Windows 10: Desktop with No Microsoft Account

Discus and support Desktop with No Microsoft Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; At the initial install of Win10 last summer which I did myself I purposefully avoided the 'set up Microsoft Account' on the desktop. I had a successful... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Rose W, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Rose W Win User

Desktop with No Microsoft Account

At the initial install of Win10 last summer which I did myself I purposefully avoided the 'set up Microsoft Account' on the desktop. I had a successful install overall and the system has updated smoothly with no major performance issues over the past year.
    The install retained the past Win7 pro routine of boot up and into my user account with no password involved.
    I'm in a one local user with administrator privileges setting. I don't use Cortana or the store and I have the tiles removed from the desktop view. Its a very plain jane looking Windows 10.
    Now I have read that the upcoming Anniversary update/upgrade could or will require a Microsoft Account.

A laptop sitting alongside was upgraded from version 8.1(home) by a technician before the desktop was upgraded and it has a Microsoft Account with the log in routine. It does not have a separate user account. There was so much disarray going from 8 to 8.1 that I wasn't willing to do the 8.1 to 10 myself so I hired that event out to someone skilled.
    I use a pin log in on the laptop and my local email address is displayed. I do not use the outlook.com structure.

My question is about the Microsoft Account. Is there an account PER machine or does the account that exists on the laptop cover any other machine in my name?
    So if I set up a Microsoft Account on this desktop do I tag onto the info that exists from the laptop or is it a completely separate account? I would be 'registered' with the same email from two separate Win 10 machines?
    I do not want to be IN a MSaccount on the desktop on a daily basis and I am not syncing data with the laptop.

The other issue is the NO PASSWORD currently for my dsktop user account. Unfortunately, I have never had a user log in password since Win95 and many machines. I don't know what to ask to do about that since that setup was done by a technician at time of purchase.

I have read the tutorials for this topic and overall the assumption is that there is a user password.

Of course, if a prerequisite of MSAccount present is not true then I'll continue as I am but if it is true then I'd rather be prepared in advance.

:)

Rose W, Jul 7, 2016

2. Cant setup HomeGroup in Windows 10

I also tried method 1 and got the same result.as RobertXM. My machine is a Lenovo desktop PC. I guess we would
    both appreciate some help from the community in resolving this problem. Thanks in anticipation.

Mawsoft - I am getting exactly the same problem. I have had to reinstall clean windows 10 after the anniversary update turned my leopard into a snail and while I have to reinstall everything else, I have also encountered this problem and there seems to have
    been no further updates on this problem.

Any help out there?

StephenRiley-Desktop Account, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Event ID 16002 Source AFD

I have just had the same problem within the last 12 hours. My wireless adapter Realtek RTL8188CE wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC was disabled, as I discovered in the end, Murphys Law was operating, as it was the last thing I checked and reset Desktop with No Microsoft Account :(. All had
    been, for 6 months, and was working well up until 21:45 and then it failed. The drivers are up to date and I am running windows 8.1 with IE11.0.23 with update KB3087038 installed.

I am loathe to install windows 10 at this stage, albeit continuing MS subtle and not so subtle pressure to do so, there are very many reasons, least of all the lack of lessons learned in the past from all the updates, in particular security ones, that had
    to be released after previous OS releases, usually to patch holes that had been already been fixed by patches in the prior OS and then come back again.

I have already had to override security, in 8.1, in order to reset defaults, sound in particular, in games apps from the store.

As an ex systems programmer such things didn't happen on my watch and I want to have more control over what is going on, not less.

Anyway back to the original problem, it has gone, for now, but I am intrigued as to what caused it in the first place. I did notice an additional network card, while I was trying to fix it, I cannot remember the details, it may have been Ethernet, as it
    is not listed under device manager this morning. I did have a new RJ45 to USB connector in place at the time and it is still connected currently.

StephenRiley-Desktop Account, Jul 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

There will be no requirement to have a MS Account for the Anniversary Update. I always start with a local account only and the Insider builds of the Anniversary Update have worked just exactly the same with no MS Account.

To answer your other questions, though, the same MS Account can be used on as many computers as you want.

NavyLCDR, Jul 7, 2016
  5. RWOne Win User
    Well, let's caveat that, so far I believe we have members with 6+ on a single MS account, we hope the number may be higher ... *Smile

RWOne, Jul 7, 2016
  6. Rose W Win User
    RE: NavyLCDR: though, the same MS Account can be used on as many computers as you want.

