Windows 10: [Desktop PC] UPS Connected, "Your battery is very low" every boot

Discus and support [Desktop PC] UPS Connected, "Your battery is very low" every boot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; TL/DR: This happens during boot when connected to a UPS, I'd like to stop it. =\ --- Recently decided to connect a UPS (CP1500PFCLCD) to my PC that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Quad5Ny, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Quad5Ny Win User

[Desktop PC] UPS Connected, "Your battery is very low" every boot

TL/DR: This happens during boot when connected to a UPS, I'd like to stop it. =\

---
    Recently decided to connect a UPS (CP1500PFCLCD) to my PC that way it can auto hibernate if there is a power loss. I ran into a annoying bug though.

Whenever I restart Windows takes 5-10 seconds to read the battery level (initially reporting 0%). And during this time it pops-up a fullscreen message and a broken explorer window that can only be closed by Alt+Tabing and clicking the X (see attached).

Additionally also drops my PC into battery settings during the last phase of startup making every boot take about 10 seconds longer (it will stay on the battery powercfg settings until it is able to read the battery level).

Steps tried: Googled the *insert expletive here* out of it. Disabled all notifications, Disabled Action Center and Un-hid all powercfg settings looking for a way to disable the Critical Battery Notification (the only one that exists is the Low Battery notification).
    ---

P.S. I really don't care about ever seeing the critical battery notification, either I'll be at the PC during power loss and will shut down immediately or I won't and it will auto-hibernate. - As for switching to battery settings during boot, I guess I can change those to match the AC settings.

:)

Quad5Ny, Jul 12, 2017
  2. SimonGie Win User

N900 USB connection problem - "Insufficient power"

You can do it with the phone off because it is off. It's not drawing any current. Try this, put your phone into offline mode and then try. Also, I've noticed that if my battery is very low, then I get this quite often. But it almost never happens if my phone
    has at least half a battery.

SimonGie, Jul 12, 2017
  3. Low Battery warning notification for wireless keyboard

I have a HP wireless keyboard connected to an HP TouchSmart 600. Since installing Windows 10 (from Windows 7) I get a "low battery warning on wireless keyboard" notification every time I boot up. I have installed new batteries several times and still
    get the notification. I have removed the keyboard from the devices manager and re-booted, again with no success in removing the notification at boot up. The keyboard works fine every time, but the warning notification is annoying. I seem to remember having
    the same problem years ago with a new version of Windows but can't remember the solution to getting rid of it. Please help and thanking you in advance, Gary

Gary Guertin, Jul 12, 2017
  4. fireberd Win User

Are you using the Cyberpower PowerPanel application for the UPS or the built in Windows app? I have a Cyberpower and use the PowerPanel application and no problems. I have had two Cyberpower UPS over the years and never had an issue with low battery alert unless there was an actual problem.

fireberd, Jul 12, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    I've gotten such warnings on both APC and Tripp-Lite UPS', replacement of the battery were the solution. I have had a couple of each fail after a few years that required replacing the whole unit.

Berton, Jul 12, 2017
  6. Quad5Ny Win User
    The battery is a USB HID device, it doesn't need any drivers or a app. You can download the Cyberpower app, but it doesn't offer any extended functionality (well extended over what you can do with the buttons and the power control panel).

I pulled out the batteries and checked their voltage and water level last night, both were fine. I'll run a full load battery test later tonight (have to round up some stuff that can draw 900W total).

Anyway, thank-you guys for the reply's but to clarify this only happens until Windows goes "Hey whats the battery level" during startup. Once it see's the battery level is 100% the icon goes to normal. -- I can even hot-plug/ the UPS (USB connection) after Windows is started and it comes up as 100% right away (making me think this is a Windows bug, hence looking for a workaround).

Quad5Ny, Jul 12, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    One thing you might check is the USB ports. I'd use only the USB 2.0 unless the UPS specifies USB 3.0 and I'd check the BIOS that Legacy USB is Enabled and also check the power options in Control Panel to assure Windows isn't turning the USB ports off in the interest of saving power.

Berton, Jul 12, 2017
  8. fireberd Win User

I would use the Cyberpower Power Panel app. Its unobtrusive and does not affect PC performance. I also use my PC for my recording studio and the Cyberpower does not interfere or cause any issues with the Replendence Latency Mon application.

You should at least try it and see if you still get the battery notice with that program.

fireberd, Jul 12, 2017
  9. Quad5Ny Win User
    I have a solution. - It involves creating a custom task to disable the UPS Device during shutdown, reboot and hibernate. And re-enabling it 10 seconds after the system comes back online. It's a really stupid hack, but it should work. I'll post back in a few days once I make the tasks and test them.

