Windows 10: Desktop not accessible/available. Then on reboot all icons gone

Discus and support Desktop not accessible/available. Then on reboot all icons gone in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; No idea what happened here or even if this is fixable. All of a sudden I got an error message that desktop not accessible despite it being available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pittguy578, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Desktop not accessible/available. Then on reboot all icons gone

No idea what happened here or even if this is fixable.

All of a sudden I got an error message that desktop not accessible despite it being available ten minutes before.

I rolled back to prior version of windows-that didn't fix it.

I rebooted again. I can put stuff on desktop but that doesn't fix my missing icons or the documents that had been on desktop.

I go into my users/desktop folder and that is blank as well.

Any way to fix this?

:)

pittguy578, Sep 28, 2017

2. All computer icons

All of the icons on my computer are gone. not just the desktop, but folder icons, everything. The icon names are still present on my desktop, but no icons. Taskbar icons appear as light blue/white rectangles. Folder envelopes are completely gone. I have
    tried searching for a solution, but all I can find is the simple desktop icon function. I have done system restore several times, but to no avail. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

RGRamsdell, Sep 28, 2017
  3. JoeM_893 Win User
    desktop icons are gone after reboot

Opps My Fault Unselect tablet mode in the Notifications Icon. Now I can switch back and forth.

JoeM_893, Sep 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Desktop not accessible/available. Then on reboot all icons gone

Do you mean e.g. Win 10 to Win 8, or Creator's build to Anniversary build?

Or do you perhaps mean System Restore?

If one of the first two, it's gone.

Did you perhaps relocate your desktop (which is possible)?
    And of course, do you have a backup? (We repeatedly and strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging- e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) which lets you restore Windows to a prior working state even if unbootable, and any disks or partitions you've imaged- or extract any files you need).

Some discussion here e.g. - searching for
    desktop not accessible

'Desktop is not Accessible' - Windows Forum - Spiceworks

dalchina, Sep 28, 2017
Thema:

Desktop not accessible/available. Then on reboot all icons gone

1. Desktop not accessible/available. Then on reboot all icons gone - Similar Threads - Desktop accessible available

2. Application icons are all gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Application icons are all gone.: My english is really broke, but i'll still try to explain this. So, suddenly, almost all of my icons are gone, they're just blank. But here's the thing - when i pin whatever app to the taskbar, and then unpin it, it somehow brings app icon back. Here's the example:...
  3. ALL taskbar icons are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ALL taskbar icons are gone: [ATTACH] Ive tried basically everything that the internet has told me, scanned for malware, deleted iconcache.db and restarted, etc etc. https://preview.redd.it/fe4fw9tnkl261.png?width=1919&format=png&auto=webp&s=429d446858f1612def4f809f2de56e6011376307 submitted by...
  4. Desktop Icons gone haywire

Desktop Icons gone haywire: When I turned on my Windows 10 laptop the other morning, my desktop icons were spread out in 4 rows, with many of them missing. I have not installed or uninstalled anything on this computer for many weeks. I do a complete full shutdown nightly Fast Startup is turned off. The...
  5. Red desktop background and all icons are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Red desktop background and all icons are gone: I recently booted up my pc after a while and the background is now red, my icons are gone, and whenever I try to do anything it just loads for a while and then does nothing. submitted by /u/Zuedead115 [link] [comments]...
  6. Normal Desktop Icons all gone

Normal Desktop Icons all gone: My Windows 10 Desktop suddenly doesn't show my usual icons--I had personalized it with links I use often. Now, it only shows my background photo and icons i'm not familiar with. Am I in a different mode that I don't realize? It doesn't show any browser options ??? and...
  7. Folders/icons on desktop gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders/icons on desktop gone: I am on 1903 I will explain this as it played out I had battlenet on my computer but it was a blank icon..tried uninstalling it but it wouldn't let me. I could not get it to uninstall. Not sure why it was blank..i never uninstalled it before. I downloaded a fresh copy of...
  8. All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop: Hi all, On turning on my laptop yesterday (for the first time in a couple of days), all my icons are now missing: [img] This also includes thumbnails, etc: [img] I have tried restarting / full shutdown a few times with no effect. Any suggestions much...
  9. All icons are gone (everywhere)

in Windows 10 Support
    All icons are gone (everywhere): Hi, something really weird happened after I restarted my computer. The icons in my desktop, folders, etc (everywhere) are gone. (see the pictures) [img] [img] I rebooted a bunch of times and even did a system restore but it's still not displaying any of the icons....
  10. Desktop Icons all gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons all gone?: I have the latest update of Win 10... Booted computer this morning and all of my desktop icons are gone. Could anyone help me find them? *Smile The desktop now defaults to a Win10 desktop but when I go to "desktop" there is nothing there. All help appreciated. wayne 53950