Windows 10: Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url.

Discus and support Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, Opera is my default browser. Recently my desktop shortcuts will not open. If I double click on BBC Home News for example I am taken to... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Romeo Hotel, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url.

Hello, Opera is my default browser. Recently my desktop shortcuts will not open.
    If I double click on BBC Home News for example I am taken to file:///C:/Users/Romeo/Desktop/BBC%20News%20-%20Home.URL. ( Not Home - BBC News.
    I just get a white page with a typewritten message which says -
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=Home - BBC News
    IDList=
    HotKey=0
    IconFile=C:\Users\Romeo\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\np0rt41x.default\shortcutCache\6s6g03 BdA9Caax2YNU7ZOw==.ico
    IconIndex=0 Any ideas/suggestions welcome thanks.

:)

Romeo Hotel, Oct 6, 2017
  2. Linney Win User

Desktop shortcut URLS all changed to same URL

If this is a recent occurrence then try fixing things via System Restore.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista (or 7, or 8).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/#appliesto

See, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery\ Open System Restore

You can try the LNK fix at this Windows 8 site, it probably should work in Windows 10.

File Association Fixes for Windows 8

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-8/

Linney, Oct 6, 2017
  3. Desktop shortcut URLS all changed to same URL

Hi Mike

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide more information before we proceed.

-How are you trying to create shortcut for URLs?

- Which browser are you using?

If you are using Internet Explorer, open URL you want to create shortcut for, right click and click Create shortcut and check if it helps.

If the issue is not resolved, I would suggest you to follow these steps and try to reset Internet Explorer:

a. Press Windows key + R then type inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.

b. Under Advanced tab, click on Reset.

c. Check the Delete personal settings box.

d. Click on Reset and then Close.

e. Close all open Internet explorer windows and re-open it.

f. Test the issue.

Reset Internet Explorer disclaimer:

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet
    Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Also re-enable the add-ons.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Vardhaman Shetti, Oct 6, 2017
  4. Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url.

Hi Romeo Hotel. Welcome to the TenForums @Romeo Hotel

If you delete icon and re-create do you get same effect.

Recently did you do any kind of data moves, like from C: to D: or another partition?

Interesting you use Opera but it is grabbing iconfile from Firefox.

Have you tried clearing Opera's cached information, cookies, temporary pages, history, etc.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 6, 2017
  5. Hello Ken, thank you for your interest in my problem. I tried deleting and recreating the icon, but got the same result.
    I also cleaned Opera's cache as you suggested but that did not help.
    I did do something recently on my desktop, but cannot be sure what it was. It was something like right clicking on
    the icon brought up a query along the lines of "do you want to always do this", but I can't be sure. What I do know is all the shortcuts
    on my desktop suddenly changed to the opera "O".
    I have been experimenting and have found that if I add a website to Opera's bookmark bar it works fine, but if I drag same bookmark onto my desktop and try to open it from there a blank page opens with this message-
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=Home - BBC News

Do you think that maybe the desktop is corrupted in some way? R.

Romeo Hotel, Oct 7, 2017
  6. I think you have to concentrated on the "Always do this" comment you made. Great that you remember this and the fact that they all change to "O". I think this is the cause. Now we need to find solution.

Have to find where this stored.

Caledon Ken, Oct 7, 2017
  7. If you Start => Settings => Apps => down the left default apps.

When this open look for Choose default by file type.

Scroll down to .lnk files. My default is blank, what is yours?

Caledon Ken, Oct 7, 2017
  8. Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url.

It says "Choose a Default"

Romeo Hotel, Oct 7, 2017
  9. Darn, that is what mine says.

Do you remember what you right click on.

One possible route back is a System Restore. Is it enable in your system?

Caledon Ken, Oct 7, 2017
  10. I would add, could you do the same process you did before for .lnk file types but this time look for .url

Mine says Internet Browser as default.

Caledon Ken, Oct 7, 2017
  11. I cannot remember exactly what I right clicked on, but I am sure I was trying to open a shortcut.
    I have tried system restore on two different dates, both were unable to complete and changed nothing.

