Windows 10: Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon.

Discus and support Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; path: C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\ For some reason any Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon. The first shortcut looks correct,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sadicus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. sadicus Win User

Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon.

path: C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\
    For some reason any Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon.
    The first shortcut looks correct, but after a restart, it becomes blank even with: Properties> Change icon.

:)

sadicus, Jul 31, 2018
  2. Vanessa Yar Win User

Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 31, 2018
  3. mik-dav 1500 Win User
    Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Jul 31, 2018
  4. Regile Reb Win User

How can i restore my accidental deletion of about 1/2 of my desktop icons

Hi,

Since your desktop icons are not in the Recycle Bin, we suggest that you create a new shortcut for your preferred applications. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click on your desktop > New > Shortcut.
    • Enter the path of the application you want to create an icon or select Browse... > click OK > Next > Finish.
    Note: If the deleted icons on your desktops are not shortcuts, but are saved files, it may be possible to retrieve them if they are saved in OneDrive.

Let us know if you have other inquiries.

Regile Reb, Jul 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon. - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcut path

2. US Bank icon for desktop shortcut.

in Windows 10 Customization
    US Bank icon for desktop shortcut.: I can't find an icon file for my bank desktop shortcut (looking for US Bank). Lots of images, but no .ico files. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/us-bank-icon-for-desktop-shortcut/147a1aad-6457-4a01-b07c-59ab8b6b3b97
  3. Different shortcut icons on different desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different shortcut icons on different desktops: Is it possible to place different sets of icons on different desktop ? For example, having desktop 1 empty, desktop 2 full of files, desktop 3 with shortcuts to programmes/games, etc. Also is there a way to have a different wallpaper on each desktop, to tell them apart...
  4. Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop: Hi all! I would like to add some web Shortcuts to my desktop and then change the icon so it shows a graphic for what the item is. I know how to add a web site short to the desktop, but the icon is just generic. For example, say I want to add an web shortcut for Taco Bell...
  5. Size of Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Size of Desktop Shortcut Icons: My HP 15-AB271S-A Windows 10 laptop has larger desktop shortcut icons than my older E Machines E 732 laptop (which was recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Both have virtually the same screen dimensions and on checking the display settings in the control panels...
  6. Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black: All of my desktop shortcut icons have turned black. I first deleted my Explorer thumbnail cache and then my icon cache. I did not get the icons back to normal until after I deleted the icon cache. But after I shut down and restarted the black icons were back. I went...
  7. Losing icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Losing icons: I'm using Windows 10 Pro. I've lost the power level (battery) and the sound level control icons. What do I have to do to get them back? When I try to activate them they're grayed out. Best regards. *Mad 29032
  8. No Logo Appears on Desktop Shortcut Icon

in Windows 10 Support
    No Logo Appears on Desktop Shortcut Icon: RCA Cambio tablet, W10, Explorer Dsktp shtcut icons for website pages. I go to website page, copy url. Then clk blank area on desktop/new/shortcut/paste the url/type name for shortcut/finish. When it shows on desktop, it is just the white square with 'the big e' in it with...
  9. Lost all "Desktop" Icons/Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost all "Desktop" Icons/Shortcuts: I was on a short vacation, and I powered off my system...via power strip, while gone. Upon return, I fired up the system, and downloaded any updates, etc., that might have been available during my "absence". When done, I noticed that all my old W7 desktop "shortcuts" were...
  10. Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop: Hello, I recently purchased a new Windows 10 laptop, and it has an odd issue which my old Windows 10 machine didn't... All the icons on the desktop (except the Recycle Bin) are showing shortcut overlays (little blue arrows on the lower-left corner of the icon) - whether...