Windows 10: Desktop Shortcuts to Mapped Drives Stop Working After a User Logs out

Discus and support Desktop Shortcuts to Mapped Drives Stop Working After a User Logs out in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have a user that has a drive mapped to a folder on their server which functions properly...I then placed a short cut to this drive on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Steve Blair, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Desktop Shortcuts to Mapped Drives Stop Working After a User Logs out

Hello,

I have a user that has a drive mapped to a folder on their server which functions properly...I then placed a short cut to this drive on the users desktop...The short cut will work for a day but then when the user tries to use the shortcut the next day she will double click on it the first time and get an error to the effect that the path to the mapped drive no longer exists (but it does and is present in File Explorer)...If the user double clicks the shortcut the second time it will open..

I have created the shortcut by dragging it on to the desk top and also from Right Click on Desktop -> New -> Shortcut and then enter the file path in the corresponding field...These have both worked for a day as I said earlier but when the user logs out and comes in the next day they get the error that I described above...

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Thanks!!!

Steve

:)

Steve Blair, Jul 24, 2018

2. Stop Windows from Automatically Changing Shortcuts on my Desktop that are linked to a mapped network drive location.

I have shortcuts on my desktop targeted to a folder on a mapped network drive I created (S:/). The Mapped drive is connected to a folder on the C:/ drive of same computer that has the shortcuts on the desktop. The mapped network drive is set to reconnect
    at log in. Everything works fine until I reboot my PC. When I reboot, windows 10 is automatically changing my short cuts to target the file on the C:/ drive and not the mapped network drive. I believe this is happening because Windows is set to change
    perceived bad links before it connects to the mapped network drive. I am trying to find a way to stop windows from changing short cuts on my desktop when the drive has not yet connected.

alpinejones, Jul 24, 2018
  3. CraigS Win User
    Work Mapped drives not working at home.

Hello All.

I have a user at work that has a laptop as her main work use (docking station at work, then takes it home to work at home).
    we have a list of mapped network drives that we use here, including a personal drive.

however when this user gets home or off the network, the personal drive seems to become inactive/go missing.

there are no USB drives that interfere with the network drives, and i am lost looking for solutions.

any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

CraigS, Jul 24, 2018
  4. Desktop Shortcuts to Mapped Drives Stop Working After a User Logs out

rotate maps on desktop

Rotate maps? If you want to turn your desktop 90/180/270 degrees it's different per videocard vendor. It's in the options though, Intel has ctrl+alt+arrow shortcuts, nv and ati have it listed as well in their control panels.

DanTheBanjoman, Jul 24, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Shortcuts to Mapped Drives Stop Working After a User Logs out

1. Desktop Shortcuts to Mapped Drives Stop Working After a User Logs out - Similar Threads - Desktop Shortcuts Mapped

2. Mapping desktop out of OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping desktop out of OneDrive folder: Hello, I am not a fan of automatic cloud backup and wanted to disable all onedrive connectivity. I noted that for windows 11, my desktop was automatically mapped to a onedrive folder. I had already turned off backup options and uninstalled the onedrive app. I followed the...
  3. User Account Log In Credentials Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Account Log In Credentials Stopped Working: We have a peer to peer network consisting of 4 desktops and 7 laptops, all running windows 10, all shared to everyone on the network. The desktops are running pro 21H2. One of the desktops named "OFFICE" suddenly decided that the log in credentials to "SALES" are no longer...
  4. User Account Log In Credentials Stopped Working

User Account Log In Credentials Stopped Working: We have a peer to peer network consisting of 4 desktops and 7 laptops, all running windows 10, all shared to everyone on the network. The desktops are running pro 21H2. One of the desktops named "OFFICE" suddenly decided that the log in credentials to "SALES" are no longer...
  5. User Account Log In Credentials Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Windows shortcut keys stopped working but works for new user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows shortcut keys stopped working but works for new user: Windows key shortcuts suddenly stopped working Windows 10Few weeks ago i plugged an external keyboard tm680 into my laptop and i used the windows key lock function on my external keyboard. After I was finished using it i turned the windows key back on and ever since then some...
  7. A mapped drive stopped working after a reported computer crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A mapped drive stopped working after a reported computer crash: the access to the main pc over the network using correct credentials for a user on that pc seems to be denied claiming \\ [peer server] is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource..........The pcs are on the same subnet, wired to the same...
  8. A mapped drive stopped working after a reported computer crash

A mapped drive stopped working after a reported computer crash: the access to the main pc over the network using correct credentials for a user on that pc seems to be denied claiming \\ [peer server] is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource..........The pcs are on the same subnet, wired to the same...
  9. A mapped drive stopped working after a reported computer crash

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Mapping a Network Drive + Shortcut

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapping a Network Drive + Shortcut: I'm using this piece of code in a batch file to map the network drive. However, I'd like it to make a shortcut of that folder on the desktop and rename it. What would I add to the code to do that? Also, ideally, it would be nice if this piece of code set the icon for the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop shortcut stops working after resart in win 10

2. shortcuts stop working after i restart

3. win 10 stop desktop shortcut address from changing

4. shortcut to network drive no longer works,
  5. windows 10 shortcut keys for desktop is not working after restart,
  6. shortcut keys stop working after reboot,
  7. windows shortcut changing mapped drives automatically,
  8. administrator password changed mapped drive stops working,
  9. shortcuts to mapped network drives not initially working windows 10,
  10. mapped drives stop working after restart,
  11. shotcuts for mapped drives wont stay on desktop,