Windows 10: Desktop icons missing after every boot with second display attached

Discus and support Desktop icons missing after every boot with second display attached in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm using a GTX1080 to run two displays - a 3440x1440 via DP (set as primary) and a 4k TV via HDMI. The 4k TV is almost always off. Every time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rgames, Sep 23, 2016.

1. rgames Win User

Desktop icons missing after every boot with second display attached

I'm using a GTX1080 to run two displays - a 3440x1440 via DP (set as primary) and a 4k TV via HDMI. The 4k TV is almost always off.

Every time I boot the computer the desktop icons are missing. If I turn on the 4k TV then they reappear on the 3440x1440 monitor. I can then turn off the 4k TV and they remain on the 3440x1440 monitor.

So, whenever I boot the computer, I have to turn on the 4k TV then shut it back off.

How do I prevent this behavior?

Thanks in advance,

:)

rgames, Sep 23, 2016
  2. arjun70y Win User

on start up the displayed characters and icons are disrupted and the shows error and shuts down

on switching on the screen display shows every alphabet and window icon in a disrupted manner and after the startup window icon it does not display desktop and instead shows error and goes to troubleshoot page or shutsdown

arjun70y, Sep 23, 2016
  3. DKJu Win User
    Desktop icons move to primary monitor after connecting external monitor

Original title: Desktop icons move

After I arrange my desktop icons on my laptop, everything is fine until I plug in an external monitor. Then all icons move to the right of my laptop screen which is my primary display. How do I correct this problem so that icons DO NOT move with an external
    monitor attached?

4. Desktop icons missing after every boot with second display attached

Try this, press the Windows logo key *Start + P, then select PC Screen only. When you want to run both screens do it again and select Extend.

alphanumeric, Sep 23, 2016
Thema:

Desktop icons missing after every boot with second display attached

1. Desktop icons missing after every boot with second display attached - Similar Threads - Desktop icons missing

2. Desktop Icons keep scrambling after unplugging second display.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons keep scrambling after unplugging second display.: I setup my Icons with my second display unplugged. I plug it in, the icons have a different arrangement. So i set it up the same way.And after i unplug the second display, my Icons are scrambled....
  3. Desktop Icons keep scrambling after unplugging second display.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons keep scrambling after unplugging second display.: I setup my Icons with my second display unplugged. I plug it in, the icons have a different arrangement. So i set it up the same way.And after i unplug the second display, my Icons are scrambled....
  4. PC display lags for 0.5 seconds after every 15 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC display lags for 0.5 seconds after every 15 seconds: When i play a video or do a task in my pc unpluged . display lags for 0.5 second after every 15-25 seconds. it's just very annoying. my pc specs. Processor AMD Ryzen 5 6600H with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHzInstalled RAM 16.0 GB 15.2 GB usableSystem type 64-bit operating system,...
  5. PC display lags for 0.5 seconds after every 15 seconds

PC display lags for 0.5 seconds after every 15 seconds: When i play a video or do a task in my pc unpluged . display lags for 0.5 second after every 15-25 seconds. it's just very annoying. my pc specs. Processor AMD Ryzen 5 6600H with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHzInstalled RAM 16.0 GB 15.2 GB usableSystem type 64-bit operating system,...
  6. Desktop Icons missing

Desktop Icons missing: On 7/17/22 Windows did an update KB5015807 and I lost my Desktop Icons and some other apps. I have tried the suggested fix its discussed online but the have not fixed the problem.Please advise what I need to do to get my Windows 10 Desktop running again/Thank you!...
  7. Desktop Icons missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons missing: On 7/17/22 Windows did an update KB5015807 and I lost my Desktop Icons and some other apps. I have tried the suggested fix its discussed online but the have not fixed the problem.Please advise what I need to do to get my Windows 10 Desktop running again/Thank you!...
  8. desktop icons missing after every reboot in windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icons missing after every reboot in windows10: desktop icons missing after every reboot in windows10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-missing-after-every-reboot-in/b8294b92-7a3e-4128-a645-1245e9a08da5
  9. Windows 10 Dual display Desktop icons missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Dual display Desktop icons missing: Have W10 installed on a Dell OptiPlex 5050 (Core i5-6500, 8GB memory and a Intel Graphics chip (Intel HD Graphics 510 / 530 / 630 Driver)) with dual Dell P2201 monitors, both displays are working in extended mode and both using display ports (computer to monitor & display...
  10. BSOD 60 seconds after boot every time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD 60 seconds after boot every time: it has given me several reasons for BSOD, such as: unexpected kernel mode trap security check failure and others I forget sorry... I am running in safe mode now without problem for quite a while so I guess it is a driver problem, I hope? here is my debug thing...