Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager randomly taking focus

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager randomly taking focus in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 a few weeks ago. No problems for the first couple of weeks but now I have a really annoying glitch where programs that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Salubritas, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Desktop Window Manager randomly taking focus

I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 a few weeks ago. No problems for the first couple of weeks but now I have a really annoying glitch where programs that I am using randomly lose focus for a moment, sometimes to the extent of flashing rapidly. All programs are affected but explorer.exe seems particular prone to the flashing.

I downloaded the Happy Droid focus.exe utility to find out what was taking the focus and it turned out to be the Desktop Window Manager system process!

I have updated the graphics driver (Intel HD Graphics 4600 integrated) to the latest after a BSOD that was traced to the driver, but still have the focus glitch. All updates have been applied from Windows Update.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next! Any help much appreciated.

:)

Salubritas, Sep 23, 2015
  2. IAmAPC Win User

Windows 10 Build 10532 Not Installing

My install had the message, "This is taking longer than usual." It finally completed and got the prompt to login. Once in the desktop is empty and continually blinks. The arrow has the spinning circle. I fear this is in some retry loop. I cannot
    get the Win flag to respond. I can right click and bring up Task Manager. From there I can eventually get a command prompt. Should I also follow these steps? The blinking window takes focus away from the command window. I have to continually bring it into
    focus to do anything. From the task manager I can get programs to run. Otherwise I am hosed. Thank you

IAmAPC, Sep 23, 2015
  3. samsung focus frozen on samsung screen!

my samsung focus is frozen on the samsung screen when it turns on. it randomly turned off and on , by itself but it stayed stuck on the samsung screen. i tried the master reset but it still freezes on the samsung screen.. how can i fix it without taking
    it in ?

samerickson, Sep 23, 2015
Thema:

Desktop Window Manager randomly taking focus

1. Desktop Window Manager randomly taking focus - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager

2. Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes!: Hello everyone, This is my first post on any kind of tech-support forum. Usually, 99% of the time i find a solution online, reading other threads, etc - but not for this issue. As the title clearly states, I am experiencing high (really high) GPU spikes from desktop window...
  3. desktop window manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop window manager: Desktop Window Manager is not listed under services.msc. How can I get DWM back? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-window-manager/64b6be44-ffac-4195-9e4a-c89f77448c10
  4. Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe) taking up high GPU resources

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe) taking up high GPU resources: Ever since 10/10, the Windows service "Desktop Window Manager" or DWM.exe has been taking up a lot of GPU processing. It can go as high as 12% or more during normal use, but the real problem is that it jumps as high as 50% usage during a game, severely reducing my...
  5. Active window randomly loses focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Active window randomly loses focus: On the new computer I got about 2 months ago, the window I am using sometimes loses focus at random. I can be typing something and then suddenly it will stop accepting my input and make a sound, or I could be scrolling and suddenly it would stop. I can't even play Minecraft...
  6. Desktop manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop manager: How do you open more than one desktop? I was able to do so before the latest update and now i just can figure out how to get this desktops open. Is there a way to getting to the previous versions when i was able to do so? i hate this new version...
  7. Loose microUSB connection causes Explorer window to keep taking focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Loose microUSB connection causes Explorer window to keep taking focus: My mobile phone has a bad microUSB connection, possibly caused by an accumulation of dirt I can't remove or the fatigue and misshaping of metal or plastics. The result is that when I plug my phone into my PC and set it on my desk, the next five minutes whilst the cable...
  8. Stop other progs taking focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop other progs taking focus: I am plagued by software running in the background such as backup that pops up a window over what I am working on. If I am busy typing and fail to notice my typing is wasted! It is extremely irritating. It isn't a particular Win 10 issue I suppose but that is what I am using....
  9. No application focused after switching desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    No application focused after switching desktop: As the title says, after switching desktops, no application is focused. This is extremely annoying, because additional ALT+TAB is required just to start typing. I was excited about this feature and it looks really great, but this small bug makes it almost unusable for me. 21281
  10. Random explorer.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Random explorer.exe stealing focus: I installed Win 10 x64 Home the other day and since then I have had nothing but problems. At random, explorer.exe will steal focus from the active task (can be firefox, can be Word doesn't matter what it is) making the system almost unusable. Current Hardware specs:...