Windows 10: Desktop with Ethernet cannot connect to Internet but phone can

Discus and support Desktop with Ethernet cannot connect to Internet but phone can in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A few days ago my Windows 10 desktop suddenly stopped being able to connect to the Internet. It was literally a case of it worked fine - nothing was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RedKMan, Nov 17, 2016.

1. RedKMan Win User

Desktop with Ethernet cannot connect to Internet but phone can

A few days ago my Windows 10 desktop suddenly stopped being able to connect to the Internet. It was literally a case of it worked fine - nothing was changed or downloaded and then two hours later I could not load any web pages. My desktop does not have a wireless card and it is connected to the Netgear router via an Ethernet cable. I tried re-installing the modem router via the Smart Wizard software and got an error saying the cable or router could not be located. I could connect to the router page via 192.168.0.1. I contacted my ISP and they confirmed they could see me connected.

Today, I got a brand new Netgear router, plugged it in but still my desktop could not connect to the Internet. I can confirm the router is working perfectly because I was able to the connect to it via my phone and laptop wirelessly. I am now on the Internet but my Win10 desktop is still not working.

A new network was created when I plugged in the new router but as before in Network Connections screen I have:-

Local Area Connection - Device Name: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - Connectivity: No Internet Access.

In the screen from right clicking the start button and choosing Network Connections if I click the Local Area Connection I get IPv4Connectivity: No Internet Access.

I checked and no updated from anything were downloaded during the three hour period when it was working to not working. In Device Manager the Realtek is working fine, it is enabled.

I cannot download anything on my desktop because it will not connect to the Internet. I cannot use the 192.168.0.1 screen int the browser to access the Netgear router page. I'm totally totally stumped *Sad. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

:)

RedKMan, Nov 17, 2016

2. Cannot connect to ethernet but can connect to wireless

Hi Steven,

Sorry to know you are still facing this issue.

I would suggest you to reset the router and check if it helps.To do so refer the router manual for more information and contact their support.

Reply us if you have any further queries we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Nov 17, 2016
  3. Cannot connect to ethernet but can connect to wireless

I have tried all of these steps, I'm thinking it may be a router issue, I've tried everything I can do from my end. The Ethernet ports don't seem to be working, its rented from AT&T so I will have to call them about it.

StevenNorman, Nov 17, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Open a CNC prompt type ipconfig /all post result's we are looking to see if dhcp is enabled. Are you sure the cable is good does the router show a light for the port were the cable goes in?

Samuria, Nov 17, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Just try disabling the Ethernet adapter on the PC and then re-enabling it again. Use "Open Network and sharing Centre".

Sometimes this "Just works". Don't ask me why -- Windows Networking has more mysteries than the entire species "Homo Sapiens".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 17, 2016
  6. RedKMan Win User
    Hi,

I would have to type out the results from IP Config because I'm using a laptop for this. I can confirm that it does say DHCP is enabled.

I'm not sure if I disabled / enabled the Ethernet Adapter, I went into Open Network and Sharing Centre and clicked "Change Adapter Settings" in the left of the screen and then right clicked the icon titled "Local Area Connection" and disabled / enabled it. Is this the Ethernet Adapter?

I have now managed to get into the Netgear Genie Router screen but when I run the Internet test (loads up NETGEAR) it fails.

I have notcied the light on the back of the Ethernet connection on the PC is red. Not sure what it was when it was working.

Thanks,

RedKMan, Nov 17, 2016
  7. RedKMan Win User
    I'm still plugging away trying to solve this issue. A couple of things I have discovered:-

I can perform nslookup google.com and then succesfully ping the returned IP address. I cannot however ping google.com

My DNSClientService is running in Services.

I now have the problem of my network permenantly stuck on "identifying" for hours and hours.

When I tried to ipconfig /flushdns it just hangs for hours again.

I'm just wondering if this info points to something maybe like a DNS problem?

Thanks,

RedKMan, Nov 18, 2016
  8. RedKMan Win User

NETSH winsock reset catalog to the rescue !!!!!

Typed the above in command prompt, reset PC and voila *Smile. That was so simple to fix it is annoying.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

RedKMan, Nov 18, 2016
  9. bbbobbbo Win User
    It has certainly helped me, after days of pulling my hair out and tons of useless searching all over the internet - THANKS, man!

bbbobbbo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop with Ethernet cannot connect to Internet but phone can - Similar Threads - Desktop Ethernet cannot

2. Cannot connect to internet through ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot connect to internet through ethernet cable: Hey there, I'm having some serious trouble getting an internet connection properly. So I recently moved and my internet was fine on my pc for months.Now for no apparent reason I'm struggling to get an internet connection.I did have some issues with the cooling on my pc and I...
  3. Cannot connect to internet through ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot connect to internet through ethernet cable: Hey there, I'm having some serious trouble getting an internet connection properly. So I recently moved and my internet was fine on my pc for months.Now for no apparent reason I'm struggling to get an internet connection.I did have some issues with the cooling on my pc and I...
  4. Cannot connect to internet through ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. No ethernet internet connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No ethernet internet connection: I had to reset my pc yesterday and after that it says no that there is no internet connection i alredy tried all solutions i coud find usb tethering from my phone doesn't work either...
  6. No ethernet internet connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No ethernet internet connection: I had to reset my pc yesterday and after that it says no that there is no internet connection i alredy tried all solutions i coud find usb tethering from my phone doesn't work either...
  7. Ethernet not connecting to the internet.

Ethernet not connecting to the internet.: I connect to the internet via an ethernet connection through electric powerline modules. It has been running great until a couple of days ago. My computer says that I'm connected with internet access until I run a diagnostic. It says that the connection between your access...
  8. Ethernet connected but no internet

Ethernet connected but no internet: Ethernet connected but no internet, my motherboard does not support wifi z170a. I have tried ipconfig /all ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew I've tried rebooting and doing netsh int ip reset and netsh winsock reset I've...
  9. Internet Slowdown on my Desktop - Ethernet Connection

Internet Slowdown on my Desktop - Ethernet Connection: A few days ago, I lost my internet connection on my HP desktop, where I use an ethernet cable. I contacted Verizon, and after some tests it was clear that the modem/router was not the problem as my other devices could access the web just fine via the WiFi connection. So it...
  10. Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless

Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless: My wireless symbol has changed and I can only connect to the internet when I put the ethernet cable into my laptop. What is wrong>...