Windows 10: Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock

Discus and support Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell laptop and a Dell external monitor. I am running Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.1884 I have seen other posts about this but nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rhodesengr, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock

I have a Dell laptop and a Dell external monitor. I am running Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.1884
    I have seen other posts about this but nothing recent. I am new to using a laptop with a second monitor. Every time I dock or undock the laptop, the desktop icons rearrange themselves. I have autoarrange off and have tried toggling "display desktop icons".

Was this issue every actually fixed? Or just something we have to live with. Its a big waste of time to arrange my icon on the big external monitor only to have them change after an undock/dock cycle. Also, when I undock, the icon location are very different on the laptop builtin screen.

Is there a way to have two desktops that don't change, one for the external monitor when docked and one of the built-in when undocked?

:)

rhodesengr, Dec 11, 2017
  2. SL023 Win User

display characteristics switching between dock and undocked

Just purchased Surface 4 a week ago and went through the hardware upgrade at the Microsoft Store. I am having a refresh issue moving between the dock and undocking. Here is what happens and a current workaround:

1. Using undocked, display font sizes and windows look good.

2. Plug in the dock with external Dell monitor, the icons are super big and the scale is all off for IE and other programs. It doesn't seem to recognize the native resolution of the external monitor, yet when checking display properties it is accurate.

3. Sign out of user settings

4. Sign back in

5. Display properties correctly scale and icons, IE all scale correctly.

It also incorrectly works the other way:

1. with the SF4 docked, everything looks good

2. Undock, and the icons are miniscule. Can barely see IE favorites or desktop icons on the screen. Working with display settings for icon, toolbars does nothing.

3. Sign out of user settings

4. sign back in

5. Display properties correctly scale for Surface being undocked

Please tell me I don't need to do this workaround for ever

Thanks.

SL023, Dec 11, 2017
  3. advanced sizing of text and other items resets whenever resolution changes

Our workplace has gone to surface pro 4s. They are designed (education) to be docked/undocked regularly.

My problem is that changing the text size via 'advanced sizing of text and other items' so that everything isn't 9pt (too small for my aging eyes) resets anytime the resolution changes. (As does the position of any desktop icon...I know that Microsoft is
    not smart enough to fix this problem as it has been an issue in every version of their software despite LOTS of requests and complaints to fix it.)

Because of the nature of how we use them, the resolution changes every time we dock/undock as we project during a teaching lesson.

UGH! How can I keep this from happening.

Please don't suggest adding additional software...we cannot add software.

ScottHavice, Dec 11, 2017
  4. Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock

When you dock and use a full-size monitor the resolution might be 1920x1080.
    In that state, let's assume you have icons all over the desktop.

Now undock the laptop. In this mode the display resolution might be 1600x900.
    In this situation any x-axis coordinate above 1600 no longer exists.
    And any y-axis coordinate above 900 no longer exists.

So any icon that had been in those locations must be moved in order to keep them on screen.
    Windows moves them around into seemingly random locations. You cannot prevent that.

However, you can use a program (such as Icon Restorer) to record the location of your desktop icons.

In full 1920x1080 mode ... push your icons into "nice" places and then "record" their locations using Icon Restorer. He will remember icons locations for this 1920x1080 screen. (One button click.)

Undock into 1600x900 mode ... fix the now-scrambled icons into "nice" places and then "record" their locations using Icon Restorer. He will remember icons locations for this 1600x900 screen. (One button click.)

Thereafter ... whenever you go from dock to undock (or vice versa) just "restore" the remembered icon positions using Icon Restorer. (One button click.)

margrave55, Dec 12, 2017
  5. The reason you don't see many post anymore is not because its been fixed, its just that most users that see this problem, have taken alternate solutions. IE: backing up their desktop icon positions via 3rd party software. Its been broke, MS will never fix it so the best solution is to backup the locations and when Windoz decides to re-org them, you can restore to the previous locations. Lots of programs out there I use "DeskTopOK" it works.

Have a Great DAY !

storageman, Dec 12, 2017
  6. ok. I have Desktop OK loaded and it seems to work great. Thanks for the tips.

rhodesengr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock

1. Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock - Similar Threads - Desktop icons keep

2. Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing: Dear MS representatives,Will the Windows 10 bug that causes theHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetricsIconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacingto keep increasing from the default value of -1125 each time a Surface Book device is docked and undocked, ever be fixed?I...
  3. Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing: Dear MS representatives,Will the Windows 10 bug that causes theHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetricsIconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacingto keep increasing from the default value of -1125 each time a Surface Book device is docked and undocked, ever be fixed?I...
  4. Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop Icons keep rearranging after trying EVERYTHING

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons keep rearranging after trying EVERYTHING: Title is as it says, this is windows 10 btwI use a monitor that connects to my laptop and after every restart and sometimes when I start a random application the icons just shift into different positions than where I want them to be and it seems to shift into the same...
  6. Desktop Icons keep rearranging after trying EVERYTHING

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons keep rearranging after trying EVERYTHING: Title is as it says, this is windows 10 btwI use a monitor that connects to my laptop and after every restart and sometimes when I start a random application the icons just shift into different positions than where I want them to be and it seems to shift into the same...
  7. Desktop Icons keep rearranging after trying EVERYTHING

8. Desktop icons keep rearranging

Desktop icons keep rearranging: After rebooting the system, the desktop icons usually arrange in a different way than they used to be. I deleted the “IconCache” and checked “auto arrange icons”. I want them to be at fixed places....
  9. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: when i rearrange position of the icon it will amass icon in 1 point, i have checked align icon to grid but it just like that again,don't know how to fix it[ATTACH] ***Changed title from Error icons***...
  10. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: Hello, My desktop icons keep rearranging and windows explorer won't save the position I put them in. I can rearrange them but when I click 'Refresh' or if I restart explorer or if I reboot they rearrange to another setup. This happens in both normal mode and safe mode....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 icons rearranged after docking

2. desktop icons rearrange after docking

3. windows 10 how to lock desktop icons position when docking laptop

4. widows 10 undocking laptop rearranges desktop icons,
  5. desktop icons moving when docking undocking,
  6. lenovo laptop desktop icons docked and undocked,
  7. desktop items keep moving when undocked,
  8. how to keep my desktop icons from moving if i undock,
  9. why does my desktop icons keep moving when plugged into dock,
  10. icons move when undocking laptop windows 10,
  11. desktop icons rearrang after dock/undock,
  12. desktop icons keep rearranging themselves when ever i connect to the dock,
  13. how do i keep my icons from rearranging when undocking,
  14. when I undock my surface icons move,
  15. desktop icons move undock laptop windows 10