Windows 10: Desktop icons keep rearranging

Discus and support Desktop icons keep rearranging in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, My desktop icons keep rearranging and windows explorer won't save the position I put them in. I can rearrange them but when I click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by m3lis, Aug 11, 2015.

1. m3lis Win User

Desktop icons keep rearranging

Hello,

My desktop icons keep rearranging and windows explorer won't save the position I put them in.

I can rearrange them but when I click 'Refresh' or if I restart explorer or if I reboot they rearrange to another setup. This happens in both normal mode and safe mode.

I have tried all the solutions available on the internet with no luck, including the obvious ones (trying all the auto-arrange and grid options) and even some more complex ones (sfc, registry tweaks).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

:)

m3lis, Aug 11, 2015

2. Desktop messed up after an update

I have the same problem. Recycle Bin keeps moving when trying to rearrange icons in desktop.

Leonardo Manrique, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Desktop Icons Keep Rearranging!

David,

I went online to the Microsoft web site and here is what we tried. I dont know if it actually fixed the problem yet but the next session on my laptop should tell.

First go to Settings, then Personalization, then Themes, then Desktop Icon Settings. Check the "allow thems to change the desktop icons, and hit apply. If already checked, click again to remove the check and then hit apply . Restart the pc and see what
    happens......

I have my fingers crossed for the Monday morning....

Good luck,

Rich

Rich 112455, Aug 11, 2015
  4. seanp2500 Win User

I am having same exact problem and it is really bugging me ugh

seanp2500, Aug 13, 2015
  5. G0rg0ne Win User
    I have this problem too, I can't find a solution anywhere. It looks like autoarrange icons is allway on even I deselect it. The sort option is strange too, if I select "Name" for example, the order is everything else except alphabetical order.

G0rg0ne, Aug 13, 2015
  6. m3lis Win User
    Upon installing windows from scratch this problem does not appear, but it does appear some time later. Perhaps something triggers it?

m3lis, Aug 13, 2015
  7. steve1711 Win User
    Happens to me but only when I save a file - eg have an Excel file on the desktop, then save it and the file will be moved to some random location on the desktop. Other icons stay where they are - even if I reboot.

The only "fix" I have is a small free program called IconRestorer. This takes a snapshot of your desktop, then if anything has moved it is just one click and everything returns to the place it was.

steve1711, Aug 13, 2015
  8. m3lis Win User

I have tried IconRestorer and it didn't work unfortunately. However, such programs are workarounds and do not really fix the issue.

m3lis, Aug 13, 2015
  9. G0rg0ne Win User
    I made an upgrade from 8.1 to 10. In the begining all was fine, I can arrange desktop icons how I want. This problem came after first cumulative update (KB3081424).

G0rg0ne, Aug 13, 2015
  10. m3lis Win User
    I tried uninstalling that but it didn't help unfortunately.

m3lis, Aug 13, 2015
  11. itekweni Win User
    I am also struggling with this and tried everything nothing works

itekweni, Aug 21, 2015
  12. WeLL.....?

W - T - F ? ? ? ?

the user is always right?
    this is so much iritating

1stcowgirl, Aug 21, 2015
  13. magilla Win User

I have the same problem. I rearranged some icons and they rearranged to the original position. Also, I added a new icon on the desktop and it disappeared a day later. Any ideas from ANYONE?

magilla, Aug 26, 2015
  14. Rivergoat Win User
    For issues where desktop icons do not appear correctly (appearing instead as generic icons, for instance), I have had luck by deleting the icon database and having it rebuild itself. I don't know if it affects icon position on the desktop, but maybe worth a shot?

Rivergoat, Aug 29, 2015
  15. m3lis Win User
    Thank you for your reply. Can you please let us know how u did that though? Thanks

m3lis, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Desktop icons keep rearranging - Similar Threads - Desktop icons keep

2. Desktop Icons keep rearranging on dual monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons keep rearranging on dual monitors: Everytime I open my computer the desktop icons just distribute themselves on both monitor like they please. But when I unplug my second monitor they go back to the way I placed them on my first monitor. When I plug back my other monitor, it goes back to spreading across both...
  3. Desktop Icons keep rearranging on dual monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons keep rearranging on dual monitors: Everytime I open my computer the desktop icons just distribute themselves on both monitor like they please. But when I unplug my second monitor they go back to the way I placed them on my first monitor. When I plug back my other monitor, it goes back to spreading across both...
  4. Fix Desktop Icons keep rearranging 2023

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fix Desktop Icons keep rearranging 2023: 1 First try these fixes for desktop icons rearranging themselves, one of which has always worked: https://thegeekpage.com/desktop-icons-rearranging-themselves-after-restart-on-windows-10-fix/ https://techcult.com/fix-desktop-icons-keep-rearranging-windows-10/...
  5. Desktop Icons keep rearranging after trying EVERYTHING

Desktop Icons keep rearranging after trying EVERYTHING: Title is as it says, this is windows 10 btwI use a monitor that connects to my laptop and after every restart and sometimes when I start a random application the icons just shift into different positions than where I want them to be and it seems to shift into the same...
  6. Desktop Icons keep rearranging on dual monitors

Desktop Icons keep rearranging on dual monitors: Hi,Everytime I open my computer the desktop icons just distribute themselves on both monitor like they please. But when I unplug my second monitor they go back to the way I placed them on my first monitor. When I plug back my other monitor, it goes back to spreading across...
  7. Desktop Icons rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons rearranging: I have a user who is using dual monitors and their desktop icons always revert back to the main monitor on restart. I logged in and moved icons around and restarted and everything was where i moved it. So this appears to be user specific. I am assuming their is something that...
  8. rearrange icons on desktop

rearrange icons on desktop: On my Win 10 desktop I can move icons to any part of the grid with a left click-hold and drag. The setting is "Align icons to grid". My wife's Win 10 will not let the icon move at all. What needs to change...
  9. Desktop icons keep rearranging

Desktop icons keep rearranging: After rebooting the system, the desktop icons usually arrange in a different way than they used to be. I deleted the “IconCache” and checked “auto arrange icons”. I want them to be at fixed places....
  10. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: when i rearrange position of the icon it will amass icon in 1 point, i have checked align icon to grid but it just like that again,don't know how to fix it[ATTACH] ***Changed title from Error icons***...