Windows 10: Desktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10

Discus and support Desktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Problem - Desktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10. System Configuration: *-*-*HP Pavilion Elite AV976AV-ABA p6120t *-*-*Device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Yorguson15, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Desktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10

Problem - Desktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10.
    System Configuration:
    *-*-*HP Pavilion Elite AV976AV-ABA p6120t
    *-*-*Device Manager shows no optical drive installed (with and without disk inserted)
    *-*-*System Information APP indicates no optical drive (with and without disk inserted)
    *-*-*Files/Directory Explorer indicates no optical drive (with and without disk inserted)
    *-*-*Applications do not recognize the presence of an optical drive
    *-*-*Computer BIOS (Legacy)
    *-*-*-*-*-General Page indicates
    *-*-*-*-*-1st Drive: HP SSD V300A
    *-*-*-*-*-2nd Drive: HP DVD- RAM GH40 (Note: SATA Optical Disk)
    *-*-*-*-*-3rd Drive: None
    *-*-*-*-*-4th Drive: WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B
    *-*-*-*-*-Boot Priority Page
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*1 - CD/DVD Group
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*CH0 S HP DVD-RAM GH40L
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*2 - SSD/HDD Group
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*HP DVD- RAM GH40
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B
    When a bootable disk is present in HP DVD-RAM GH40L the BIOS successfully boots the computer to the inserted bootable disk.
    When no bootable disk is present in HP DVD-RAM GH40L Windows 10 boots the computer without recognizing the HP DVD-RAM GH40L SATA Internal Optical Drive (as indicated above).
    This same computer configuration worked normally with Windows 7. Windows 7 recognized the internal optical drive.
    How do I report this Window 10 deficiency directly to someone at Microsoft who has the authority to correct Windows 10 and alleviate the problem?

:)

Yorguson15, Sep 25, 2015
  2. jhorak101 Win User

Is Microsoft aware of the Internal Optical drive not registering, showing, in Windows version 10 with an ASUS Laptop R503U

This procedure did not correct the problem, the Optical Drive (DVD CD Internal Drive) is not recognized by the Windows 10 operating system.

jhorak101, Sep 25, 2015
  3. KW22614 Win User
    Windows DVD Player app doesn't work! WHY NOT???

I recently upgraded to WIN10 from 7PRO on my desktop pc.

I have the new Windows DVD Player app (free with 1st update) and Windows Media Player version 12.

Both programs launch but nothing happens when I put in a disc. Now
    no DVD or CD will play at all. It's like my computer no longer recognizes it's own internal burner/player. In Device Manager there is no listing for an optical drive at all now after upgrading to 10. What in the world is going on?

Even with a disc in my optical drive and checking File Explorer, nothing shows. It really seems as my computer doesn't recognize it's own optical drive. In 7PRO everything in the optical drive always showed as (DDesktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10 :) drive , now with 10 it only shows my (CDesktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10 :)
    drive and (JDesktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10 :) drive (backup), in no other possibilities to look (i.e. d,e,f,g,h drives), as nothing else is listed, and I see no way to add any of these drives to the search list.

Is there a fix for this?? Please help

KW22614, Sep 25, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Desktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10

Let me summarize: Your drive "HP DVD- RAM GH40" is recognized in the BIOS, but not in Windows.

I have solved this kind of problem just yesterday, see here: [FIX] Optical Drives (CD/DVD) Icon Not Showing in My Computer Window - AskVG

For the user yesterday, the solution was to run this .reg file, which will modify one value in the Windows Registry:

I don't say that it will necessarily help you as well, but it helped him. Apart from that the link contains a number of other possible solutions.

Joergi, Sep 25, 2015
  5. Thanks for the input Joergi,
    I looked at my current registry with "regedit" (after first exporting a copy) and I do not have "\Control0" following "\atapi". What is your proposed modification? - Jim

Yorguson15, Sep 25, 2015
  6. Joergi Win User
    Joergi, Sep 26, 2015
  7. I tried randomly switching the SSD, HDD, and DVD Burner connections with the 4 available motherboard SATA connectors and found that when I changed the initial connections (as documented in the BIOS listing above) to the following, Windows 10 did recognize the DVD Burner and the SDD and HDD continued to work normally:
    *-*-*-*-*-1st Drive: HP SSD V300A
    *-*-*-*-*-2nd Drive: None
    *-*-*-*-*-3rd Drive: HP DVD- RAM GH40 (Note: SATA Optical Disk)
    *-*-*-*-*-4th Drive: WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B

Yorguson15, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10

1. Desktop Internal Optical Drive not recognized by Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Desktop Internal Optical

2. My External Optical Drive is not being recognized correctyl by windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My External Optical Drive is not being recognized correctyl by windows 10: I have bought a Ninzer USB Optical Drive. It is installed i windows as a "Initio INIC-1511 USB Device" which is obviously incorrect. I cannot change the driver as windows keeps reinstalling it as the Initio device. Even after I disabled automatic driver installation. How can...
  3. Optical drive recognized, discs spins but does not play

Optical drive recognized, discs spins but does not play: A friend asked me to re-install Window 10 due to a failing Hard drive. After the install incl. all current (20H2) MS updates I encounter the following problem. The Optical drive displays in File Manager (and Device Manger) but does not auto play and discs. When manually...
  4. MthsTec external Bluray optical drive not recognized by computer

MthsTec external Bluray optical drive not recognized by computer: Good morning I recently purchased MthsTec external optical drive. When I plug the drive into a USB port the device is not recognized by the computer....
  5. replacing optical drive with HDD - Desktop

replacing optical drive with HDD - Desktop: W10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041. 329) - Desktop Computer BACKGROUND INFORMATION: My motherboard only has 3x drive connection points: Last year I Installed 500 GB SSD as Boot Drive = 1 connection point Already installed Internal HDD (still in use) = 2 connection point...
  6. Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn

Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn: I have a new USB Slim portable Optical Drive and it reads cd's just fine with my Windows 10 laptop, but it will not write to empty cd's. Does anyone have a solution?...
  7. Windows 10 CD/DVD Drive not recognized; internal or external

Windows 10 CD/DVD Drive not recognized; internal or external: I know this is an old and seriously aggrivating problem but the comments are locked and I have not been able to resolve. I did the reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 thing and that did not...
  8. Internal optical drive seen as removable drive

Internal optical drive seen as removable drive: Hi guys, I've got a CQ62 running an AMD processor. It's working great in every way but one. The internal CD/DVD burner is seen as a removable drive, and is inaccessible. Under Device Manager it's listed under Disk Drives, whereas normally it should be under DVD/CD Drives....
  9. Optical Drive is not Recognized in File Explorer or Bios

Optical Drive is not Recognized in File Explorer or Bios: My optical drive is not recognized in File Explorer or Bios after Windows Update. I am pretty confident this is due to the windows update. FYI, Dell support tool says drivers up to date....
  10. optical drive

optical drive: is not listed in devices and wont find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/optical-drive/0fdeeee8-96a7-42b5-801d-ed31c57d2c14

Users found this page by searching for:

1. internal optical drive not recognized