Windows 10: Desktop Icons won't stay put...

Discus and support Desktop Icons won't stay put... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Good day, everyone. I'm having a very unique issue, at least, to me, with my Windows 10 machine. I have Win 10 Pro and my desktop will flash for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by wolverine79936, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Desktop Icons won't stay put...

Good day, everyone. I'm having a very unique issue, at least, to me, with my Windows 10 machine. I have Win 10 Pro and my desktop will flash for a split second and all my icons will have moved to wherever they wish to be. I spend more time re-organizing my desktop than I do actually using the computer all of a sudden.

I would love to give you some information about my computer, but the control panel won't open. I just spent three minutes waiting for that thing to open and all I did was stare at a solid blue window with a giant white gear in the middle. No control panel ever came up. *Sad

Oh well. Win 10, no new updates recently since the creator's update (which was utterly useless for me), AMD 8-core CPU, 16 GB of RAM. Let's see, AMD R9 200 series video card, the drivers are all up to date. I do that manually since Win 10 doesn't give me the correct drivers for my system, which is custom black box, I just can't remember what all I put in it. Sorry.

Anyway, hopefully someone can give me some help with this desktop issue. I tried on Microsoft's ask the community and no one ever responded to my plea for help. My desktop is also set to align to grid and show desktop icons. Why they would allow you to hide your desktop icons like that is beyond me. Anyway, the autoarrange is off so as far as I can tell, there is no reason for this issue to be happening, unless Win 10 is bugged yet again. *Sad

:)

wolverine79936, Jun 23, 2017

2. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jun 23, 2017
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Nope, no help. All this did was move all the icons that I had on the right side to the left. It also arranges them in some machine-specified order, not the way I place them. It also did not address the issue of my application windows being resized
    every time they are closed or minimized.

LaurieWagnerFR, Jun 23, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Desktop Icons won't stay put...

First off, it's been my belief that Microsoft has been striving for a "clean desktop", very few or no icons on it. Secondly, the desktop is Dynamic, not Static like a picture on the wall. It is constantly being refreshed/redrawn while Windows is running, a number of things can affect it such as programs that have loaded into RAM or that are running in the background.

Berton, Jun 23, 2017
  5. So basically, there isn't a whole lot I can do about it except, maybe... Format the hard drive, make a daily back up and then as soon as I notice the icons moving around, remove the last installed program or go back to the backup from the day before...?

6. Hydrate Win User
    Have you used any graphical or interface customizations with Windows 10?

Have you added any new software recently, and how long has this issue been occurring for?

More importantly, what changes have you made till this started occurring if you can recall anything?

If we do System Restore, we lose the learning curve and process in figuring out the problem.

Hydrate, Jun 23, 2017
  7. No to customizations. No new software recently and the issue has been occurring for since the Creators Update. And I can't recall any changes. It's a work computer in question and I'm the IT guy that can't figure out what is going on. LOL.

Alright. That's another issue we've been having. We upgraded the computer in question to Win 10 from Win 8.1 and the system restore was enabled, but when we go to do a system restore, 10 turns around and says that there are no restore points. *Sad

8. Hydrate Win User

Will you please try this:

Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] Run As Administrator > cmd.exe

Let me know what SFC pipes output please.

This seems like 2 completely unrelated issues, and the system's components are nonfunctional.

Also, please check that the VSS is operational.

Go to services.msc and search for Volume Shadow Copy and see if it's disabled. Change it to manual if it is, and try creating a restore point via Control Panel > search, Create a restore point.

Hydrate, Jun 23, 2017
  9. Volume Shadow Copy was not running on any of our computers. Personal Computerss included. So, I manually started it for now. I'll work on automating VSS shortly. It's going to be a little while before I can run sfc on the computer in question. Sorry for the delay. *Smile

10. Hydrate Win User
    My fault. I didn't explain that VSS needs to be set to manual, not actively running, and we should test for creation of system restore points and their ability to be used and restore the system successfully - which you explain you have issues with. Is the issue with successful restore points that work? Or creating them?

Also, this sounds like a problem with the IconCache.db for this specific machine which may need to be reset appropriately and I will provide instructions for this as soon as we attempt a system file checker scan.

I will be posted!

Hydrate, Jun 23, 2017
  11. OldMike65 Win User
  12. Hydrate Win User
  13. dacrone Win User

If you want a faster/easier solution, look into iconoid. Freeware and lightweight. Its how I fixed mine when I was using a larger monitor. If you set it to anything over 100% on zoom, they do that. If they are doing that on 100%, and you don't want to keep fighting it, just use that app.

dacrone, Jun 24, 2017
  14. SonicBlue Win User
    I use a pay for app called DeskTop Toy, you can arrange your desk Icons then save the config and even save multiple configs. It gives you the choice to align to Top or Bottom or either side even.

SonicBlue, Jul 1, 2017
  15. Hydrate Win User
    I am curious as to how these apps will serve to correct the problem, or potentially add to it.

Hydrate, Jul 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Desktop Icons won't stay put... - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons won't

2. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my desktop icons stay in place: It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?...
  3. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why won't my desktop icons stay in place: It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?...
  4. Desktop Icons won't stay in same place

Desktop Icons won't stay in same place: I have to constantly rearrange my desktop icons to there original places, is there a setting to stop this???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-wont-stay-in-same-place/6f98e6b2-53f2-456e-889f-5446bfda110e
  5. Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay put

Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay put: How do I get my desktop icons to stay put in Windows 10. Yes, I have already tried the usual fixes for this issue so please don't suggest to "Refresh", etc. I am on my third surface book, my other two did not have this issue. Thanks for any help you can give....
  6. Recycle Bin Icon won't stay put on desktop.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle Bin Icon won't stay put on desktop.: Hi everyone - I deal with complex issues, but this is ridiculous! W10 Pro... Have Auto Arrange Icons and Align Icons To Grid checked in View. I like my Recycle Bin in the lower left hand corner of the screen. However, it moves up four places on the left every time I log...
  7. EDGE won't stay put..

in Browsers and Email
    EDGE won't stay put..: A new anomaly with Edge. I use a 24 inch monitor and most time have two browsers open. I drag the edges of both so that I have them side by side (as in pic 1). I close them and then open them again later and Edge is in a different place (as in pic 2). Firefox always remembers...
  8. windows won't stay put

in Windows 10 Support
    windows won't stay put: I guess I'm a little OCD but I like to center the windows, like control panel, personalization my pc etc. Everytime I get them perfectly centered on the desktop when I close the windows and reopen them, they're not centered. In W7 or W8.1 they stay locked in position. Is...
  9. desktop icons won't stay in place

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons won't stay in place: It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them. In addition, after my computer boots up and everything is loaded, desktop icons do not appear on their own. I have to right click/view/show desktop icons....
  10. Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them: I like to position all my desktop icons in a custom order, but since I took my PC into the Geeks to remove a suspected virus, my desktop icons keep returning to default positions upon restart or refresh. I've experimented with unchecking grid and align options, and even...