Windows 10: Desktop PC does not boot from M.2 SSD when my secondary HDD is not installed.

Discus and support Desktop PC does not boot from M.2 SSD when my secondary HDD is not installed. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have recently disassembled my desktop PC to clean it and do some cable management. I have Windows 10 Installed on an M.2 SSD, and I have another HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by XS-935, Feb 12, 2024.

1. XS-935 Win User

Desktop PC does not boot from M.2 SSD when my secondary HDD is not installed.

I have recently disassembled my desktop PC to clean it and do some cable management. I have Windows 10 Installed on an M.2 SSD, and I have another HDD on my PC that I have not used in a while. Now, whenever I try to boot my PC without the HDD, it keeps loading me into BIOS. The M.2 SSD does indeed appear on the boot priority tab, so I can't imagine this being the result of hardware damage. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my SSD, checking for any inappropriately installed hardware, checked all cabling including peripherals, cleaning it, clearing the RTC and resetting BIOS to default setti

:)

XS-935, Feb 12, 2024

2. Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2

I bought a new to me desktop PC. I replaced the HDD it had with my old computer's SSD, which has my expected windows 10 image.

The PC was wiped clean before I bought it and I guess is booting to a Windows 11 M.2. So it boots to Win11 via the M.2. I can see my SSD as D: drive.

I went to startup options and don't see my SSD as an option to boot to.

I don't need this M.2 to boot to, only want it to boot to my SSD.

Can this be accomplished and if so, how? Thank you!

Jim Behlmann, Feb 12, 2024
  3. Why is my computer locking up on boot after installing M.2 SSD

My brother suggested that I unplug the current SSD in my computer and leave the HDD drive alone. Install the M.2 SSD and boot into BIOS. He said the two SSD's might be causing a conflict and once the BIOS is allowed to identify the new M.2 SSD I should be able to plug the other one back in. Should I give that a shot?

Joe 8675309, Feb 12, 2024
  4. Desktop PC does not boot from M.2 SSD when my secondary HDD is not installed.

My m.2 won't boot after removing a secondary internal hard drive

I have an old Hdd that contained my photos videos games videos Ets...

And i had An m.2 Ssd that i Had installed windows OS on it.

it was working fine until I removed that secondary hard drive my pc won't boot so i got into the bios and checked if the m.2 is still the #1 on the booting priority and it is

I tried forcing the pc to only boot from the m.2 nothing

So i concluded that when i installed windows on my pc some files had installed on that secondary hard drive

I think they were Boot files because there is no WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER next to the m.2 name

Is there a way i can repair my copy of windows without having to reinstall it because I have a lot of data i didn't back up on there

I have a bootable USB flash drive

Muhammad saqer 7799, Feb 12, 2024
Thema:

Desktop PC does not boot from M.2 SSD when my secondary HDD is not installed.

1. Desktop PC does not boot from M.2 SSD when my secondary HDD is not installed. - Similar Threads - Desktop does boot

2. PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it: I recently installed a new nvme m.2 SSD and when I turn on my computer it asked me to select a boot device. As a result I entered the BIOS thinking that my PC tried booting from the new SSD without windows installed on it, instead of my old SSD. I check the boot priority and...
  3. PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it: I recently installed a new nvme m.2 SSD and when I turn on my computer it asked me to select a boot device. As a result I entered the BIOS thinking that my PC tried booting from the new SSD without windows installed on it, instead of my old SSD. I check the boot priority and...
  4. PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Desktop PC does not boot from M.2 SSD when my secondary HDD is not installed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop PC does not boot from M.2 SSD when my secondary HDD is not installed.: I have recently disassembled my desktop PC to clean it and do some cable management. I have Windows 10 Installed on an M.2 SSD, and I have another HDD on my PC that I have not used in a while. Now, whenever I try to boot my PC without the HDD, it keeps loading me into BIOS....
  6. Desktop PC does not boot from M.2 SSD when my secondary HDD is not installed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop PC does not boot from M.2 SSD when my secondary HDD is not installed.: I have recently disassembled my desktop PC to clean it and do some cable management. I have Windows 10 Installed on an M.2 SSD, and I have another HDD on my PC that I have not used in a while. Now, whenever I try to boot my PC without the HDD, it keeps loading me into BIOS....
  7. Move only Windows from HDD to M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move only Windows from HDD to M.2 SSD: Hey everyone. I recently bought an M.2 SSD to use alongside my older HDD. My plan was to have the games I play the most and Windows on the M.2 and all the other stuff on the HDD. I have already moved some games to the M.2. But I'm not sure how to only move Windows without...
  8. Can't boot from SSD with my Windows install without secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot from SSD with my Windows install without secondary HDD: My PC is a real mix of old and new parts and I currently have a problem where my 2TB mechanical HDD is failing. It is 100% active all the time, but frequently hangs or simply takes forever to browse or transfer any files, so I'm pretty sure it is on the way out. When I remove...
  9. Installing Windows on m.2 ssd keeping old hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows on m.2 ssd keeping old hdd: Hi I purchased a new m.2 ssd .I want to install windows 10 on it.But i also want to keep my old hdd for storage (which currently has win 10) .How can I format the old and install win 10 on new ssd? Also link the necessary resources and links please.My dell laptop is...
  10. Upgrading hdd to M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading hdd to M.2 SSD: I got a new m.2 drive for Christmas and ive been trying to set it up so that my new SSD drive will replace my old hdd. I partitioned and cloned the new drive and it works well with HDD. However when I take the hdd drive out and turn my computer back on it brings up support...