Windows 10: Desktop Icons

Discus and support Desktop Icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This may seem a small issue for some; but, (and more often lately) my desktop icons keep switching around. I'm very particular about their location... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RLAR, Jan 19, 2018.

1. RLAR Win User

Desktop Icons

This may seem a small issue for some; but, (and more often lately) my desktop icons keep switching around. I'm very particular about their location because of how I use them. Is there a way to prevent them from moving about without specifically adjusting location manually? And it's not after rebooting or any of that. It's just arbitrary. Maybe I inadvertently select one and it gets moved by my unintended motion, but I don't know that.

:)

2. copying to disc

In Windows 10 the My Computer icon is called “This PC”.

If this icon is missing in your computer -

Right-click on the desktop and choose Personalize, then click on “Change Desktop Icons” on the left-hand side of the screen

In the Desktop Icons panel you can choose which of the built-in icons to show on the desktop: > Check Computer

E for Excel, Jan 19, 2018
  3. Cicero564 Win User
    Windows 10 Desktop Icons Re-Arrange - Possible way to restore.

My desktop icons have, intermittently, re-arranged to the left of the screen, more than a few times, very annoying.

Try these steps:

Right click on an empty part of the desktop.

Select View.

Ensure both Auto Arrange Icons & Align Icons to Grid are unchecked.

Uncheck Show desktop icons. (Desktop icons should disappear)

Re-Check Show desktop icons

In my case, the desktop icons re-appeared and in their prior locations.

Good luck.

Cicero564, Jan 19, 2018
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Desktop Icons

Right click on the desktop and mouse over View uncheck Align to grid, they should stay where you put them... *Cool

dmholt57, Jan 19, 2018
  5. RLAR Win User
    Omgosh. That's so simple. Am amazed by how much I don't know.
    Thnx dmholt

6. dmholt57 Win User
    You are welcome, we all come to learn... *Nerd

dmholt57, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Icons

1. Desktop Icons - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons

2. The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.: The icon on my laptop and browser keep refreshing without me issuing any command. Should i do to resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icon-on-my-desktop-and-browse-keep-refreshing/a5dc16cb-2314-443a-9b27-e95bdb8c1755
  3. The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.: The icon on my laptop and browser keep refreshing without me issuing any command. Should i do to resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icon-on-my-desktop-and-browse-keep-refreshing/a5dc16cb-2314-443a-9b27-e95bdb8c1755
  4. The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can't create desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create desktop icons: I have an enterprise-managed laptop which had a disk crash, and IT installed a fresh enterprise image of Windows 10 . The laptop shows desktop icons when connected to the enterprise network. I want to be able to have full use this laptop when not connected to the work...
  6. Can't create desktop icons

Can't create desktop icons: I have an enterprise-managed laptop which had a disk crash, and IT installed a fresh enterprise image of Windows 10 . The laptop shows desktop icons when connected to the enterprise network. I want to be able to have full use this laptop when not connected to the work...
  7. Can't create desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode: When you enter Safe Mode with any variant on any Windows 11 build Assumingly build 22000 - 26100 - The widgets and "Learn about this picture" icons do not get set to hidden in Safe Mode despite them not being supported there due to multiple services being disabled there all...
  9. Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode

Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode: When you enter Safe Mode with any variant on any Windows 11 build Assumingly build 22000 - 26100 - The widgets and "Learn about this picture" icons do not get set to hidden in Safe Mode despite them not being supported there due to multiple services being disabled there all...
  10. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?: It is very annoying when I have taken the trouble to order my desktop icons to how I want them, when a Windows Update totally trashes my preference with a re-ordered desk top that defies logic . Is there anyway of stopping this or do I just have to accept that Microsoft knows...