, the desktop icons re-arrange themselves. I Switch Users often. This hasn't happened in 20 years, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by t8769, Feb 13, 2016.

1. t8769 Win User

Desktop icons keep re-aranging themselves. How to stop it?

For some reason, every time I change users, the desktop icons re-arrange themselves.

I Switch Users often.

This hasn't happened in 20 years, but Win10 has decided to do this.

Can anyone please let me know how to stop this

I cannot find any way to do this.

Thanks

:)

t8769, Feb 13, 2016

2. Desktop Icons moving

How can I stop my desktop icons from re arranging themselves when I restart my computer at times?

TerryAvakian, Feb 13, 2016
  3. Icons arranging by themselves on the desktop

My icons keep arranging themselves after reboot or desktop refresh (Auto arrange and arange togrid are not checked). Tried clean reboot - issue persists. Tried safe mode - issue persists there too. Tried creating a different user, issue - persists. Tried
    system restore to a restore point - issue comes back after restart. Sweeped my whole pc with anti-virus software, nothing changes. At this point I do not know what to do. Any ideas?

MarioStoilov, Feb 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 13, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    Only happened for me if there was some display scaling (other than 100%) set - then the icons then all jump to the left hand side when switching users.

It seems it is fixed in latest insider build 14287 though so perhaps the fix will get more generally released at some point.

6. dalchina New Member
    Hmm, interesting.. the default on my new hi res 15.6" laptop was 125%... but I never tried switching users..

dalchina, Feb 13, 2016
  7. t8769 Win User
    There are so many problems with Win10, I'm thinking of going back to Win7 and returning in a few years.

Its good to know they're working on this - so annoying....

Thanks

t8769, Feb 13, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

My Win 10's been stable on 2 laptops.. after a couple of glitches early on.. not everyone's been so lucky. Definitely some weak points.

dalchina, Feb 13, 2016
  9. t8769 Win User
    I'm just fed up, so many problems, so many bugs, poor design and bad functions.

I mean - how can Windows not have a Search function that works?!?

Perhaps I'll come back to Win10 in a few years when they've got themselves together.

Thanks

t8769, Feb 13, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Windows Search has been something I've always avoided. Agreed, it is very awkward (relatively) and comparatively slow (searching for things on a PC, not the internet) whether using the limited Cortana My Stuff - which only seems to search indexed locations or trying to get a sensible result using explorer. Its only use to me is searching Settings.

Two freeware tools with find-as-you-type faster than the eye can blink results that index files and folders:
    Everything (void tools) - modern, maintained,
    Locate32 (older, adds search within text files)

Both have sophisticated search string and search specification options.

Now I've got Win 10 looking ok (note the Orb, transparency, Win 7 icons), I ignore Cortana, Win 10's start menu and the universal apps, use Thunderbird and Firefox, about the on;y thing that plagues me is the need to reconfirm associations on odd occasions which others have reported.

Desktop icons keep re-aranging themselves. How to stop it? [​IMG]

But I can understand people being frustrated with random bugs unaccountably reappearing or driver issues, for example.

At least you haven't had 'System and compressed memory' using excessive CPU plaguing you... not that I want to put you off..

dalchina, Feb 13, 2016
  11. t8769 Win User
    Thanks for the info - most useful!

Win10 - sometimes I think its more of a suicide note than an operating system. Its Microsoft's way of saying 'We already have too much money, have you thought about using Chrome?'.

Oh well.... I'll try these out

Thanks

t8769, Feb 13, 2016
  12. Steve C Win User
    This behaviour is a 'feature' of Windows 10 due to poor software design & testing. Switching between accounts causes this icons to rearrange rendering the switching function useless. I find the icons stay put provided you log out of an account first before logging in to the other account.

Steve C, Feb 14, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

No, it is a bug which has been fixed.

That is all.

Thema:

1. Desktop icons keep re-aranging themselves. How to stop it? - Similar Threads - Desktop icons keep

2. Windows 11 Desktop icons rearrange and re-sort themselves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop icons rearrange and re-sort themselves: Lately, my Windows desktop icons have periodically and at random rearranged and re-sorted themselves.It looks like at arbitrary times, This PC and the Recycle Bin, which are traditionally at the top left hand corner of the desktop now shift downwards. The icons re-sort...
  3. Windows 11 Desktop icons rearrange and re-sort themselves

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop icons rearrange and re-sort themselves: Lately, my Windows desktop icons have periodically and at random rearranged and re-sorted themselves.It looks like at arbitrary times, This PC and the Recycle Bin, which are traditionally at the top left hand corner of the desktop now shift downwards. The icons re-sort...
  4. Microsoft store Apps keep re-installing themselves. How can i stop it? or completely remove...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft store Apps keep re-installing themselves. How can i stop it? or completely remove...: Why do i keep finding apps i uninstalled back on my PC? I don't want the ASUS bloatware that came with the PC, but windows store keeps reinstalling them. Also the xbox stuff. I don't play xbox, but it can't be removed. And the news feed that i can disable, but not remove!What...
  5. Desktop icons keep resetting themselves

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons keep resetting themselves: I am trying to use custom icons for my file folders, however, they keep resetting to the standard folder icon. I am right clicking on the folder>properties>customize>change icon>browse>and selecting my downloaded icon. It does show the change, but then reverts back. Anyone...
  6. Desktop icons keep re-arranging

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons keep re-arranging: Why do my desktop icons get rearranged each time a start up or even when I click on one of the icons and then come back to the desktop? This is very annoying. [Original Title: Desktop icons]...
  7. How do I stop applications re-adding themselves to startup? I keep disabling them and they...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop applications re-adding themselves to startup? I keep disabling them and they...: How do I stop applications re-adding themselves to startup? I keep disabling them (using 'Startup') and they keep re-appearing every time I restart the PC - and there's no option to stop that in the settings of each program! How do I force-stop them from constantly adding...
  8. How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays?

How do I prevent Desktop Icons from randomly re-arranging themselves on multiple displays?: I've been searching all over the internet for the correct answer to this question for at least a couple of hours now. None of the answers I found helped except for the following, which isn't really an answer: 1) Turn off Auto Arrange Icons 2) Make sure Align to Grid is...
  9. How can I stop desktop icons from rearranging themselves after rebooting?

How can I stop desktop icons from rearranging themselves after rebooting?: It occurs after the computer is shut down and rebooted, but not after I merely restart the computer. I have already made sure that the “auto arrange icons” is unchecked, and the “IconCache” has been deleted. Because of visual problems I have to keep the “change the size...
  10. Desktop Icons Re-arrange Themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Re-arrange Themselves: I'm resurrecting this because I've finally been able to narrow down what's happening when desktop icons re-arrange themselves even though auto-arrange icons is turned off. I've been paying more attention to what has been done when this occurs and I can now cause this issue to...