Windows 10: Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them

Discus and support Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I like to position all my desktop icons in a custom order, but since I took my PC into the Geeks to remove a suspected virus, my desktop icons keep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rcfs, Nov 14, 2015.

1. rcfs Win User

Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them

I like to position all my desktop icons in a custom order, but since I took my PC into the Geeks to remove a suspected virus, my desktop icons keep returning to default positions upon restart or refresh. I've experimented with unchecking grid and align options, and even followed instructions found online that instructed me how to modify the registry, yet no success. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

:)

2. Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay where I put them!

I understand where you are coming from.

I use a Surface Pro 4 and when I get to work I dock it to 3 external monitors but whenever I undock to work from another office or site then my desktop icons are all screwed up.

I would like to find out if anyone out there has a solution or an idea when this may be fixed?

I have all updated and firmware installed but this is just getting annoying.

Smithtopher, Nov 14, 2015
  3. B_987 Win User
    Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay where I put them!

Every time I shut down my new Dell laptop with Win 10 the desktop icons return to the same mixed up positions. I like to put the icons in topical groups, like word/text editors, programming tools, CAD programs, etc. All previous versions of Windows allowed
    one to drag desktop icons to a location and they would stay there, why not Win 10?

B_987, Nov 14, 2015
  4. gudguy1a Win User

Unchecking the align to grid box is only a partial solution for Win 10 (or other versions).

The fix is at this link to stop the Desktop Themes from changing the icon locations -
    www.winhelponline.com/blog/prevent-themes-from-changing-desktop-icons-in-windows-7/

If link not working, that content:
    a) Right-click on the Desktop and choose Personalize
    b) click on Themes
    c) click on Desktop icon settings
    d) in this next box, "uncheck the box" for "Allow themes to change desktop icons"
    e) click "apply" OR "ok" and you're done

What microsoft has done, is make the themes take control of the icons automatically from the beginning.
    INSTEAD, WE should have been given the choice whether to allow the themes to take control of the icons.

I say that because many people are not aware of where to even begin to solve this problem and t becomes FRACKIN' IRRITATING & ANNOYING in finding the solution (look at all the folks just on this site alone).

gudguy1a, Dec 31, 2015
  5. rcfs Win User
    After all my trips to the Geeks and their claiming it was my video drivers, YOU solved it for me. Thanks!

6. gudguy1a Win User
    Good deal, glad it worked for you.

Unfortunately, it is not working for me.
    I discovered that when I close my lid and re-open, the icons shift on me.
    And I have full admin rights to my desktop...
    This is even with that themes box unchecked and even when I set the power options for closing the lid to "do nothing" - the icons still flip back.

Even after logging off and restarting, the settings are not saving for me.
    So, more research for me on this for my own PC.

gudguy1a, Dec 31, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    There is a bug where the icons are reset if your desktop scaling isn't 100% (you can right click on desktop, select "display settings" and have a look).

There isn't a fix as far as I know at the moment - they will reset to default (i.e. jump to the top left).

lx07, Jan 1, 2016
  8. gudguy1a Win User

VERY GOOD CATCH lx07!!!! Thx

Very good - I have been in computers a long time doing various things but I did not think that was causing the problem.
    I did try it and smack me silly if the icons stayed in place when I did my close lid routine. Dang!!!!

That is a definite bug and something micro$oft should have caught on their own. It should not matter what the display scaling is set at, the icons should still resolve and stay in place

Da_n - as I sit here scratching my head at how this got past the QA folks at micro$oft.

gudguy1a, Jan 1, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    I have desktop scaling set at 125% and the icons only shift if I switch between user accounts. It's fine if you log off an account before logging in to another one. This appears to be yet another obvious bug which Microsoft should fix. How did it ever pass software QA testing?

Steve C, Jan 1, 2016
  10. meatwork Win User
    Did MS ever sort this out? I am having the same problems when my laptop is connected to a port replicator for use with a projector but can't find anything under display settings.

