Windows 10: Desktop icons not showing

Discus and support Desktop icons not showing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] As you can see from the above desktop icons are not showing. This happened after resizing desktop icons and then rebooting. I do not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jaburmester, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Desktop icons not showing

Desktop icons not showing [​IMG]

As you can see from the above desktop icons are not showing.

This happened after resizing desktop icons and then rebooting.

I do not know what to do to solve problem.

Please can anyone advise.

Thank you.

:)

jaburmester, Nov 17, 2015
  2. Marigoldy Win User

Can't hide Shortcut from my desktop

I'm using windows 10 pro 10240, I can hide my shortcut with right click on my desktop -> view -> uncheck show desktop icon but the problem is everytime I restart or turn on my pc there is no check mark in "show desktop icon" but all my desktop icon shows
    up like "show desktop icon" option was check marked. please help, thank you

Marigoldy, Nov 17, 2015
  3. SarahKong Win User
    How to recover desktop shortcuts removed by Windows 10 Update?

If it is just the windows default desktop icons then right click your desktop and select view - 'show desktop icons' and check that it is showing a checkmark.

if not click so it does show a checkmark.

SarahKong, Nov 17, 2015
  4. Desktop icons not showing

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve the above?

Thank you for all help given.

jaburmester, Nov 17, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
  6. Hi all,

Have tried Icon Cache - Rebuild in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums with no luck.

Does anyone have any other suggestion as this seems a very serious problem that has occurred.

Thank you.

jaburmester, Nov 18, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    Do a system restore. Pick a date BEFORE you resized desktop icons as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, Nov 18, 2015
  8. Desktop icons not showing

Systems restore did not work with the above error.

Any other ideas?

9. davidhk Win User
    I have not encountered an anti-virus program that would prevent system restore from running.
    However, since you get that message, have you tried to disable whatever anti-virus program you have and run system restore again ?

davidhk, Nov 18, 2015
  10. Hi all,

Have tried Icon Cache - Rebuild in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums with no luck.

Does anyone have any other suggestion as this seems a very serious problem that has occurred.

Thank you.

11. Desktop icons not showing [​IMG]

Hi all,

Please disregard last post.

I have disabled antivirus program and still get above problem.

But this is not as serious as problem with icons indicated by my first post.

Thank you.

12. Hi all,

So everyone knows I tried sfc /scannow and got result Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Thanks for all help.

13. Desktop icons not showing

I have never seen that in Windows. What I have seen, is through other programs. Have you ever previously used or currently use 3rd party programs that alter the way windows looks or works, including customizations, start menu editors, etc?

DustSailor, Nov 18, 2015
  14. DustSailor,

No I have not used third party programs that alter the way windows looks.

Also please note I did not have this problem before I installed update 1511.

This is one of many problems caused by update 1511 but the majority other problems I have managed to solve until this current problem occured.

Thank you for all help given.

15. lx07 Win User
    A couple of questions,

Do the shortcuts work? Do they open whatever they are supposed to and just not show the icon or do they not work at all?

If you make another shortcut on the desktop does that work? If you make a shortcut somewhere else (in Documents folder for example) does that?

Can you right click on one of them and post the properties (all the tabs - General, Shortcut, Security etc).

Thema:

Desktop icons not showing

1. Desktop icons not showing - Similar Threads - Desktop icons showing

2. Some icons not showing on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some icons not showing on desktop: When I use Snipping Tool to take a partial screen shot, I like to save the file on to the desktop because I'm using them temporarily. After saving, there's no icon for it on the desktop. If I use File Explorer to view the desktop folder, the file is there, but still no icon...
  3. Desktop icons and windows not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons and windows not showing: Just got this new pc and set up pretty much everything. Turned it on today but every desktop icons are gone and the taskbar is also not working. Opened some program, it can be seen that it is actually opened on the taskbar but it doesn't show the window on the desktop. Tried...
  4. Desktop icons not showing up.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Desktop icons not showing up.: When I go to my desktop, all of the icons are gone and that white-ish box on the top left of the screen is then there, I don't know what it could be. Has anybody had this before/knows how to fix it?...
  5. Desktop Icons Not Showing Up

Desktop Icons Not Showing Up: Hey everyone, so this morning I turned on my PC and everything worked fine its just that none of the icons on either the desktop, taskbar or any folder icons show up. Its only the names that show up, I tried some methods on YouTube by deleting some icon cache and restarting...
  6. Desktop Icons not showing

Desktop Icons not showing: Hello I have an issue with desktop icons not appearing in the Desktop FOLDER The icons appear if I look at the Desktop directly. If you look at screenshot, TeamViewer shortcut, The Outer Worlds shortcut and Steam shortcut do not appear in the Desktop folder. [ATTACH]...
  7. Icons not showing but text showing on desktop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icons not showing but text showing on desktop.: Hi! This is my first time on here and i need help so ill get straight to the point. So a few minutes ago as im writing this, i restarted my computer because my taskbar wasnt showing. So it turned back on, the taskbar was showing, but my icons were not but the text or title...
  8. Desktop showing XL icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop showing XL icons: When turn on PC today ,desktop icons were XL.right click and check mark small icons,nothing change.Restart PC and red screen with wavy lines come on and load large icons . Open System restore and choose Nov.17 point of restoring. Now it’s over 3 hours and still is restoring...
  9. Show Desktop icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Show Desktop icon: I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro and find that the 'Show Desktop' rectangular space at the far right side of the notification area is missing although posted desktop images Windows 10 have the same rectangular space. However, if I hover the cursor over the screen border in that...
  10. Icons not showing up on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons not showing up on desktop: Hello all, I've run into a problem on my laptop where icons are not showing up on the desktop. If I go to Personalization and add icons for My Computer, Recycle Bin, or whatever, they don't show up. Copy-pasting a file to the desktop, it doesn't show up. However, I can see...