Windows 10: desktop.ini folder

Discus and support desktop.ini folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; desktop.ini folder appears in windows 10 homescreen. what is that ? how to remove that? 72850 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by parth patel, Dec 18, 2016.

1. desktop.ini folder

desktop.ini folder appears in windows 10 homescreen. what is that ? how to remove that?

:)

parth patel, Dec 18, 2016

2. Identical Desktop.ini files deleted

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

The desktop.ini file is a hidden file used to store information about the arrangement of a Windows folder. Essentially, if the layout or settings for a folder are changed, a desktop.ini file is automatically
    generated to save those changes.

The Windows operating system automatically generates a desktop.ini file upon changes to a folder.

Windows will regenerate the Desktop.ini files for you if you redirect the folder to another location and then back to the original one.This automatic generation cannot be turned off, as it is a part of the operating system programming. Although you may delete
    any desktop.ini file, if a change is made to the folder's layout, it will be regenerated again automatically.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Dec 18, 2016
  3. Windows Explorer 10: Detail View: Custom Column: How to Modify Field

@Keith:

From ProcMon:

- - -

explorer.exe 6740 CreateFile C:\Users\Ramesh\Desktop\New folder\multipage_tiff_example.tif\desktop.ini
    PATH NOT FOUND

- - -

Looking for desktop.ini under that "tif" file/folder?

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 18, 2016
  4. fdegrove Win User

desktop.ini folder

Hi,

It's a file rather than a folder.
    Either it's attributes have been changed or Explorer is set to show hidden system files.

To change it back to default open Explorer, from the menu bar pick View, Options, View and drill down and check "Hide protected system files"

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 18, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    I've had that in the past. I had to set its attribute to hidden in properties and make sure that show hidden files was disabled.

swarfega, Dec 18, 2016
  6. tcebob Win User
    I prefer to show hidden files but the desktop.inis are intrusive. My fix is to hide them under desktop gadgets. Check out 8Gadgetpack 8GadgetPack - Gadgets for Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8. (I use a calendar, weather and Clipboarder.)

tcebob, Dec 19, 2016
  7. pepanee Win User
    That file shows up on the Desktop every time the computer installs updates. I always delete it because it seems to be useless to sit there on the Desktop. Nothing changes over here when I do that.

pepanee, Dec 19, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

desktop.ini folder

Hi,

That's not normal behaviour. It should not be visible on the desktop unless it's expressly set to show hidden system files.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 19, 2016
  9. EdTittel Win User
    In this context, it seems appropriate to observe that if you click "View hidden files and folders" on the View tab in the File Explorer Options control panel widget, it will cause ALL HIDDEN files to appear, including those on the desktop. Then, opening the desktop in File Explorer, clicking the View tab, and unchecking the "Hidden Items" box will cause those pesky desktop.ini files on the desktop to become invisible once again. I have to remember how to do this each time a new Insider Upgrade comes out (it picks up my default setting from File Explorer Options, but doesn't carry over my Desktop tweak thereupon), so I've gotten pretty good at this!
    *Devil
    --Ed--

desktop.ini folder [​IMG]

EdTittel, Dec 19, 2016
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,
    @EdTittel:

While desktop.ini is a hidden file it also is a system file. Therefore it should not become visible on the desktop by just checking the "Hidden" option in explorer's menu bar.
    Other than desktop.ini, no other file should become visible that way either. I actually have two desktop.ini files in that folder.

IOW, I don't quite follow what is going on over at yours. *Redface

Cheers, *Wink

Frank

fdegrove, Dec 20, 2016
  11. pepanee Win User
    These are my settings. I get to see everything stored on the computer. I recommend these two settings.

desktop.ini folder [​IMG]

pepanee, Dec 20, 2016
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, and if you do that, you need to make the change I showed in my previous screenshot to keep desktop.ini (or two copies as is apparently the case for both me and fdegrove, my virtual beer drinking buddy) from showing up on the desktop. That's exactly what I was talking about. Hope it now all makes sense.
    Thanks, and happy holidays.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 20, 2016
  13. fdegrove Win User

desktop.ini folder

Hi,

Not sure if I'd recommend that to anyone. I only use that temporarily for housekeeping reasons.
    So much crap accumulating in W10.... Sigh.
    @EdTittel : Sipping a Vicaris Tripel as we speak. Not bad at all. *Wink

Cheers folks, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 20, 2016
  14. EdTittel Win User
    You lucky dog, Frank. Cheers to you for good advice, freely given, and for the best of all possible holiday seasons. Take good care!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 20, 2016
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Thanks, Ed. Enjoy the x-mass holidays as well. You know I do. *Wink
    I'll be having some Saint-Feuillien (la blonde, bien entendu) later on tonight especially for you.

O, whilst I'm at it, to the user deleting these desktop.ini files. There's no point in doing so as Windows will rebuild them.

Cheers and happy holidays all,

Frank

fdegrove, Dec 20, 2016
Thema:

desktop.ini folder

1. desktop.ini folder - Similar Threads - desktop ini folder

2. Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Folder: hi,i have a suggestion if you ever have the time to implement the idea i think it will be a nice addition,the folders in the desktop,is there a possibility to make the folder look like transparent collections or like android folders to make my desktop look more lively...
  3. Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Folder: hi,i have a suggestion if you ever have the time to implement the idea i think it will be a nice addition,the folders in the desktop,is there a possibility to make the folder look like transparent collections or like android folders to make my desktop look more lively...
  4. desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder: Through transferring data from one computer to another, I've ended up with multiple desktop folders inside of the desktop folder inside of file explorer. Combining those folders seems to be a bit of a task and one drive seems complicate this issue. 171578
  5. Windows Defender and .ini files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender and .ini files: We ae using Windows 10 and Windows Defender antivirus. When our program saves information to an .ini file - it can take a very long time. It takes more than 4 times longer with Windows Defender than with other anti-virus programs ex AVG, Avast. If we exclude the .ini file...
  6. Desktop Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Folders: The feature allowing me to create new folders on the desktop has stopped working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-folders/a871e3bc-5e42-4dfc-96b8-27efbf2f02ff"
  7. Desktop INI and Autorun

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop INI and Autorun: So... I have multiple external hdds. I have autoruns on them to generate Labels and Icons. That is working properly. I have multiple sub folders on those hdds. I need 2 different types of Desktop INIs that I cannot seem to get working. **NOT Working** I need the parent on...
  8. Is There an Easy Way to Change .INI Files (which Display Folder Icons) in the Source...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is There an Easy Way to Change .INI Files (which Display Folder Icons) in the Source...: Hello, I have hundreds of folders containing the MP3s I own, and I’ve created a .INI in each folder in order to display an different icon on each folder of the artists music in that folder. Basically, if the folder contains music by the Cleon Valentine, I can use the...
  9. Modify INI files in Ark WInows store folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modify INI files in Ark WInows store folder.: I am trying to edit the Ini files for Ark survival evolved. I am trying to make the in game non-dedicated server player distance larger as it is currently prohibitively small . Unfortunately I don't have permissions to edit these files. (I am admin) and it is causing me...
  10. what is a .ini icon?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is a .ini icon?: I have these ghostly looking .ini icons on my screen, which are connected to other documents - what are they and can I get rid of them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/what-is-a-ini-icon/11adb71a-4cd6-4a41-b307-0788047abf35