Windows 10: Desktop Operating System

Discus and support Desktop Operating System in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Am I alone, or are there others out there who would like a DESKTOP operating system to use with their DESKTOP computers? Swiping, pinching, tapping,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SoopaNutz, Aug 15, 2015.

1. SoopaNutz Win User

Desktop Operating System

Am I alone, or are there others out there who would like a DESKTOP operating system to use with their DESKTOP computers? Swiping, pinching, tapping, chanting arcane spells to your Cortana crystal ball, ... -- all these may be OK on a phone or tablet, but don't they just add to the effort of using a desktop computer?

:)

SoopaNutz, Aug 15, 2015

2. Windows operating system

Well a) you'll have to but a copy of Windows 8.

b) Do a clean install from the media you bought - if your computer Vendor supplies Windows 8 drivers.....

I have to say , there are very few people that seem to prefer Windows 8 over Windows 10....

What is it that you don't like about it?

Gordon B-P, Aug 15, 2015
  3. bdb2016 Win User
    Windows operating system

My new laptop has Windows 10 pre-loaded on it. I don't like it. How can I safely load Windows 8?

bdb2016, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Desktop Operating System

My 10 has a desktop, works almost identical to previous versions of windows

paulsalter, Aug 15, 2015
  5. tcman50 Win User
    Not only is there a desktop but windows 10 offers multiple desktops.

TC *Smile

tcman50, Aug 15, 2015
  6. SoopaNutz Win User
    That's one feature of Win 10 that I really like!

SoopaNutz, Aug 15, 2015
  7. No you aren't.

I, for one, don't need the childish tiles and data gathering browsers on my computer. I don't need the stupid games and connections to XBox, either. I don't need TV, music and video players assaulting me with Taylor Swift and infantile boy band hype. If I want the weather update I'll look out the window!

My computer isn't a toy. *Mad

Thankfully, with knowledge, patience and online forums like this at my disposal, it's possible to remove (almost) all traces of the Microsoft attempt to Apple-fy my brain!

teachermark, Aug 15, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Desktop Operating System

Hi there

I sometimes SCREAM at the PC or bash a monitor if a Stock trade goes wrong !!! -- Not sure a Mobile phone would put up with such abuse -- I know a Tablet wouldn't -- just even LOOKING at a tablet probably makes the glass want to shatter.

Nothing wrong with W10 for 100% Desktop operation -- you can turn off Cortana, remove all the metro stuff from the start menu and make it run identically to W7 (albeit a bit faster).

I don't think things like Cortana would be very popular in that Scourge of the 20th century - carried forward into this one -- "The Open Plan Office". I'm sure Enterprise versions will disable those sorts of things in any case.

For Visually impaired people Cortana could be a great improvement over stuff that's already there but for the rest of us -- no thanks if I'm in an Office workplace.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 15, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    You forgot "And get off my grass!"

Mystere, Aug 15, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Some people used to have other ideas. -- Glad W10 has essentially moved away from that W8 type of Kiddy Interface (Back to the Future !!!).

Remember THIS !!!!!

Desktop Operating System [​IMG]

I suspect there are some younger members of this forum who thinks DOS means Desktop Operating System too !!!!! probably never having ever booted up a Pre windows OS. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Inundated Win User
    Turning off the live tiles helps a lot. Right click on the tile to turn off the live part, then Unpin From Start if it still bugs you (I did this with Xbox).

You can then, if that still bugs you, go all the way back with Classic Shell or Start10.

Inundated, Aug 15, 2015
  12. +1 to that
    I was showing someone my new operating system running its desktop, they said "it looks great ,but I thought you had this new windows 10"

brotherboard, Aug 15, 2015
  13. nt62 Win User

Desktop Operating System

Desktop Operating System [​IMG]

14. satchmo Win User

I completely agree. I have much more fun playing with my computer than any toy I can imagine.

satchmo, Aug 15, 2015
  15. SoopaNutz Win User
    Yeah, Classic Shell made Win 8.1 a lot nicer. Personally, I can't for the life of me see why anyone would want the "metro" interface or "modern apps." I would switch all my computers to Win 10 if:

1) Some of my more important programs would function a little better with it; and
    2) Outlook 2010 and IE11 cooperated better (or Edge were a real browser).

SoopaNutz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Operating System

1. Desktop Operating System - Similar Threads - Desktop Operating System

2. Operating System

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Operating System: Microsoft tried to update my window 10 to window 11. It messed up my previous operating system. I received a error message that stated, "Previous operating system has failed. My operating system has went back to the reset system. I can not find any of my documents, files,...
  3. Operating system

Operating system: Hi, Planing to buy a dell inspiron 7501. The dell website mentions it is integrated with window 10 home single language. I would like to that particular operating system has 32bit or 64 bit size. Thank you madhav...
  4. Operating system

Operating system: Is windows 10 home single language 32 bit or 64 bit operating system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system/f857afd7-aba9-4799-b8f8-182f89dd7677
  5. Operating system

Operating system: Is my os version and build higher?? or lower? [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system/3c88a651-d6bc-4a77-9f89-1c47409b8f9b
  6. Operating system

Operating system: Hell sir I am use bye dell computer for windows 10 ligal operating system but education perpose i want to use bye another operating sysytem only for collage work ...sir I am booting my computer and loaded the other operating system means I am use bye two operating system...
  7. Operation System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Operation System: " You are running 32-bit Windows, But this installer installs 64-Bit which can only be installed on 64-bit Windows. Please download the 32-bit version on website " This is the error message i get on almost every program i try to install to my device. but my system shows i...
  8. Operating System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Operating System: What can I do to stop getting the message, “An Operating System wasn’t found. Try disconnecting any drives that don’t contain an operating system. Press any key to restart.”, when I turn on my computer?...
  9. Operating System

Operating System: I deleted my operating system somehow when factory resetting my computer. I have an HP Envy that came pre-installed with Windows 10. Is there anything I can do to recover windows?...
  10. Operation System

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Operation System: Plzz..Tell to me...What is my originally windows 10 version...among this....10 pro/10 home/10 home single language ...also i can activate windows 10 home single language using digital license key...my laptop model :-Hp notebook 15 ac 126 tu......