Hmmm....I figure I'm not getting my head around the 'account structure' then....
    MS Account
    ..........password and email into My Account
    .............Computer 1
    ............ Computer 2 (same password, same email)
    ............ device ( smart phone - same password,same email)
    So it appears the account is a location (get into the store, storage etc) and it is open to whatever device accesses that location.
    I read in another user post here that they wanted to have the same password on two machines but the preferred advice was to have two separate passwords since it was two users; each are on their own machine.
    At any rate if it is not expected to have an Account setup in one machine for the Aug update then I'll wait and see.
    Thanks for the input.

Rose W, Jul 7, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    There are two separate scenarios, Rose W:

1. You are the person who basically wants the same information available on many different devices. I'm the computer guru in my house and I "administer" 11 different computers at home. Plus I have my cell phone. Therefore I have my personal MS Account login which is exactly the same for me on each of those computers. Using the same MS Account for all the devices allows some items to stay in sync. The simplest of items is my username and password. If I change my password on 1 computer - it gets changed on all the computers (as long as they are connected to the internet when I log on).

2. Different users want their own accounts. My wife has her own log in on the several computers she uses on a regular basis. My daughter has her own log in on several computers. My mother-in-law and father-in-law have their own log ins. That's when you would use different usernames and different passwords.

3. If I went with a local account only for my log ins, then I could still keep the same username and password for myself on all the computers - but nothing would sync across the computers. If I wanted to change my password, then I would have to change it individually on each computer separately.

NavyLCDR, Jul 7, 2016
  8. Rose W Win User

RE: You are the person who basically wants the same information available on many different devices. - Different users want their own accounts.
    Okay. That is straight forward and understood. I have no need to have same info on the laptop. Its a specific use item with no need for all data from the desktop. I have the two machines networked with a shared path to some specific folders and that is for moving the specific use files over. I take the laptop to events or presentations so the log in is valid.
    My issue with the desktop was the absence of a log in password in my current user account. I didn't think that would survive with the MSAccount routine.
    I can see 'administrating' 11 different computers would be made more efficient with this synchronization.
    Thanks for the extra explanation/illustration.

Rose W, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop with No Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Desktop Microsoft Account

2. New Desktop login to Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Desktop login to Microsoft Account: I just install my new desktop for my work, and I try login to Microsoft account and it said it send the pass code to my work email but i have wait for hours and there is no passcode. Please help me, thank you...
  3. Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless: I can't make the Remote Desktop works with my Microsoft account. It seems it does not work with Accounts that have passwordless option ON. Could you please confirm this information?...
  4. Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop with Microsoft account passwordless: I can't make the Remote Desktop works with my Microsoft account. It seems it does not work with Accounts that have passwordless option ON. Could you please confirm this information?...
  5. RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account: I am having trouble using RDP to connect to a desktop that I have just configured using my Microsoft account. I have tried the steps in the below running the link runas /u:MicrosoftAccount\*** Email address is removed for privacy *** winver but am not able to enter the...
  6. RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account

RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account: I am having trouble using RDP to connect to a desktop that I have just configured using my Microsoft account. I have tried the steps in the below running the link runas /u:MicrosoftAccount\*** Email address is removed for privacy *** winver but am not able to enter the...
  7. Remote desktop not working with microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop not working with microsoft account: I have my Win 10 desktop set up with a Microsoft account, and would like to access the desktop with remote desktop, more specifically the RD Client app on android made by Microsoft. I have not been able to get the app to work with a Microsoft account however. Whenever I try...
  8. Remote desktop not working with microsoft account

Remote desktop not working with microsoft account: I have my Win 10 desktop set up with a Microsoft account, and would like to access the desktop with remote desktop, more specifically the RD Client app on android made by Microsoft. I have not been able to get the app to work with a Microsoft account however. Whenever I try...
  9. Remote desktop not working with microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Adding Desktop to Microsoft Account remotely.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Adding Desktop to Microsoft Account remotely.: I gave a Dell Inspiron 8347 to my nephew. I removed it from my Microsoft Account. I would like to put it back on there. Is that possible without logging into the desktop. The desktop is locked and I have to send him a recovery CD. I would like to add it remotely....