Windows 10: desktop icons move constantly

Discus and support desktop icons move constantly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My desktop icons have begun to change around all the time and the taskbar gets thicker and thicker. Anyone else having this problem? How do i tell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iamjim, Jul 6, 2018.

1. iamjim Win User

desktop icons move constantly

My desktop icons have begun to change around all the time and the taskbar gets thicker and thicker.

Anyone else having this problem?

How do i tell when Microsoft last updated my OS?

Windows 10

:)

iamjim, Jul 6, 2018
  2. Peter1986C Win User

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jul 6, 2018
  3. Divya Murugan Win User
    Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jul 6, 2018
  4. Rakesh Narayanaswamy Win User

Desktop Icons

Hello Glenda,

Share this information to assist you better.

• Is the issue particular to the Comcast?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates?
    • Did you try changing icons of other shortcuts?
    Follow the steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Press Windows+I to open Settings panel, and click
    Personalization to access Personalization settings.

Step 2: Tap Change desktop icons on the top left in the Personalization window.

Step 3: In the Desktop Icon Settings window, select the icon of
    This PC and click Change Icon.

Step 4: Choose a new icon from the list, and tap OK.

Step 5: Click OK to confirm the change.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jul 6, 2018
Thema:

1. desktop icons move constantly - Similar Threads - desktop icons move

2. moving icons on desktop - windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    moving icons on desktop - windows 10: When I press on an icon to move it to a folder on desk top, immediately the file (of icon) is opened, and I am unable to move it in to the folder. Same problem if I want to shift the icon to another place. I tried to press hard on the icon for shifting, but I end up only...
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Move

Desktop Icons Won't Move: I can't move my desktop icons. Auto-arrange icons is off Align icons to grid is off When I click on the icon; nothing happens. There is no error message It was working properly earlier today I can open folders; I can open files on the desktop and with folders on...
  4. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Desktop icons moving to monitor 2: Is there a known solution for this problem? (Icons moved to the 2nd display after some windows update nearly a year ago - still haven't seen any real fix:-(...)...
  5. Can't move desktop icons off-screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move desktop icons off-screen: Before this latest update, I used to use all 4 sides of my screen. I used to keep half of each desktop icon out of screen. Now when I try to move an icon a little bit out of screen Windows just won't let me. How do I fix this? I tried changing the regedit entry...
  6. Desktop Icons move during the night?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons move during the night?: Hi, I have read quite a few similar related threads, but come up with no answer yet. For the last 6 nights my desktop icons move at some point during the night. They are fine all day, but when I come back in the morning they have moved, as if the screen resolution had...
  7. Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?: Is there a way to make W10 move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop? I could do this in W8.1 although I was using Start8. This has become a minor issue with W10 since when I install an update to a program (reinstall a newer version) the "old" Icon in the Taskbar...
  8. Icons on Desktop move when saved

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on Desktop move when saved: Hi This might seem like a trivial problem compared to some of the others on this site, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix my icon problem. I have icons for certain files - word and excel, that I arrange in convenient places on the desktop. If I edit these then...
  9. moving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    moving desktop icons: Ever since the latest update my desktop icons are difficult to keep in place. I do not have auto arrange or align to grid checked. When I move icons where I want them they often snap to another position at random. I have all my desktop icons positioned around the perimeter of...
  10. Icons on desktop keep moving around

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on desktop keep moving around: Have tried researching this annoying problem and found several long threads from 2015 with various confusing answers involving several registry changes. Has this common problem been definitively solved yet and if so can someone please post the solution here 55644