I can position the icons on the desktop wherever I want but but as soon as I connect to a port replicator and the screen changes to Duplicate mode, the icons lose their place and revert to "left" positioning. They do NOT revert back when the laptop is unhooked from the port replicator.

meatwork, Apr 27, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Nice to know that scaling at 100% does the trick.

Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 27, 2016
  12. Steve C Win User
    I just updated my desktop PC from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I use 125% display scaling and I'm very disappointed to find this bug remains. When I use Switch User to move between accounts, all the icons align to the left of the screen when I log back in to the original account. The icons are fine if I log out of an account before going to another account. Moving between accounts using Switch User worked fine in Windows 8.1 so why is this obvious bug still present in Windows 10 after nearly a year since release?

Steve C, Jun 11, 2016
  13. djbillyd Win User

WE were the real QA! And they did everything EXCEPT listen to us! I have been testing since Vista Black (which, I think, became Vista Ultimate), and have made numerous suggestions based on my observations, and the only thing I have seen is that NOTHING I said was important. The customer "Thank you for your feedback" BS, and they moved on!

djbillyd, Jul 25, 2017
  14. stans Win User
    I just updated to the Win 10 Creators Update (1703). Now when if move one of the icons on the bottom row, or move icon anywhere on the desktop, others on the bottom row move over to the right (I have four or five columns of icons on the left). This was not a problem before I updated. I think if I don't keep any icons on that bottom row nothing moves on it's own.

Desktop scaling is at 100%, and unticking "Allow themes to change desktop icons" on Desktop icon settings also makes no difference.

Any other ideas or solutions?

stans, Sep 4, 2017
  15. x509 Win User
    I use a projector a lot in my job, and I have this problem most of the time that I plug my laptop into a projector.

Thema:

1. Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons won't

2. Quick Access folders won't stay where I put them they jump upward to random location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access folders won't stay where I put them they jump upward to random location: In Windows 10 Explorer, I use folders placed in the Quick Access area to organize my work, including creating empty folders with all-caps names and dashes as my topic dividers. Within the past ~6 months, however, when I drag and release a folder into Quick Access, it jumps...
  3. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons not staying where I want them: Hi there - I have just switched from a desktop to a laptop, and I have a number of icons on my main screen. However, I like these icons to be grouped in a particular way - for example, all Word icons to be together, all Excel icons together, a Citrix icon on the top right of...
  4. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons not staying where I want them: Hi there - I have just switched from a desktop to a laptop, and I have a number of icons on my main screen. However, I like these icons to be grouped in a particular way - for example, all Word icons to be together, all Excel icons together, a Citrix icon on the top right of...
  5. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay put

Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay put: How do I get my desktop icons to stay put in Windows 10. Yes, I have already tried the usual fixes for this issue so please don't suggest to "Refresh", etc. I am on my third surface book, my other two did not have this issue. Thanks for any help you can give....
  7. Recycle Bin Icon won't stay put on desktop.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle Bin Icon won't stay put on desktop.: Hi everyone - I deal with complex issues, but this is ridiculous! W10 Pro... Have Auto Arrange Icons and Align Icons To Grid checked in View. I like my Recycle Bin in the lower left hand corner of the screen. However, it moves up four places on the left every time I log...
  8. Desktop Icons won't stay put...

Desktop Icons won't stay put...: Good day, everyone. I'm having a very unique issue, at least, to me, with my Windows 10 machine. I have Win 10 Pro and my desktop will flash for a split second and all my icons will have moved to wherever they wish to be. I spend more time re-organizing my desktop than I do...
  9. Windows 10 won't leave desktop items where I put them

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 won't leave desktop items where I put them: I want some icons and Word documents on the right side of my desktop, yet Windows 10 keeps moving them and it's really frustrating. I want them where I want them. I was told to make one change in the registry, ( I can't remember now exactly what it was) , but that didn't...
  10. Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.: This started after I did a refresh installation. While many of the icons remain where they are, some of them refuse to stay put when I move them. They spring to another position. What might be causing this bizarre behaviour? 95380