Windows 10: Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more...

Discus and support Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, My computer's desktop is blank (black) with no desktop icons. [img] My task bar icons are missing. My windows button doesn't open.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Strugglin, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Strugglin Win User

Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more...

Hi,
    My computer's desktop is blank (black) with no desktop icons.

Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more... [​IMG]

My task bar icons are missing.
    My windows button doesn't open.
    I can not access settings (even using CTRL R -> ms-settings: OR right-clicking task-bar. It "times out").
    There is "no wireless interface on the system".
    My computer constantly gets BSOD (every error possible - i can't remember the error codes. Frequent ones that appear are WatchDogViolation and Memory Management).

I haven't been bothered to fix this problem until recently and was quite happy navigating using CTRL+R but now I'm annoyed. I have tried/watched multiple solutions however, there's always something missing in order to fix the problem, such as opening settings (which i can't do as seen above) or when i feel like i'm almost there, BSOD appears.

This is my last resort before "calling a guy" to help.

If anyone could help that would be great *Smile

Thanks,

:)

Strugglin, Jun 16, 2017
  2. Kentlrda Win User

Edge is working but not showing on taskbar nor on start menu

Hi Padogy,

I had/have the same problem with getting the Edge Icon to show on the taskbar. I found that the problem is that the Edge Icon is BLACK. Likewise, the taskbar is black. And, as we know, it is impossible to see Black on Black! Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more... :)

So.....Find the Edge Icon that is on your DESKTOP. Right Click on it. Then, select Properties. The select 'Change Icon'. Select a new (and more visible) icon from the one's shown. Then select okay. Now that you have created an icon that you can see,
    drag it down to the taskbar and you should be able to see it. Happy New Year. Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more... :)

Kentlrda, Jun 16, 2017
  3. Desktop Icon in taskbar is missing

I thought I was observant until your description of this desktop icon. Why on earth did those smart coders do something so bizarre?

Thanks for the help.

the desktop icon is not much more difficult to use, but at least it is there.

Nantucketbob, Jun 16, 2017
  4. Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more...

Hi Strugglin. Welcome to the TenForums @Strugglin

First is all your personal data backed up off device?

I would suggest we start with diagnostics. The first tutorial I would suggest runs diagnostics on memory.

MemTest86+ - Test RAM

Let it run through at least two full cycles.

Next I would check storage drive. When you say your Windows button doesn't open, do you mean the Windows Start icon on left of task bar or the Windows Key on your keyboard?

When your machine boots up do you get the password prompt? If so do you see the power icon, lower left. if you click once, then hold down shift key and click restart. This should take you to The Advance Startup Options.

MemTest86+ - Test RAM

If not, power on your machine, as soon as you see the spinning dots hold the power button down until it powers off. Then power on and when you see the dots, hold the power button down until it powers off.

Power on again and it should start with the Advance Startup options. (Windows starts Advance after two failed attempts)

You want to follow it through to Command prompt. (with admin privileges). At command prompt type

chkdsk c: /f /r /v

This should take some time. If it doesn't your OS drive isn't C:.

Post your findings from memory test and chkdsk.

Not sure what you have in the way of personal data and I'm very much hoping you have a backup. For me this is the first thing I would deal with.

While a pain in the a$$ machines can be rebuilt, data not so much.

Do you have bootable media.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 16, 2017
  5. iDamn Win User
    Clean install that sorcery! You'll feel way better, that is if you don't have any precious data laying around in C:/

iDamn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more...

1. Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more... - Similar Threads - Desktop black icons

2. Taskbar icons missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons missing: When i open my windows after sleep the icons on my taskbar seem to be missing. after i click on space where my icons used to be that particular icon goes back to normal. Is this a bug? If yes i hope it gets fixed soon....
  3. Taskbar Icons missing.

Taskbar Icons missing.: I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11. Some of my taskbar icons became invisible. When I say I tried all the fixes short of wiping my hard drive, I truly did. I downgraded back to Win 10. All was well for a few weeks until today. While using my laptop, some icons suddenly...
  4. Taskbar Icons missing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taskbar Icons missing.: I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11. Some of my taskbar icons became invisible. When I say I tried all the fixes short of wiping my hard drive, I truly did. I downgraded back to Win 10. All was well for a few weeks until today. While using my laptop, some icons suddenly...
  5. Missing taskbar and Icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing taskbar and Icons on desktop: Within the last week my desktop changed. I lost all links I had posted and lost the taskbar. What appeared is the display one used to get when clicking the WINDOWS icon, bottom left. New computer, Windows 10 32 bit. How do I remove the current dislay on desktop & restore...
  6. Missing icons in taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing icons in taskbar: I don't why, but I have at least, constantly, one icon missing in my taskbar. since some days I can't display all of them with the settings. Currently, the sound icon is missing. Any idea? https://i.imgur.com/vgclbaR.png The white part on the screenshot is disappearing too...
  7. OneDrive headaches--icon missing from taskbar and more

OneDrive headaches--icon missing from taskbar and more: hi. i have had this problem in the past and was advised by microsoft to 'reinstall my OS'--which is what they say any time they don't know offhand what to do. so--from time to time i'll check to make sure the icon is still in notification area. i have had no problems, so i...
  8. taskbar missing and desktop icons missing_black background no icons

in Windows 10 Support
    taskbar missing and desktop icons missing_black background no icons: My taskbar is missing and my icons on the desktop are missing as well the background is dark kindly help*Shock 24989
  9. Missing Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Taskbar Icons: Whenever I run a Windows 10 specific app, such as Edge, Store, Weather, etc, It opens properly, but the icon on the taskbar is simply a square with a line under it if it is active and only the line shows when it is inactive. If I pin a Windows 10 app to the taskbar, there is...
  10. Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed: This morning when I booted up my desktop, all of my icons on the desktop were missing, although the shortcut is still there and works. The icons in the taskbar now have a generic looking icon. Right clicking on the start menu no longer brings up the menu and when I go to file...