Windows 10: desktop problem: mouse hover selection is not under mouse cursor

Discus and support desktop problem: mouse hover selection is not under mouse cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I got the Anniversary Update a month or two back. And ever since I have this problem on desktop icons. The mouse hover selection is shifted away from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by niksus, Mar 16, 2017.

1. niksus Win User

desktop problem: mouse hover selection is not under mouse cursor

I got the Anniversary Update a month or two back. And ever since I have this problem on desktop icons.
    The mouse hover selection is shifted away from cursor, in a way that the next icon is selected, not the one under cursor.
    [youtube]9bwq07tNFyc[/youtube]

When I click, the icon with the hover selection is started, not the one under cursor.
    This only happens with desktop icons.

Tried to update drivers, but nothing's changed.

:)

niksus, Mar 16, 2017

2. UPGRADED TO WINDOWS 10 - Cursor auto selects

UPGRADED to Windows 10 and my cursor selects items I hover over without clicking the mouse. How can I stop this automatic and not wanted feature.

RONALDDURHAM, Mar 16, 2017
  3. Mouser Hover problem

in windows 10 version 1703 (OS build 15063.332), if I put the mouse cursor in one file in a row then automatically the cursor hovers randomly, it is very difficult to identify the problems. sometimes it runs well. most of the time I face difficulties
    to select one exact file, even browsing videos on youtube it runs to the next video by fast forwarding automatically. I have faced same problems with my official desktop and in my personal laptop.

MostafizurRahman Sumon, Mar 16, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Must be some very unique experience, never seen that happen in any Windows or any other OS for that matter. What about selecting anything else, text for instance ?

CountMike, Mar 18, 2017
  5. niksus Win User
    It only happens with desktop icons. Everywhere else it is working ok.
    No problem to select text, use a browser, Windows Explorer or anything else.

niksus, Mar 18, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Very peculiar problem, never even heard of it. I thought that may be a mouse precision or GPU problem but that would manifest itself everywhere else. Try changing scaling and/or resolution of display. Could also try resetting desktop (F5) or changing icon sizes.

CountMike, Mar 18, 2017
  7. niksus Win User
    Changing resolution doesn't fix the problem.

F5 fixed it for a while, but if I keep moving around the mouse, the problem appears gradually. At first the displacement is smaller and it keeps growing. One more thing I noticed: the displacement is changing while moving to the sides of the screen - it's shifted only one icon on the left side and on the right side of the screen it is shifted with two icons.
    This really sounds like a scaling problem.

I think I have some scaling, but I'm not sure. I vaguely remember doing it on Win7 and while upgrading to Win10 the scaling maybe remained. Now I can't find where is the scaling option that I changed before.

Settings -> Display -> "Change the size of text, apps and other items" slider is grayed out and inactive (?!)
    Control Panel -> Display -> Change size of items -> "Set a custom scaling level" is 100%
    Where else can I check?

niksus, Mar 18, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

Try holding Ctrl button and turning mouse wheel or slider on the pad.

CountMike, Mar 18, 2017
  9. niksus Win User
    Yes, thanks. The scaling is changing but the problem remains.

Is there a way to reset all desktop (scale) settings?

niksus, Mar 18, 2017
  10. Just a blind guess, which has probably nothing to with this, run CMD as admin and copy:

Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableCursorSuppression" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f[/quote] It looks like a fake mouse driver, something like this: TouchMousePointer - on-screen mouse

TairikuOkami, Mar 18, 2017
  11. niksus Win User
    EnableCursorSuppression didn't fix it.

Following your second guess, I have three mice in Device Manager: "ELAN Input Device" by ELAN and two times "HID-compliant mouse" by MS (hid-0B05/pid-17FD & hid-046D/pid-C069). It's a G751 laptop, so one trackpad and also one USB mouse is attached. Is it ok that 3 devices show up here?

niksus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. desktop problem: mouse hover selection is not under mouse cursor - Similar Threads - desktop problem mouse

2. Mouse Cursor problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse Cursor problem: Hello. I have a problem whenever I try to change my mouse cursor on my computer. I do not know why I have this problem since I have not done anything with my system that I know of since I got it. So basically, whenever I change my cursor in my mouse settings, my cursor loads...
  3. Pop-up when mouse cursor hovers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pop-up when mouse cursor hovers: Hello, the pop up dialouge boxes appear whenever mouse cursor hovers on that particular option and gives name or details, and it can be very difficult navigate. I have attached screenshots and can it be disable it. Thanks...
  4. Pop-up when mouse cursor hovers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pop-up when mouse cursor hovers: Hello, the pop up dialouge boxes appear whenever mouse cursor hovers on that particular option and gives name or details, and it can be very difficult navigate. I have attached screenshots and can it be disable it. Thanks...
  5. mouse cursor selection box

mouse cursor selection box: HelloIt's been a few weeks my mouse cursor selection box In the form of the photo below Can you help me get back to normal?Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-cursor-selection-box/56383ae0-6644-44fe-845c-8ff48db90233
  6. Mouse hovering

Mouse hovering: My mouse When ever you hover on something it clicks it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-hovering/38e55570-af4d-4510-b493-35abf665f1a6
  7. Mouse select problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse select problems: Hello, I have a Logitech M310 wireless mouse that uses a Logitech Unify 2.4 Ghz receiver. The mouse was working ok until I installed an older Logitech Wireless Keyboard that uses a different receiver that communicates using a different frequency than the unify receiver....
  8. Mouse select problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse select problems: Hello, I have a Logitech M310 wireless mouse that uses a Logitech Unify 2.4 Ghz receiver. The mouse was working ok until I installed an older Logitech Wireless Keyboard that uses a different receiver that communicates using a different frequency than the unify receiver....
  9. Hover / auto-select / auto-highlight Mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hover / auto-select / auto-highlight Mouse: Can any Microsoft technicians or any Microsoft Community members create an app that will turn off the Mouse Hover / Auto-Select / auto-highlight function in Windows 10, please. The Microsoft technicians should create a trouble-shooting tool to do it. It is clearly evident via...
  10. Mouse/Pen hovering - Desktop hovering/break apart?

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse/Pen hovering - Desktop hovering/break apart?: Hi, I'd imagine this gets asked a lot, but I don't know the term or how describe it easily, so searching has been tough. However, I have Win 10 with a wacom and have this issue when I am doing precise moving with either mouse or pen, sometimes near the edge or bottom of the...