Windows 10: Desktop restarts every couple of seconds after major Windows update

Discus and support Desktop restarts every couple of seconds after major Windows update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This is on an HP EliteBook 8460p, if this is of any relevance. It hadn't had any Windows 10 Updates for ages (a year, maybe?), so I was going... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JohnGray, Oct 12, 2017.

1. JohnGray Win User

Desktop restarts every couple of seconds after major Windows update

This is on an HP EliteBook 8460p, if this is of any relevance.

It hadn't had any Windows 10 Updates for ages (a year, maybe?), so I was going through those outstanding without paying particular attention. Following a major update (Creators Update, perhaps?), when bringing up the desktop it goes into a continuous loop every couple of seconds where all the icons are written again, the desktop is cleared, all the icons are written again, and so on. It is almost impossible to click on anything because of lack of time.

How does one approach this problem, please?

:)

JohnGray, Oct 12, 2017

2. My laptop restarts every couple of days and gives me a Bug Check error on Event Viewer.

I haven't made changes but Asus supposedly fixed it by switching out my hard drive and its connection to the motherboard; however, the issue persists. This issue started almost immediately after I purchased the brand-new laptop though back in December.

And after I start it in Safe Mode, how do I identify if it's the hardware driver or not?

BrendanWahl, Oct 12, 2017
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    My laptop restarts every couple of days and gives me a Bug Check error on Event Viewer.

Sorry for the excess word.

If the issue doesn't occur in safe mode, it means that there's an issue with the driver (not exactly the hardware itself).

Please keep us posted.

Riel Alc, Oct 12, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Plankton, Oct 13, 2017
  5. JohnGray Win User
    I see your point, but prior to the latest batch of updates the laptop has been running Windows 10 quite happily since someone (else!) put it on well over a year ago!

I am more interested in how to recover from the current problem.

JohnGray, Oct 13, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    Windows 10 is designed to work on newer hardware and MS had released statements that some of these updates will not work with certain older CPU's. So this comes into play with users like yourself on a global scale. Unless these PC manufacturers release hardware updates to allow windows 10 be installed.......end users (OEM or custom) are being forced to upgrade hardware or buy a new PC.

All that said, I don't see how you will be able to fix you problem. Since MS has taken away the ability to prevent individual updates from installing, just delaying them in windows 10. If you have a backup, you could use that and then delay the latest build update. Then you're back to the same update issue. A feature update can be delayed for 365 days and quality update can be delayed for 30 days. Or Reinstall windows 8.1 and keep that.

Plankton, Oct 13, 2017
  7. JohnGray Win User
    It looks as though I will need to reinstall Windows 10 'from scratch' using the latest version 1703 ISO, and see whether than fixes the problem. At least it will remove all the historical accretion of a year's worth of updates!

JohnGray, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop restarts every couple of seconds after major Windows update - Similar Threads - Desktop restarts every

2. Desktop repeatedly restarts every 2 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop repeatedly restarts every 2 seconds: I just reset my laptop and reinstalled the OS win11 pro insider. After the introductory interchange, after logging on the desktop keeps restarting itself, i.e., blanks screen, redraws the background, paints the two icons recycle bin and ms edge, then the toolbar appears. A...
  3. Desktop repeatedly restarts every 2 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop repeatedly restarts every 2 seconds: I just reset my laptop and reinstalled the OS win11 pro insider. After the introductory interchange, after logging on the desktop keeps restarting itself, i.e., blanks screen, redraws the background, paints the two icons recycle bin and ms edge, then the toolbar appears. A...
  4. Mouse lags for a second every couple of seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse lags for a second every couple of seconds: Hello I have a problem that my mouse "Logitech G500s" Lags for a couple of seconds every 2 seconds randomly from 5 hours to 10 minutes it's really annoying but i observated something that whenever my mouse lags it disables Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V keybinds on mouse Not...
  5. Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds: Hello everyone, TL;DR: After building a new PC and installing Windows 10, the system freezes for 20-60s with a brief black screen at the end after every 5-10 seconds of "normal" usability. Needless to say, the system is not usable like this. I've tried many things and I...
  6. Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds: TL;DR: After building a new PC and installing Windows 10, the system freezes for 20-60s with a brief black screen at the end after every 5-10 seconds of "normal" usability. Needless to say, the system is not usable like this. I've tried many things and I cannot even pin-point...
  7. Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds: Hello everyone, TL;DR: After building a new PC and installing Windows 10, the system freezes for 20-60s with a brief black screen at the end after every 5-10 seconds of "normal" usability. Needless to say, the system is not usable like this. I've tried many things and I...
  8. Windows 10 MAJOR STUTTERING EVERY COUPLE SECONDS OR MINUTES !

Windows 10 MAJOR STUTTERING EVERY COUPLE SECONDS OR MINUTES !: Hello ppl.. Like the title say, i have this MAJOR STUTTERING and i have no idea what is causing it ! But what i'm sure of this wasn't there when i bought this pc.. everything is brand new. it's not problem in HDD or any other parts. I'm just bought it. it's 3 months...
  9. Mouse freezes for ~half a second every couple seconds.

Mouse freezes for ~half a second every couple seconds.: This issue has been bugging me ever since a couple of weeks ago when I added another graphics card to my PC. I did not install any drivers for it and I actually removed it about a week ago and it did not fix the problem. I've updated my graphics card drivers, then rolled them...
  10. Restarting every 5 Seconds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restarting every 5 Seconds: Hey first of all sorry for my bad English it’s not my main language. I have a Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming notebook. My Laptop made today a Update and during the Update he restarted and 5 seconds later he turned off he repeated this for a hour. Then I decided to press F2...