Windows 10: Desktop screen is black and right click does not work.

Discus and support Desktop screen is black and right click does not work. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I used to see icons on my desktop and today, they disappear altogether. There is a side bar you work with and I don't feel comfortable. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by nijjhar, Oct 7, 2015.

1. nijjhar Win User

Desktop screen is black and right click does not work.

Hi,

I used to see icons on my desktop and today, they disappear altogether. There is a side bar you work with and I don't feel comfortable.

The screen is black and if I right click on screen, it does not work and nothing is coming up to chose. When changing screens, I see glimpse of icons on the desktop momentarily.

So, my true desktop screen seems to be covered by this new black screen with left side bar.

I am a novice.

:)

nijjhar, Oct 7, 2015
  2. MZukoff Win User

Right click does not work on desktop and there are no icons

To make a long story short, the folks at my local Microsoft store reset my computer, as the last update corrupted the OS.

Since then there are no icons on my desktop, and right clicking on the desktop does not work to bring up the context menu for the desktop. Yes, the right click does work on other locations.

I have already changed the mouse.

MZukoff, Oct 7, 2015
  3. Right click does not work on desktop and there are no icons

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will assist you in solving the issue.

I suggest you to perform the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run SFC (System File Checker) scan.

• Right click on Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
    • After the scan is complete, type “exit” and press Enter.

For more information about SFC scan, click on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: Perform Disk Cleanup.

I suggest you to refer the link below and run the Disk Cleanup.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 7, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Few questions, what did you mean by a sidebar ? If screen is blank do not think clicking it will help. What do you mean by changing screens, monitors ?

jds63, Oct 7, 2015
  5. nijjhar Win User
    The screen where Windows 10 icon is has 4 lines on top then switch to turn off. Then right on top are three horizontal lines, which I click to get some icons down the left side of the black screen. Desktop does not respond to the right click of the mouse.

When I am switching screen, then I see the old icons on the desktop momentarily.

nijjhar, Oct 7, 2015
  6. nijjhar Win User
    Do microsoft have help line please?

nijjhar, Oct 7, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    Are you using any type of third party software for icons ? Taskbar show at the bottom, is Task View on taskbar selected ?
    Update Display Adapter drivers recently since Windows 10 ? Still not sure what you mean by switching screens, have 2 monitors on one Video card ? Not sure how well microsoft will help you over the phone or online, but you can try https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

jds63, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop screen is black and right click does not work. - Similar Threads - Desktop screen black

2. right click onempty portion of desktop does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    right click onempty portion of desktop does not work: A right click of the mouse on an empty portion of the desktop used to bring up a menu of some 7 or perhaps 8 actions that could be performed including rearrange icons, change display resolution, and others. Now, with my reinstalled Windows 10 OS that no longer works. Now if I...
  3. Right click on desktop not working.

Right click on desktop not working.: hi, I have noticed that whenever I right click on my desktop it gives me the loading symbol, aborts and then restarts and im not sure whats causing this, i looked into the problem scripts and found these were potential problems anyone able to help. Source Windows Explorer...
  4. Right Click on desktop does not work

Right Click on desktop does not work: I am having an issue that when I right click my desktop, the loading symbol pops up and then goes away after a minute or two. I am not in tablet mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-on-desktop-does-not-work/cde807db-63f4-4238-a929-71f601e6f214
  5. Desktop Right Click not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Right Click not working: So when I try to right click my desktop to make a folder the blue loading icon loads and it takes about 5 minutes to load and then nothing happens. I do it again and it does the same thing.. when it's loading I can't click anything on my desktop at all and when it stops...
  6. Desktop Right Click not working

Desktop Right Click not working: So when I try to right click my desktop to make a folder the blue loading icon loads and it takes about 5 minutes to load and then nothing happens. I do it again and it does the same thing.. when it's loading I can't click anything on my desktop at all and when it stops...
  7. Desktop Right Click not working

8. Desktop Right Click not working

9. Desktop right-click menu does not work

Desktop right-click menu does not work: When I right-click on the desktop, the cursor changes to a spinning icon, but I never get a menu to pop up. Right-click works everywhere else, just not on the desktop. Is is a brand new computer with Windows 10 installed. What might be wrong?...
  10. Right-clicking [on desktop] not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-clicking [on desktop] not working.: I have downloaded Windows 10 as I am sure you all have. When I right-click [on a .jpg] on the desktop it takes ages to bring-up the context menu and invariably does NOT RESPOND [so my task manager tells me]. How do I fix this? 16837