Windows 10: Desktop switch to taskbar

Discus and support Desktop switch to taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have the problem of applications or games switching off to taskbar suddenly. I am running the latest Windows 10 Creator update. Can this be a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by greeny, Nov 1, 2017.

1. greeny Win User

Desktop switch to taskbar

I have the problem of applications or games switching off to taskbar suddenly. I am running the latest Windows 10 Creator update. Can this be a hardware fault?

Any help highly appreciated.

:)

greeny, Nov 1, 2017
  2. DonaldMP Win User

[BUG] Windows 10 taskbar items don't preserve order when switching between workspaces

Hi there,

I have been experiencing a problem with taskbar items. When switching between desktops (aka workspaces), the taskbar items of the previous desktop(s) revert back to the order in which they were opened. For example,

1) Open some programs in current the desktop and rearrange the taskbar items.

2) Switch to Desktop 2 by pressing (Win + Ctrl + →) or (Win + Tab + selecting Desktop 2)

3) Switch back to Desktop 1 by pressing (Win + Ctrl +
    ) or (Win + Tab + selecting Desktop 1)

4) Notice the order in which you placed the taskbar items (from Step 1) was not preserved. They reverted back to the order in which the programs were opened instead

When switching between desktops, I need the order of their taskbar items to be preserved so I don't have to keep rearranging every time I switch.

DonaldMP, Nov 1, 2017
  3. Enable different active Taskbar buttons per Virtual Desktop

When I switch from one virtual desktop to another, the active Taskbar Buttons from a different Virtual Desktop are still present. Is there a way that only the active Taskbar Buttons of the active (currently displayed) Virtual Desktop will be visible on
    the Taskbar?

Steve Dhagz, Nov 1, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there, greeny. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

Do you mean the thumbnail disappears? Does the app or game remain open? What happens if you press Alt/Tab?

Tony K, Nov 1, 2017
  5. greeny Win User
    The applications/games just switch to the Taskbar. Desktop icons still there.

greeny, Nov 1, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Do you mean the app or game windows disappear to the Taskbar, but they remain running?

Tony K, Nov 1, 2017
  7. greeny Win User
    They disappear but still running when closing to the Taskbar.

greeny, Nov 1, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

Did you install anything recently? Did you create a Restore Point via System Protection lately by any chance?

How soon after you maximize the window does it disappear again?

Tony K, Nov 1, 2017
  9. greeny Win User
    This only happens once . Usually after the first few minutes after Win load. I don't use the Restore feature on my system.

greeny, Nov 1, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    Do you overclock?

Please open Task Manager (Ctrl/Shift/Esc or WinKey/X and choose) > Startup tab > List the programs here.

Tony K, Nov 1, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    I need to get to bed. It may be a startup program causing this. You may want to try this. Print out the steps so you have them.

Start your PC in Safe Mode: Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

If you are able open the windows normally and stay maximized in safe mode, then check if any third party applications in startup items is causing this issue.

From Start, search for msconfig

Select msconfig or System Configuration from the search results.

On the General tab, tap or click the Normal Startup option.

Tap or click the Services tab, clear the check box beside Hide all Microsoft services, and then tap or click Enable all.

Click the Startup tab, and then tap or click Open Task Manager.

In task manager, enable all of your startup programs, and then tap or click OK.

When you are prompted to restart the computer, tap or click Restart.

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop switch to taskbar - Similar Threads - Desktop switch taskbar

2. Icons in taskbar went transparent after switching virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons in taskbar went transparent after switching virtual desktops: Quite often after switching between virtual desktops some icons in taskbar become transparent. Reinstalling drivers, updating, restarting Explorer did not help....
  3. Icons in taskbar went transparent after switching virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons in taskbar went transparent after switching virtual desktops: Quite often after switching between virtual desktops some icons in taskbar become transparent. Reinstalling drivers, updating, restarting Explorer did not help....
  4. After virtual desktop switch, taskbar buttons are rearranged!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After virtual desktop switch, taskbar buttons are rearranged!: Same issue reported December, 2019: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-the-desktop-switch-the-taskbar-buttons-are/c42ccb34-52dd-4ab8-a7a9-b072e3e7eb5cBut the issue still occurs 2023... Setting the group policy mentioned in above thread didn't solve...
  5. After virtual desktop switch, taskbar buttons are rearranged!

After virtual desktop switch, taskbar buttons are rearranged!: Same issue reported December, 2019: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-the-desktop-switch-the-taskbar-buttons-are/c42ccb34-52dd-4ab8-a7a9-b072e3e7eb5cBut the issue still occurs 2023... Setting the group policy mentioned in above thread didn't solve...
  6. After virtual desktop switch, taskbar buttons are rearranged!

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Desktop switch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop switch: I created a second desktop from the taskbar. In that desktop, trying to open certain applications such as Edge will automatically send me back to the first desktop instead and vice versa.Is it possible to open a same application in 2 different desktops? Else, is it possible...
  8. Desktop switch

Desktop switch: I created a second desktop from the taskbar. In that desktop, trying to open certain applications such as Edge will automatically send me back to the first desktop instead and vice versa.Is it possible to open a same application in 2 different desktops? Else, is it possible...
  9. Strange taskbar transparency during desktop switch...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange taskbar transparency during desktop switch...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/AnonNr3 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h06wjd/strange_taskbar_transparency_during_desktop_switch/
  10. After the desktop switch, the taskbar buttons are rearranged

in Windows 10 Customization
    After the desktop switch, the taskbar buttons are rearranged: Hi I've one monitor and two desktops, that usually switch between them. But when I back to previous desktop, the taskbar buttons are rearranged and sorted differently from what I made. Is there any option to keep the previous order of buttons?...