I might contact Cyberpower and hope they can with Microsoft (they're a huge UPS supplier). My reasoning on this is a single user filing a bug report using the feedback app will be ignored.

Info/Stuff I tried:
    • Battery test passed and also ran fine under 50% load for almost the rated time.
    • Installing the Cyberlink app fixes the issue, but that is like installing a 3rd party WiFi network utility. I'd rather stick with windows power management.
    • All ports on Z87+ are routed through the xHCI controller, if there is a EHCI controller it is not exposed on any of the boards I've worked with. You do have the option to force the xHCI controller to run in EHCI mode but it's still a xHCI controller in the end.
    • Digressing a bit, I tried switching the controller port routing mode from Enabled (Pure xHCI) to Auto (All ports start as EHCI) and to Smart Auto (Board will remember what ports need xHCI/EHCI). -- This didn't help, and it's not worth disabling USB 3.0 completely, so I didn't test that.
    • As for Legacy USB Support and EHCI hand-off, those are for UEFI apps or Old OS's. The MB passes control of the USB controller('s) to the OS and the OS re-initializes everything. But for completeness I did flip both of them on/off.
    • Lastly I passed through the UPS to a Windows 10 VM, the same thing happens in the VM (and the VM only emulates USB 2.0).

Quad5Ny, Jul 16, 2017
  10. Tom Payne Win User
    I have the same problem (Low batttery waning every few minutes) but it is because my laptop battery is bad and will no longer take a charge. I need to have it plugged in all the time, but it works fine for my use case. The notice started coming up after the "Fall Creator" update was applied. I would simply like to disable the alert/notification. I have look for setting and have turned off some, but can't seem to find the way to disable this.

Help!

Tom Payne, Dec 8, 2017
  11. fireberd Win User
    Your problem is unrelated to the UPS Battery problem. Do not try to revive and hijack an old thread. Start a new thread.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. [Desktop PC] UPS Connected, "Your battery is very low" every boot - Similar Threads - Desktop UPS Connected

2. Your battery is running low

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your battery is running low: My Toshiba laptop is saying that the battery is running low while it’s on 99% or lower so it’s annoying what should I do? So to use my laptop I need it to keep it plugged in...
  3. Your battery is running low

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Your battery is running low: My Toshiba laptop is saying that the battery is running low while it’s on 99% or lower so it’s annoying what should I do? So to use my laptop I need it to keep it plugged in...
  4. Desktop PC Low Battery Warning Not a Laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop PC Low Battery Warning Not a Laptop: Hi,I have a low battery warning on a Desktop workstation plugged directly into an outlet. Any ideas? I read another post but no answers ever came up. Then my computer shut off. I had to restart it.Here's the issue:Hardware Details: Dell Inc. OptiPlex 3060 IntelR CoreTM...
  5. Desktop PC Low Battery Warning Not a Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop PC Low Battery Warning Not a Laptop: Hi,I have a low battery warning on a Desktop workstation plugged directly into an outlet. Any ideas? I read another post but no answers ever came up. Then my computer shut off. I had to restart it.Here's the issue:Hardware Details: Dell Inc. OptiPlex 3060 IntelR CoreTM...
  6. Desktop PC Low Battery Warning Not a Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. your pc battery is low, plug in your PC Now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    your pc battery is low, plug in your PC Now: when it syas your pc battery is low, plug in your pc when im at 5% battery my pc just shuts down. sometimes it leaves the programs i had open sometimes it doesnt its annoying like when im talking to my friend playing minecraft and it happens. any fixes?...
  8. Message on screen of my desktop saying "Your battery is very low. Plug in your PC now."

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Message on screen of my desktop saying "Your battery is very low. Plug in your PC now.": I have a desktop and of course it is always plugged in. When I start up the computer in morning lately, a small box opens in middle of desktop that says "Your battery is very low. Plug in your PC now." It's a desktop! It is always plugged in. This is the only computer I...
  9. Suddenly getting "Battery Very Low" messages on Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Suddenly getting "Battery Very Low" messages on Desktop: My office desktop workstation (upgraded from Win7 -> Win10 ~3 weeks ago) is suddenly getting "Your Battery Is Very Low" pop-up messages, which just started today. It's happened multiple times today. I have the machine plugged into a Tripp-Lite UPS, which is also connected via...
  10. Critical Low Battery on Boot up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Critical Low Battery on Boot up: Whenever I turn on my Haier y11c laptop it shows "Critical Low Battery" and turns off. But when I plug-in AC power it turns on just fine but the battery is stuck at 95% and stays at 95% no matter I keep power plugged in or remove it. If I remove the AC power after turning...