Windows 10: Desktop is not accessible

Discus and support Desktop is not accessible in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, My laptop updated yesterday. Then today when I tried to use it, I only see a blacl screen and this message: "Location is not available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RachelBriones, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Desktop is not accessible

Hi,

My laptop updated yesterday. Then today when I tried to use it, I only see a blacl screen and this message:

"Location is not available C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted."

I cannot even use the start menu. I've tried different solutions that I found on this site but none of them worked.

I don't know what to do. Please help!

:)

RachelBriones, Aug 6, 2018
  2. karyeowl Win User

Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Aug 6, 2018
  3. Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Aug 6, 2018
  4. Darshan J Win User

Desktop is not accessible

I CAN'T ACCESS MY DESKTOP

Hello,

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue.

• What build is installed on your computer?

• When you say ‘unable to access desktop’, does that mean that the issue is with Start Menu desktop icons or the conventional desktop?

• Are you trying to install the Steam app from Microsoft store or Third party website?

• Are you facing any error message while trying to install ‘Steam’ app?

It looks like you might either be in Tablet mode
    or have the Start Screen set to full and as a basic troubleshooting step, I suggest you to follow the steps given below:

• Click the Action Center icon on the taskbar just to the left of the date/time. Do you happen to have the Tablet button selected? If yes, please unselect by clicking on ‘Tablet mode’ option to use
      your computer in desktop mode.

• Click on Start Menu and choose
      Settings
      , Click on Personalization, select Start
      on the left pane, check if the "Use Start full screen" is on or off. It might be turned on, so perhaps toggling this option to off might help.

Hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Darshan J, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

Desktop is not accessible

1. Desktop is not accessible - Similar Threads - Desktop accessible

2. Can't access Desktop folder URGENT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access Desktop folder URGENT: Today, I went onto my computer to find an error message that read:Location is not available C:\Users\mubas\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a...
  3. Can't access Desktop folder URGENT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access Desktop folder URGENT: Today, I went onto my computer to find an error message that read:Location is not available C:\Users\mubas\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a...
  4. Can Remote Desktop Into PC, but Cannot Access Drives via Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Remote Desktop Into PC, but Cannot Access Drives via Network: I'm trying to move my webserver to the outer tier router in my 3-tier network. Presently, it only works on the inner tier:I have a fiber connection with ONT feeding a NVG468MQ router. Behind that router I have a Linsys WRT3200ACM. Behind that, I have a second WRT3200ACM. My...
  5. Can Remote Desktop Into PC, but Cannot Access Drives via Network

Can Remote Desktop Into PC, but Cannot Access Drives via Network: I'm trying to move my webserver to the outer tier router in my 3-tier network. Presently, it only works on the inner tier:I have a fiber connection with ONT feeding a NVG468MQ router. Behind that router I have a Linsys WRT3200ACM. Behind that, I have a second WRT3200ACM. My...
  6. Can Remote Desktop Into PC, but Cannot Access Drives via Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. How to move "Desktop" to top of Quick Access list in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move "Desktop" to top of Quick Access list in Windows 11: The link to my Desktop on Quick Access is defaulted to the bottom. Ideally, I would like this at the top, above Downloads. I can drag and move all other folders, hidden names for privacy including Downloads, but when I drag and move the Desktop, it will show it moved then...
  8. How to move "Desktop" to top of Quick Access list in Windows 11

How to move "Desktop" to top of Quick Access list in Windows 11: The link to my Desktop on Quick Access is defaulted to the bottom. Ideally, I would like this at the top, above Downloads. I can drag and move all other folders, hidden names for privacy including Downloads, but when I drag and move the Desktop, it will show it moved then...
  9. How do I factory reset a windows computer without having access to the desktop or safe mode?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I factory reset a windows computer without having access to the desktop or safe mode?: I believe my computer has a corrupt file that keeps causing it to crash every time I try to boot it up. When I try to turn it on, it says critical_process_died. Then opens up a blue screen with several options like factory resetting, resetting to a different start point,...
  10. How do I factory reset a windows computer without having access to the desktop or safe mode?

How do I factory reset a windows computer without having access to the desktop or safe mode?: I believe my computer has a corrupt file that keeps causing it to crash every time I try to boot it up. When I try to turn it on, it says critical_process_died. Then opens up a blue screen with several options like factory resetting, resetting to a different start point,...