Windows 10: Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Discus and support Desktop icons moving to monitor 2 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a known solution for this problem? (Icons moved to the 2nd display after some windows update nearly a year ago - still haven't seen any real... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DaliusMA, Jul 13, 2018.

1. DaliusMA Win User

Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Is there a known solution for this problem?

(Icons moved to the 2nd display after some windows update nearly a year ago - still haven't seen any real fix:-(...)

:)

DaliusMA, Jul 13, 2018

2. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid I already had the desktop set up with "Auto arrange icons" unchecked and "Align icons to grid" checked; I have had it set like that for months.

To expand on the issue, the desktop windows I leave open also rearrange themselves into an area that represents a smaller desktop than that which is configured. Again, this is possibly because when waking up, the smaller monitor 2 desktop seems to come
    alive first so all the windows appear there before being moved back when monitor 1 wakes up, at which point all windows (even the monitor 2 ones) are moved onto monitor 1. I've never worried too much about the windows because I have a third-party program
    that will move them all back, but not the icons, sadly.

Regards,

Jim.

Jim_FitzSimmons, Jul 13, 2018
  3. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

I have two monitors on my Windows 10 PC - monitor 1 (on the right) is a 32" set to 1920x1080 resolution and a monitor 2 (on the left) is a 17" set to 1280x1024 resolution. I have extended the desktop over both monitors with the right-hand one (monitor 1)
    being the main monitor that has the desktop icons on it, stacked vertically along the left-hand edge of the desktop. This all works beautifully except that after waking my PC from sleep mode, my icons always move to part-way across monitor 2 (about 2 thirds
    from the left) and I have to move them back manually.

I've tried every sort of configuration I can think of to prevent this but nothing works. This aggravates me in the extreme as I always have windows open covering every inch of my extended desktop apart from the bit where the icons normally reside so I have
    to keep minimising things so I can move them back, otherwise I can't get to them in a hurry (if a customer calls with an emergency).

I'm thinking that maybe on waking, the PC sees monitor 2 before monitor 1 and gets confused as to which is the primary monitor but if that really were the case, I'd expect the icons to be positioned on the left of monitor 2, not just hanging around in the
    middle somewhere.

Has anybody else seen this and perhaps solved it?

Jim_FitzSimmons, Jul 13, 2018
  4. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Desktop icons moved to monitor 2 from monitor 1

After a recent update, my desktop icons moved to monitor 2 from monitor 1. I have tried everything I can think of in display settings, but do not know how to get the icons to move back to monitor 1. Can you please help me. Thank you.

AnnieCares, Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

1. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2 - Similar Threads - Desktop icons moving

2. Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?: Hello! My issue is relatively straight forward. When restarting my computer, logging out of my profile, or anything that affects whether the monitor is on or off. The icons I have set will randomly move over to my second monitor. Here's some things I have tried:-Turning off...
  3. Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?: Hello! My issue is relatively straight forward. When restarting my computer, logging out of my profile, or anything that affects whether the monitor is on or off. The icons I have set will randomly move over to my second monitor. Here's some things I have tried:-Turning off...
  4. Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. desktop icons move to second monitor

desktop icons move to second monitor: Having used a small monitor as a second display for years, I bought a new larger one. Now, every time I try to use 'extend' display all the carefully arranged desktop icons move to totally irrational places on the second screen. It is clear this bug has been around for...
  6. desktop icons move on the 2 screens?

desktop icons move on the 2 screens?: Is there a way to fix the icons on the desktop of Windows 10 or something like that desktop icons verschieben sich auf den 2 bildschirme?
  7. Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor

Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor: Two monitors connected to Dell XPS 15 through a thunderbolt dock. This set up worked perfectly for two years until I installed the recent zoom update. I tried uninstalling zoom and the issue persists. I installed the win 10 2004 update and still have the issue. The strangest...
  8. Desktop Icons stuck on monitor 2

Desktop Icons stuck on monitor 2: I had a problem where the icons on my desktop were stuck on monitor 2 and eventually I worked out why and how to solve it. I have two monitors. one being my laptop screen and the other a larger separate screen, both running on different resolutions. I was playing around,...
  9. Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?: I have a HDMI switcher on my main monitor. When I'm not displaying my PC on it, everything switches to my second monitor which is smaller so the desktop icons are all funky. If I move them around when they're on the second monitor, will they be moved when they go back to the...
  10. Win 10 desktop icons in 2 different monitors

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 desktop icons in 2 different monitors: Bug 10 is bug 10 Tell me why there are 3 icons on the left monitor? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-desktop-icons-in-2-different-monitors/f5de5a46-2938-4744-b3fd-6d1e6c3f0b38"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop icons moved to second monitor

2. 2 monitors shortcut icons move when i log off

3. windows 10 moving icons to monitor 2

4. How to move desktop icons to monitor 2