Windows 10: Desktop Location issue

Discus and support Desktop Location issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good day I tried to change the location of the desktop. Unfortunately windows put my whole user profile on my desktop and renamed C:\users\myuser to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FIISHxMAN, Mar 23, 2016.

1. FIISHxMAN Win User

Desktop Location issue

Good day

I tried to change the location of the desktop. Unfortunately windows put my whole user profile on my desktop and renamed C:\users\myuser to C:\users\desktop

If i try to change it back, it says "wrong directory" or "no access"

Did you guys ever had a similar problem?

:)

FIISHxMAN, Mar 23, 2016

2. Reset Downloads folder to default location

Hi,

I'm experiencing a similar issue.

I changed the default Downloads folder to the Desktop, and now when I went and tried to reset the folder to its default location nothing changed.

Here is how it looks

Desktop Location issue [​IMG]

If I click on the "Move" button and change the location manually, it changes the Desktop's location as well from the navigation menu.

Basically both Desktop (former Downloads) folder and Desktop (actual Desktop) folder have the same location whenever I change either one manually.

Anyone with a solution to this?

Thanks

Andreas Neophytou, Mar 23, 2016
  3. Incorrect location for Windows 10 Workstation

Yeah, I'm also having this issue. My desktop doesn't have any kind of GPS, so the location is based on the ISP =\

We should be able to manually set a "custom" location on windows 10 desktops (desktops don't "move around" too much I think it would work perfectly fine xD)!

Alexandre Giaccheri, Mar 23, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Desktop Location issue

Hello and welcome *Smile

It looks to me as if you have somehow changed the name of your user folder. You might be able to restore to a previous version if you have restore points set up or have set up backups with File History.

Navigate to your C:\users\desktop folder and right click on it and select properties; there is a Previous Versions Tab which might enable you to restore to a previous version of the folder.

philc43, Mar 23, 2016
  5. FIISHxMAN Win User
    Unfortunately it's not possible. So tat means i have to reinstall my windows or reset the user account?
    Thank you for help *Smile

FIISHxMAN, Mar 23, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to rename your users folder. None of the usual methods work because it is a system folder. You basically have to create a new user account and then copy over all your files etc to the new user.

Create a new local account with the user name you want, make it an administrator account, and sign in to it. This way the "C:\Users\(user-name)" profile folder will have the name you want.

User Account - Add in Windows 10

Afterwards, you can delete your old account after copying what you want to the new local account. Rather a pain to do I know!

User Account - Delete in Windows 10

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Location issue

1. Desktop Location issue - Similar Threads - Desktop Location issue

2. Location inaccuracy issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location inaccuracy issue: I went to reset my WiFi network in a San Francisco home. When I connect my PC into the router, the time automatically changed because of the location. Instead of the actual location of San Francisco, the location shows Naranja, Florida. I don't know how to change the location...
  3. 2 Desktop locations?

in Windows 10 Support
    2 Desktop locations?: Today I re-installed Windows 10 due to some issues I caused myself and it was deemed easier to just re-install Windows. Either way, I think everything now works apart from 1 thing. My Desktop under my user is set to location: C:\users\MYUSER\OneDrive But as I've been...
  4. issue of location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    issue of location: the windows maps app is not showing my Accurate location . It's showing wrong address. I can't make it correct. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issue-of-location/b5ba1a1d-dff1-49d3-8a00-d4862dff2379
  5. Desktop physical location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop physical location: My desktop shows Arlington Texas as its physical location and I am actually located in Bastrop, Texas. How do I correct this? Thanks Bruce https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-physical-location/3298918f-b879-486d-8849-c57e188692ba
  6. Issue with my location

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue with my location: Apparently location on my windows is not working correctly. I moved from a place where i used to live but my laptop still shows my previous location as my current location. submitted by /u/pd1403 [link] [comments]...
  7. Desktop location

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop location: I installed a programme to my pc and when it asked where I would like to install programme files too I selected desktop. This filled my screen with icons related to the programme and since then I have lost all my desktop. I’ve deleted the programme I installed tried system...
  8. Desktop location is not found

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop location is not found: after the magnification windows (bug installer) the update i cant add anything to my desktop i keep getting file not found and sometimes location not found what shall i do i removed the bug installer i think its the same team who worked on IE who works on windows 10...
  9. Documents/Desktop/Pictures etc. refer to same location issue

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Documents/Desktop/Pictures etc. refer to same location issue: Sorry about the ambiguous title but I am not one hundred percent certain how to best articulate my issue. Essentially I tried to move all my Program Files/x86 and My Desktop/Documents/Pictures etc. from my SSD to my HDD following this tutorial: How to move program files to a...
  10. Desktop Location

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Location: I just replaced my hard drive and reinstalled W10 Fall Creators Edition. (I know that was overkill, I could have just restored a Macrium image but I am a machochist but I thought it time for a new clean install.) On the old disk my Desktop was under users/me/Desktop. The...