Windows 10: Desktop Icons move during the night?

Discus and support Desktop Icons move during the night? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have read quite a few similar related threads, but come up with no answer yet. For the last 6 nights my desktop icons move at some point... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Booms, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Booms Win User

Desktop Icons move during the night?

Hi,
    I have read quite a few similar related threads, but come up with no answer yet.
    For the last 6 nights my desktop icons move at some point during the night. They are fine all day, but when I come back in the morning they have moved, as if the screen resolution had altered and then gone back to it's normal setting, but leaving the icons in the altered setting. My PC is left on all night.
    I have tried ticking/unticking align options. I have deleted the Icon Cache. I have checked for updates.
    It is only a small problem, but it is quite annoying.
    Has anyone got any suggestions, please?
    I have attached Before & After screen captures.
    Many thanks.

:)

Booms, Oct 29, 2016
  2. jobabarry Win User

Desktop icons moving

desktop icons moving

jobabarry, Oct 29, 2016
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Desktop Icons moving

MS does not want us to store icons on the desktop anymore. There is no native feature to keep icons in place if the screen resolution changes. That can happen with some older video cards and if you have more than a single monitor setup.

Back in Win 8 I used Stardock fences while it was in beta test. I really liked it.

Right now I am using ICU. It is adequate for simple setups. It only captures the main screen of my dual screen setup. But it does with with my 4K monitor.

Today I tried Desktop OK. Didn't work for me, at all.

Rohn007, Oct 29, 2016
  4. kimkl Win User

Do you have a Nvidia Based Graphics Card by any chance?

kimkl, Oct 29, 2016
  5. AddRAM Win User
    Just asking politely, but why do you have the "This PC" icon way up there when you could have it pinned right next to the start window on the taskbar ?

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  6. Booms Win User
    No particular reason, it's always been there, and I have just left it there.

Booms, Oct 29, 2016
  7. AddRAM Win User
    No clue why your icons are moving, I`ve only seen that happen when you connect then disconnect a 2nd monitor, and it should have nothing to do with the 970, my icons stay put on 7 with my 980Ti`s

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  8. kimkl Win User

Maybe he likes looking at it, i have mine in the same location, old habit from XP *Biggrin
    Well back to your question, i have the same problem with my Nvidia, it will do the same when ever i update My Graphics Drivers,
    And i have noticed sometimes my Icons and taskbar will "reset" as if i had change Resolution, or updated anything, is annoying
    I think its the definition updates for defender, which i am really tired of after each reboot i get notification Windows Defender needs to scan your computer, i know you can untick the defender in security, but i rather had MS fix the damn Defender wanting to scan after each reboot.
    I prob reboot 25 times or more each day (Don't ask why i Reboot so often) *Biggrin but your not the only one with icons moving around each day.

kimkl, Oct 29, 2016
  9. AddRAM Win User
    I agree, I hate that Defender does that and you can`t change the scan settings, but I installed Webroot and it turns Defender off *Smile

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  10. kimkl Win User
    Thank you for that little tip you earned a STAR, just what i had been looking for thx Ram
    wtb potential Websites with C..... wont use bad words do you still get warnings,
    If not well then you could just have unticked 2 boxes in security and maintenance

kimkl, Oct 29, 2016
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Just my opinion, but with all the room on the taskbar and all the icons you can pin on the start menu, I see no reason for any icons on the desktop, but to each his own *Smile

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  12. kimkl Win User
    yea real sloppy (1 sec need to polish my Halo) i used to have my icons in the left side and top like a triangle missing bottom side now well *Biggrin

kimkl, Oct 29, 2016
  13. kimkl Win User

kimkl, Oct 29, 2016
  14. kimkl Win User
    Go to:
    Settings/ Personalization/Themes. Under related settings select “Desktop Icon settings” Uncheck “Allow Themes to change desktop icons”
    see if that fixes it

kimkl, Oct 29, 2016
  15. Booms Win User
    Bit strange it only happens during the night, and for the last 6 nights in a row.
    Maybe I just have a ghost...after all, it is Halloween.
    And, by the way, AddRAM...Cowboys are better, lol.
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Booms, Oct 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Desktop Icons move during the night? - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons move

2. awake during the night

in Windows 10 Gaming
    awake during the night: Hi my laptop temperature is decently hot going into hardcore gaming like warzone goes to low 80 but I do believe the cause of this is because my CPU is on during the night, as when I look at task manager it say above 1 day then it shuts down at night, does anybody know how to...
  3. awake during the night

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    awake during the night: Hi my laptop temperature is decently hot going into hardcore gaming like warzone goes to low 80 but I do believe the cause of this is because my CPU is on during the night, as when I look at task manager it say above 1 day then it shuts down at night, does anybody know how to...
  4. Icons moving on desktop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons moving on desktop.: Hello, few days ago I started having problems with icons on Desktop. They are moving to secondary monitor when i turn monitors into extended mode, half stay on main monitor and second half is going to other monitor. When I switch to one monitor only they get back to thier...
  5. Desktop Icons Moving

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons Moving: Every time I restart my computer, half of my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I cannot figure out why. I've googled solutions which don't work. Both of my monitors are set to their recommended resolutions, auto arrange icons is off, and align icons to grid is on....
  6. Desktop Icons Moving

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Moving: I have files and shortcuts that run down the left side and across the top of my screen that I keep for easy access. Whenever I save a new file to the desktop it goes to the upper left corner and moves things. I've done the usual uncheck auto arrange and align to grid checks,...
  7. Moving icons to desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving icons to desktop: I have been trying to move an icon from my start menu to my desktop for the last hour. I have tried every method offered to me. The problem seems that the icon itself does not have any way for me to move it to the desktop. I have tried to use right hand button, etc, I...
  8. Desktop Icons Won't Move

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Won't Move: I can't move my desktop icons. Auto-arrange icons is off Align icons to grid is off When I click on the icon; nothing happens. There is no error message It was working properly earlier today I can open folders; I can open files on the desktop and with folders on...
  9. moving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    moving desktop icons: Ever since the latest update my desktop icons are difficult to keep in place. I do not have auto arrange or align to grid checked. When I move icons where I want them they often snap to another position at random. I have all my desktop icons positioned around the perimeter of...
  10. Desktop Icons move during sleep. Please help.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons move during sleep. Please help.: I have been searching the internet for a solution to this problem for over a month now and none of the solutions I have found have worked. I have two benq 27" ips panels connected using displayport 1.2. Sleep is disabled for the computer however the monitors turn off after...