Romeo Hotel, Oct 7, 2017
  12. Got there eventually, it's like at the airport it is always the last gate.

Default Url is Opera.

Romeo Hotel, Oct 7, 2017
  13. Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url.

Ken, I have to go - supper with grand children - will catchup tomorrow.
    Regards R.

Romeo Hotel, Oct 7, 2017
  14. Please take another restore point, altough I'm not sure of their value.

Then could you change .url default to Internet browser (not IE) and see if that changes thing. I will caution you, when you come back to reset if it does nothing I don't believe Opera will be in this list. Take this action understanding the risk.

On my system I use Chrome as default browser. My options for apps on .url are Internet Browser, IE and look for another app.

That is why it is important to have a restore point. Now as System restore is not working a peak efficiency on your system you should take an Image with Macrium Reflect or similar product. It is free, reliable and member recommended. I think the key work is reliable. You might want to practice on another system if you have one lying around.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

I also found this as reference.

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10

Not saying to do it just as reference.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 7, 2017
  15. Ken, you are a life saver. I was giving up on the will to live.
    I changed the url setting from Opera to Internet Explorer ( Not IE - confusing !) and hey presto all seems to be ok.
    Opera works fine and the few icons that now have an"O" work as they should - including BBC.
    Many thanks, R.

Romeo Hotel, Oct 8, 2017
Thema:

Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url.

1. Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url. - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcuts wrong

2. Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..: I prefer some of my desktop short cuts for browser URLs to open as separate windows to provide more of seperate APP feel vs a new browser TAB. I'm using Google Chrome Version 111.0.5563.147 Official Build 64-bit to accomplish that , creating short cuts and checking the box to...
  3. Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..: I prefer some of my desktop short cuts for browser URLs to open as separate windows to provide more of seperate APP feel vs a new browser TAB. I'm using Google Chrome Version 111.0.5563.147 Official Build 64-bit to accomplish that , creating short cuts and checking the box to...
  4. URL shortcut - open with

in Browsers and Email
    URL shortcut - open with: You can make shortcuts for programs, but a special thing is to make shortcuts to web URL's The thing is, if you right click on these, there's no open to open this URL with this or that browser. I would prefer that you have that option for each separate URL shortcut, but then...
  5. URL shortcut - open with

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    URL shortcut - open with: You can make shortcuts for programs, but a special thing is to make shortcuts to web URL's The thing is, if you right click on these, there's no open to open this URL with this or that browser. I would prefer that you have that option for each separate URL shortcut, but then...
  6. Desktop Shortcuts opening on the wrong monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Shortcuts opening on the wrong monitor: Hello, Whenever I try to open a desktop shortcut on my main monitor left, the program consistently appears on the wrong monitor right. I only have this problem if I open the shortcut from the actual desktop, but not when I open the shortcut from the Desktop folder in...
  7. URL shortcut

URL shortcut: How do you create a desktop shortcut to a URL? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/url-shortcut/69caf9fd-eb33-4320-8bd4-10f73cb13790
  8. shortcut to URL misbehaves

shortcut to URL misbehaves: When I drag the lock icon from a browser address-bar (opened to a URL) to the desktop, a shortcut to that webpage is supposed to form, but when I click that 'shortcut', it is NOT a browser that opens, but a print (queue ?) window. That same response of inappropriately...
  9. Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop: It has always been easy to create a shortcut to a URL on the Windows desktop using the following procedure: 1. Copy the URL from the browser address bar 2. Use the mouse context menu on the desktop 3. Choose New> Shortcut from the menu 4. Paste the URL into the field...
  10. Set Desktop Shortcuts to Run As Administrator (.urls)

in Windows 10 Support
    Set Desktop Shortcuts to Run As Administrator (.urls): So long story short I've created a brand new install of Windows 10 and created a local Administrator account called Pete. I placed a bunch of standard .url shortcuts on the desktop that open in IE11. My problem is that some of these sites need need iexplore.exe to Run As...